Fertilizer Method

Fall's Legend

5 year old buck +
This year I applied 80 fifty pound bags of fertilizer with a 3 point cyclone spreader. I have always applied it this way. But now I have a little bigger tractor and was thinking about purchasing my fertilizer matched exactly to my soil samples via the Co-Op and spreading it with one of their buggies.

I have about 8 acres of one continuous plot. The Co-Op is about 20 miles away and I have a V8 Tundra to pull it with. My ground is relatively flat, a couple of gentle slopes.

I have been applying fertilizer every year because my farm was an abused cash rent place. I only had to pay for 60 bags as I was donated the rest. The 60 was triple 13 at $14/bag.

Is the buggy approach a better way, or are there concerns I am not aware of as I have never done this before. Is the cost better or worse than bags? The bag method is OK, but I am getting older. 40 of the bags went down this past weekend and I feel it some. I should not have to apply so much fertilizer in the future as I am pretty good about rotation and commercial liming.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Okay, I will jump in here. You are right on the fence for a couple reasons. It is much easier to spread with a buggy no question. Assuming you are going to get 2 tons each time, you first concern is brakes. I am not a Tundra guy so will let others offer input there. Our co-op does not load more than 4 tons at a time (I think), and that is all I really want to stop with truck brakes alone. Next, 20 miles is a long haul. I probably only have to go 5 and I don't like that far. You are looking at 80 miles when it is all said and done for a load and to return the buggy. If your ground is relatively flat you should not have to worry about stopping the buggy loaded on a slope. My advise, get the buggy (2 tons) and see what you think. Physically, it will be much easier no doubt. Bulk fertilizer is also normally cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check and see what the Coop would charge to mix, deliver and spread the fertilizer. Our local coop has small truck spreaders for this. You'll probably find that they can do it cheaper, quicker and more efficiently than you can.

I get my fertilizer in a 6 ton spreader from farmers coop in MT Ayr Iowa and then I drag it to the farm in Missouri behind my pickup truck. I pull it with a 65hp 2wd tractor up and down hills with no problem. I only get about 5,000lbs of mixed fertilizer, so the spreader is no where near max capacity. With their spreaders you need a 540 pto, and a single set of hydraulics for engaging and disengaging the drive wheel to run the apron chain.

As long as you have a decent tractor, you should be good!

Thanks guys. I have a NH PowerStar 75HP, 4WD. Weighted wheels. It does have a 540 PTO. I was not aware of the Co-Op bringing a truck, they only mentioned renting spreaders. I will ask for sure, thanks.

MOBuck, can I ask approximately what you pay per 1000 lbs? And do they add any micro nutrients if you need them? Thanks.

WTNut,

I am not a Tundra fan either but will keep it until she dies. Already have 130K on it, want to go at least 300K. Call me cheap:)

I am not wanting to pull that far either, but being 57, it is getting tougher to load that much fertilizer. Thanks.

Thanks guys. I have a NH PowerStar 75HP, 4WD. Weighted wheels. It does have a 540 PTO.
Renting the buggy is the way to go. I did two, 2000 loads a year apart to build up my potassium levels. Only had to tow it about 8 miles. It spread a 80 ft swath. Did 5 acres in a couple minutes. Kinda went too quick, didn't get to enjoy the tractor time. ;) If I ever needed a large ammount of fertilizer, would do it again in a heartbeat!

I have seen 50' and 45' swath spreaders, never seen a 80' swath out of a pull type, nor would I want too. Half my food plot fertilizer would go off target!

WTNut,

I am not a Tundra fan either but will keep it until she dies. Already have 130K on it, want to go at least 300K. Call me cheap:)

I am not wanting to pull that far either, but being 57, it is getting tougher to load that much fertilizer. Thanks.

I don't have anything against Toyota, I just worry when people start asking questions about pulling. A friend of mine tried to pull his MF tractor for the first time to his farm (probably a 55-60 hp), he loaded it and maybe other things on the trailer. He came to the first stop light and without any trailer brakes it pushed him and his F-150 right through the intersection during heavy traffic. He wasn't hit, but was smart enough to pull off the road and wait for someone to come with a truck that could operate the trailer brakes.

Yep 80 foot is a lot!

I have 3/4 ton duramax. I regularly pull 6-8 tons of fertilizer 10 miles one way with it. Drive about 25 mph. I am mostly on flat roads. Get the spreader and never do it another way again. Unlike bags they can mix up whatever analysis it is that you are looking for. The price of fertilizer is always moving with corn prices. Corn prices are way down right now so you can load up on p and k pretty damn cheap.

Your tractor will handle the buggy no problem. Get a spreader that has a dual spinner and a 50 foot pattern as opposed to a single. The dual works much better. If you have some fence post laying around stake them at the edge of the plots every 50 feet and use them for a guide of where to drive.

If you dont want to pull the spreader down the road I am sure the coop would deliver it for about $50. They do around here all the time.

towing can be VERY dangerous. Knowing the limits of the truck and the experience level of the driver are both important. You get that much weight moving at a decent speed down the road and it can easily overcome a truck not equipped to handle it. Pulling is easy.....stopping is hard! I like the idea of the buggy, but it may be worth having it delivered. I see it every year where someone tries to pull a load of some sort and they either don't have enough truck or they are going too fast and they end up with a mess.

I see it once a year around here when the stupid guy pulling the spreader leaves with the drive wheel engaged right from the fertilizer plant. Nice white streak of expensive fertilizer down the highway until he reaches his destination. No one ever looks in their mirror for some reason pulling one of those spreaders!

Don't be that guy!!!

I have quite a bit of experience towing, including driving semis when I was a youngster, but I still don't like to do it. My Tundra has the tow package and I pulled my NH Boomer TC-45 all of the time with it in the past. Even then you still had to plan to stop. I will ask if they deliver, I would gladly go that route. Thanks for all of the help, including making sure the drive wheel is not engaged, I probably would be that guy! LOL.