Picked up a new John Deere...

I’ve got a 54 ford NAA. I bought it from the original owner who had went through it and fixed what needed, had it blasted and repainted. He put new rubber on it. It had some blow by when I got it from him but ran good otherwise. Last year during covid I took it apart in the garage and rebuilt the engine, new bearings, rings, and had the head gone through. She purrs like a kitten now. Does everything I need it to do for a few acres of plots and trail mowing.

I love the old iron. Easy to wrench on, easy to get parts. Sometimes I think I’d rather be working on an old tractor than about anything else.

I hear you dogshooter. Love wrenching on old tractors. Nice looking Ford.

Nice JD40. I enjoy keeping the old iron serviceable. I recently added a 65 acres to our farm, so added a JD3020 for planting and haying. I also have a Ford 8N that I use for food plot use at our cabin (although I believe I will soon sell it) and a JD3025E for around the farm use that is my "go to" tractor.

View attachment 42387
View attachment 42387

Great pic 356! Love the old John Deere tractors.

Reactions: 356
t been around tractors and machinery since I was a kid (in the 50's). My dad was a Ford tractor dealer. I dont mind seeing some of that old iron.....but I am not into owning any of that old power. Maybe I was spoiled with those Fords and the three point hitch and live PTO....but to me that is imperative.

Same goes for a loader with live hydraulics......and if you have a loader then your need Power Steering and the ability to run a grapple and other hydraulic functions are imperative these days. A hydostactic tranny is good for the soul......and for positoning with a loader or stump grinder (for example). Then.....once you own a cab with HVAC you won't want to go back to an open station tractor. Have I mentioned cruise control and shift on the go features? :emoji_wink:

I dont buy owning that old iron. Yeo.....you can do a few things with some of those old tractors. But operating some of those mentioned above always leaves me wanting more new features. To me a diesel utility tractor with the functions listed is so much better......and they hold value over time. Buy once / cry once. ;).
Curious how you feel about DEF and DPFs.

Curious how you feel about DEF and DPFs.
Yep.....good point. I have a tier 4 (I think?) and it's not been a huge issue. But I sure wish I had bought a tractor prior to some of those regulations. One nice benefit tho....is that there is little to no diesel odors or soot from the engine. Mine just has to regen every 50 hours or so. I'm really not sure about the longevity of the system. New stuff to me.