Fertilizing switch

scott44

5 year old buck +
Last year I fetilized a screen of switch and it took off to 5-6'. On Monday I did the same with a couple fields, I fertilized at 50lbs/acre urea. I did this knowing we were going to get some rain on Monday and we got 3/10. Has anyone else fertilized their switch? If so what did you use?

Last edited:
A couple pics of the switch screeming I fertilized.

8/22/14

1/2/15

Last year I fetilized a screen of switch and it took off to 5-6'. On Monday I did the same with a couple fields, I fertilized at 50lbs/acre urea. I did this knowing we were going to get some rain on Monday and we got 3/10. Has anyone else fertilized their switch? If so what did you use?

I have not tried it but like the idea in key areas. Is that 50lbs of actual Nitrogen or 50 lbs of Urea?

I have not tried it but like the idea in key areas. Is that 50lbs of actual Nitrogen or 50 lbs of Urea?
50lbs Urea

Since switch is a grass and grasses LOVE nitrogen spreading Pelletized urea would do the trick I would think. I have never done it but may try it to thicken it up in areas where it isn't the strongest. I have trouble with johnsongrass as well so I have to get it addressed first - no point in feeding true weeds.

Since Switch is a warm season grass when would you add the nitrogen? Does switch have a sweet spot when nitrogen would benefit it the most?

Since Switch is a warm season grass when would you add the nitrogen? Does switch have a sweet spot when nitrogen would benefit it the most?
I added it maybe a little early but my thiught are you don't want to add it when the cool graases and weeds are just starting in the spring so I wold say june/july IMO.