Felco Loppers

Mortenson

5 year old buck +
What model of Felco loppers are you guys using? Same as with the hand shears, I see there are several different types. Any other premium brands as good or better? My plan is to only use these in the fruit orchards, and so don't mind paying a little extra for a name like Felco that I'll hopefully have for many years.

If you've got dewalt power tools, may I suggest the 1.5" pruner they have? Milwaukee sort of guy, the M12 hatchet or wait for the new M12 pruner to come out this Spring. Buy once, cry once and save your hand/wrists in the mean time!

Fiskars loppers work well for me

Mine have lasted for 10 years

Bought them at home depot

bill

I have Felco hand pruners, and Stihl loppers. Since you asked about loppers, I can say the Stihl set I have (PL-30), work great. I only use them on our apple & crab trees, & wipe with alcohol when going from one tree to another to prevent disease spreading. Felco and Corona are the brands that seem to be most often mentioned on fruit tree pruning & orchard sites. I've not used either of their big loppers.

I have Corona SL4264, purchased last year, havnt been real impressed with them. I may have to give Felco or Stihl a try. Did purchase a Stihl 08 hand saw recently, very happy with.

The thread from last year about pruning talks about felco shears n page 3.

Make sure you get bypass shears. Most pruning shears are bypass. Ordered the #8 felco yesterday $56 from pruning warehouse and free shipping.

I went with felcos because most others did not have an pivot bolt, almost all corona and stihl were a big rivet.

MY fedco 8's came in today. Didn't prune with it yet, but they are light, sharp, and smooth. Fedco 8's are aluminum frame so you can buy new blades.

Feel like the cadillac. Waiting for my B118's to come in before I do any pruning. Freshest scions.

Fiskars loppers work well for me

Mine have lasted for 10 years

Bought them at home depot

bill
Same here. I have the ratcheting ones, they'll cut from small to about 3" stuff.

If you've got dewalt power tools, may I suggest the 1.5" pruner they have? Milwaukee sort of guy, the M12 hatchet or wait for the new M12 pruner to come out this Spring. Buy once, cry once and save your hand/wrists in the mean time!

That m12 hatchet is pretty awesome, I have cut some big trees with it also. I have a couple silky saws and find myself reaching for it frequently. For smaller stuff I have two sizes of felcos also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im running a Felco 8 and have only one issue: the locking mechanism will swing too freely and sometimes lock back up while cutting which can be annoying but other than that I love mine... I've had by pass fiskars and other off brands and anvil cutters - I actually like my anvil fiskar but- that will bring forth the wrath... anyways I would say my Felco tops any brand I have had hands down
- it just feels like a real tool in your hands

I have said it many times there are a small list of go to tools not to skimp on, and I would say a hand pruner is one of those... save a bit and buy one for a lifetime

I have yet to find a set of hand loppers I have not grown to hate, break or wear out - get a silky hand saw

pole loppers are a different deal but I have mixed opinions on them... they are a niche tool

Last edited:
What model of Felco loppers are you guys using? Same as with the hand shears, I see there are several different types. Any other premium brands as good or better? My plan is to only use these in the fruit orchards, and so don't mind paying a little extra for a name like Felco that I'll hopefully have for many years.

I use the Corona lopper. Very good cutting shear and leveraged action.

I forgot to mention the ARS 8, I have heard good things about them - clearer sharper cuts then the Felco 8 and simpler lock unlock mechanism so I have heard. Felco has a better fit in the hand for some. Just another option. I may order one as a backup to my Felco.

I cheaped out picked up another Fiskars loppers at Wally for $22. They'll get me by for this year while I consider those other options. I was looking at the m18 Fuel hatchet at the store, but already bought the Fuel chainsaw and haven't even tried it yet. I do love the Felco 8 hand shears I have, but they don't work as well as loppers on limbs in the .5"-1" size range. Thanks everyone.

Okatsune 103 and A. M. Leonard Traditional Bypass Pruners are my picks.

Got my felco model 8. Was hoping it felt smoother than it was. MAybe I am just fussy because of the price..... Not sure if they could use some fine sharpening. Mostly felt like this with the water whips on older trees, any finer work on young trees or nipping back the fresh tips on mature trees felt fine. Index finger sized stuff felt like some work. MY hands felt like they did some work after cleaning up those mature trees.

I think whatever you use, keep a companion lopping shear handy. I have a set of ncer corona shears I only use for pruning of desireable trees. I abuse the heck out of lopping shears otherwise, chopping roots, branches too big / to lazy to go back and get the saw, off angle cuts, clearing trails at camp.......

Maybe I am a dum dum.... I am left handed, but do several things right handed, swing golf clubs, archery, target shoot maybe 60/40 left/right handed. I noticed felco has left handed shears. What's the right handed way of using shears?