Finally got it - Kasco Versa-Drill - Questions - Transfered from QDMA forum

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
Well, I finally found a used 4' Kasco versa drill used and within driving distance. I picked it up in SC today and brought it back to VA. Here it is:
1e201ee7-078b-424a-b437-6c925b991c57.jpg

It seems to be in very nice shape. It does seem to have something missing:
383754ad-f1f1-42d2-8472-6a18684270a5.jpg

It looks like there need to be a drive chain between the gear box and the sprocket at the end of the cultipacker and I presume some kind of cover for it. For those of you who have Versa-Drills, do these seem to be the only things missing?
Also, I've got a couple questions about use. The manual is somewhat vague to put it mildly. It does have a seed chart. It gives ranges of seed rates for pure stands and provides the appropriate settings. It also says that the seeding rate is related to the tractor speed.
1) How does that work since the seed metering system is driven by rotation of the sprocket on the cultipacker? I would think that going faster would simply make it turn faster and drop more seed.
2) What tractor speed do you usually use for the things you plant?
Thanks,
Jack

Last edited:
buckdeer1;199270 said:
Yes there is a drive chain and cover missing,You might be able to call and get the parts list and updated manual.The rate seems pretty close on mine but the cultipacker doesn't cover real well but it breaks the dirt up enough so that a rain will finish any covering needed. You just have to watch that the seed drive is turning and that you don't have too much pressure on your cultipacker that the chain on it come loose and quits feeding seed.Let me know if you need pictures of a complete one

that would be great if you could post a couple pics!

Any other Kasco owners out there willing to comment or post pics?
Thanks,
Jack

benallgood;199637 said:
I can probably get some pictures tomorrow, but it looks like the box the houses the chain is missing as well as the chain and the protector cage. I'll try to take some detailed pictures tomorrow.
benallgood;199786 said:
MISSING PIC

MISSING PIC

MISSING PIC

MISSING PIC

MISSING PIC

Here are the pictures. Mine has the wheel metering system for the seed instead of on the cultipacker.

Thanks! I think mine is slightly different. It looks like yours has the drive wheel option. Mine does not. It looks to me as though mine attaches directly to the sprocket on the cultipacker.
Does anyone have one without the drive wheel option?
Thanks,
Jack

benallgood;199789 said:
Yep. Mine has the wheel, but it looks like a chain is missing which goes from the sprocket on the metering system, runs around the roller, then back to the sprocket on the cultipacker. That and the guard.

benallgood;199842 said:
Yes. And, it stays in contact with the ground easier as it sits lower than than the cultipacker.

buckdeer1;199883 said:
Mine also runs off the cultipacker I believe but here are some pics

Thanks to all! Ordered the parts from Kasco today. The pics will help me hook it up right :)

buckdeer1;200014 said:
I need to call them because if I don't keep my cultipacker at the right level the chain comes off and seed quits coming out but you don't have to have the blades very deep and on flat ground it's not too big of deal.

Yes, I would guess this wouldn't be an issue if you had the wheel. If I was buying a new one, I would have gotten the wheel, legume box, and agitator, but I can't complain for the price. I also asked Kasco and they said that you can actually add some of these in the field if you are willing to do a little cutting and welding.
Thanks,
Jack

nickT;200170 said:
Is anyone using there Kasco to plant switchgrass? If so any info would be great.

NickT,
I just got mine and haven't used it for anything yet. But, I know it is possible. When I was looking at seed drills, I found that you can buy a Kasco with a NWSG box. When I bought this used one I checked with the company to find out what options could be field added. I was surprised to find that most of the options can be added in the field, even additional boxes although it does require a little cutting and welding. I didn't ask about the NWSG box specifically, but the guy from Kasco told me that adding the legume box is about a 4 hour job.
You'll have to check with others as to how well it works for NWSG.
Thanks,
Jack

charliedunn;200345 said:
Hi all,
just wondering your all's thoughts on the versa drill vs. plotter's choice drill?? i am about to order a 6 foot plotters choice, but wonder if i need to rethink. the versa drill is quite a bit more $$$.
thanks
charlie
Alpha Doe;200346 said:
Is the Plotters Choice a drill or more like the Firminator with the disks?

I believe the difference is a regular drill verses a no-till drill. With the Kasco Plotter's Choice, you need to till and prepare a seed bed. This means you will need a plow and disk or tiller. With a no-till drill, you don't need to prepare a seed bed.
From my perspective, the Kasco Plotter's Choice will let you plant more variety of seed sizes than most grain drills or planters, but if possible I would go with the Versa-Drill or Eco-Drill, both of which are no-till.
Not only do you save fuel and time when you avoid tilling, you also conserve soil moisture. You can also till right through existing perennial crops like clover. (See my other thread).
If it were me, I would buy a 4' Versa-drill verses a 6' Plotter's Choice, if I were buying new and was limited on funds. A 4' drill can do every thing a 6' drill can do with a few more passes. A regular drill can not do what a No-Till drill can do regardless of size.
Thanks,
Jack

Alpha Doe;200365 said:
These no-till drills get the work done in a fraction of the time. They are not the answer for every application, like when lime needs to be applied, but they work great for planting.
charliedunn;200370 said:
thanks for the replies. Both of these are made by kasco and it was my understanding that both are no till. My impression was that the versa drill are made a little heavier (more ag grade) where the plotter's choice is more for "wannabe" farmers (ie food plotters) like me.
Wondering if any of you who bought kasco looked at the plotter's choice and if so id you decided against it for some reason.
thanks
charlie
wvbowbender;200371 said:
Can these no-till drills be rented anywhere. Are they like a walk-behind tiller, or can they be pulled with a 4-wheeler?
Thanks, Bob

charliedunn;200370 said:
thanks for the replies. Both of these are made by kasco and it was my understanding that both are no till. My impression was that the versa drill are made a little heavier (more ag grade) where the plotter's choice is more for "wannabe" farmers (ie food plotters) like me.
Wondering if any of you who bought kasco looked at the plotter's choice and if so id you decided against it for some reason.
thanks
charlie

I think I was wrong about it not being no-till. I found a handy chart that gives you a quick comparison: http://www.beavervalleysupply.com/sectionb/kascoseed.htm
When I looked at them, I wanted to go with the Eco Drill. The big problem was cost. I ended up going with the Versa drill simply because I found a good used one in my area. I would like to add an agitator and legume box eventually. I think the table shows additional seed boxes are not options on the plotters choice.
Hopefully you'll find some plotters choice users out there.
Thanks,
Jack

wvbowbender;200371 said:
Can these no-till drills be rented anywhere. Are they like a walk-behind tiller, or can they be pulled with a 4-wheeler?
Thanks, Bob
I've never seen one for rent. In some states, you can rent large no-till drills from the soil conservation service, but not in my area. The one I bought is a 3-point hitch model, but they do sell them rigged to be pulled behind an ATV.
See the link on my previous post for some pictures. Kasco has some video on their site of some of these in action.

Thanks,
Jack

charliedunn;200616 said:
thanks for all your help. i will likely get the 6 foot kasco plotmaster.
Jack: the chart was great. thanks
charlie

Updated Picture Links