All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fertilizing switch

scott44

5 year old buck +
Last year I fetilized a screen of switch and it took off to 5-6'. On Monday I did the same with a couple fields, I fertilized at 50lbs/acre urea. I did this knowing we were going to get some rain on Monday and we got 3/10. Has anyone else fertilized their switch? If so what did you use?

Last edited:
A couple pics of the switch screeming I fertilized.

8/22/14

1/2/15

Last year I fetilized a screen of switch and it took off to 5-6'. On Monday I did the same with a couple fields, I fertilized at 50lbs/acre urea. I did this knowing we were going to get some rain on Monday and we got 3/10. Has anyone else fertilized their switch? If so what did you use?

I have not tried it but like the idea in key areas. Is that 50lbs of actual Nitrogen or 50 lbs of Urea?

I have not tried it but like the idea in key areas. Is that 50lbs of actual Nitrogen or 50 lbs of Urea?
50lbs Urea

Since switch is a grass and grasses LOVE nitrogen spreading Pelletized urea would do the trick I would think. I have never done it but may try it to thicken it up in areas where it isn't the strongest. I have trouble with johnsongrass as well so I have to get it addressed first - no point in feeding true weeds.

Since Switch is a warm season grass when would you add the nitrogen? Does switch have a sweet spot when nitrogen would benefit it the most?

Since Switch is a warm season grass when would you add the nitrogen? Does switch have a sweet spot when nitrogen would benefit it the most?
I added it maybe a little early but my thiught are you don't want to add it when the cool graases and weeds are just starting in the spring so I wold say june/july IMO.