Farmall cup or john deere

hunts_with_stick

5 year old buck +
OK, should I buy a farmall cub for 1200 or a new john deer x330 48" deck for $4k? I have no idea how easy the farmalls are to maintain, the JD comes with a 4 year 300 hour bumper to bumper warranty. The farmall comes with a 60" woods mower. I am looking to mow about a 2 - 3 acre field. I also dont know how easy farmalls are to drive.

TY

The Farmall Cub is tough and very easy maintainence. It’s not 4 wheel drive and changing implements can be rather difficult unless it has the fast hitch option. I have two. A 1948 and a 1953 They both run strong. Just make sure it has good compression and doesn’t smoke too much🤔. Check out farmallcub.com. Lots of info.

Do you have brush hog or finish mower now?If you get a regular mower get zero turn,Make sure tractor doesn't have tricycle front end

Farmall Cubs are great little tractors. I've owned and used many over the years. I love them. For what you are planning to do with it I think the Cub would be perfect. Easy to work on. Parts widely available. Fun to drive. And for simply mowing a few acres it will be a great tool.

Though I love Cubs, I did sell all of mine and would not buy one again for actual practical use. Here's why just FYI....

1) The PTO shaft is a smaller diameter than all other tractors out there...and runs in reverse to all other tractors. So it's not very convenient. You just can't go and buy any generic brush hog or flail mower or any other PTO driven implement. You have to buy very specific equipment that was made for the Cub.

2) No 3 point hitch. Some Farmall Cubs do have a Fast Hitch which is very convenient for switching quickly between plows and harrows without even getting off the tractor. But without a standard 3 point hitch, you are limited again to only those implements made for the Cub.

3) Because of #1 and 2#, Cub owners must find very specific implements made specifically for Cubs...and these are becoming hard to find and rare. Cubs and their implements are highly sought after, and thus expensive.

4) Underpowered....depending on the year...between at 10 to 15 hp.

But again, for what you are doing you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Thanks! I think I a, going with the jd. Less worrisome. I am handy, but have little experience with engines. I did just fix my jd at the house, but that’s it

What does the field look like now? The x300 series is an air cooled lawn mower meant to do smaller yards. I have a liquid cooled X540 that has held up well to above average abuse. Not sure that I would want a smaller mower though. A heavier, liquid cooled used mower maybe a better fit if it’s going to get worked hard.

No, it is a pretty level area, maybe cut it every 1.5 to 2 weeks