Fertilizing goldenrod to create bedding cover

Mike

A good 3 year old buck
I have a small forest opening on my property that is mainly goldenrod and some other native cool season grasses. I was thinking of fertilizing that area early summer to see if I can get the goldenrod to come up taller to create better bedding cover. Anybody tried this and if so what were your results?

There is no doubt that fertilizing will increase growth of not just the goldenrod, but also the other plants. However, in a forest opening (especially a small one) lack of nutrients is not usually the limiting factor for getting tall and thick weed cover. The first problem is lack of sunlight and the second problem is how that tree roots extend literally everywhere. They suck up moisture and nutrients - plus they limit root growth from plants below them on the successional ladder.

If I was standing there looking at the site, I could answer your question better. Fertilizer is expensive but you could try it one time and see what happens. If it doesn't help, you can stop doing it. My gut instinct is that it won't be worth it.

Last edited:
First question to ask is what does Goldenrod prefer, especially in the soil? Native already told you one requirement, sunlight. Why does goldenrod grow so well as fields regenerate , or on thin poor soils, or when fire has occurred? I doubt the answer is that it prefers good ph and amended soils. Observe plants and the soil and listen to what they are willing to teach.

I have a small forest opening on my property that is mainly goldenrod and some other native cool season grasses. I was thinking of fertilizing that area early summer to see if I can get the goldenrod to come up taller to create better bedding cover. Anybody tried this and if so what were your results?
I'd try spreading some red, white, and sweet clover 8 weeks before frost, as well as 300 lbs/ac of gypsum. Then give it a year and see what happens. Might not do squat. I'm not sure. I know where I've got goldenrod, it's very grass and fiber dominated. Simple idea is to try to add a low carbon, perennial, cool season, legume.

I would guess Native is pretty much spot on with the sunlight observation. Anything dealing with a woods opening, this is usually the limiting factor.

If you want cover in this area.....I would be frost seeding in some switchgrass into it. Not for it to take over but just to get some scattered clumps in that area to help thicken it up. It will provide a lot more cover value than golden rod will - especially in the late seasons. I would also be looking into adding in some other forbs as well. Something else that woodland soils tend to need checked if soil pH.....sure weeds will grow about anywhere, but if your soil pH is out of wack, any fertilizer your spreading is essentially wasted.