Fall rip & relocate spruce

Chummer,

I never even heard of red spruce before. I've only planted white spruce purchased from the spring DEC sale.

Saw this online how to ID what kind of spruce you got.

Anxious to see if my fir trees I ripped up and planted alongside stillwater rd to blind out a small plot survived. We had that febuary -35 deg cold snap. There was mayb 6 inches of snow up there at the time.

Was going to ask you what apple tree varieties you prefer. I panted some whitetail crabs 30-06 and droptine on anty rootstock. I grafted a bunch of kerr, some signal fire, redfield, and all winter hangover. They're in my nursery for this year, maybe next. Got some coffee stirrer thick dolgo and transcendent crabapple seedling from willis orchards in my nursery too. will graft about 1/2 of them, the other will leave ungrafted.

Wanted to try some noza-ezgrow up there. Was debating grafting some franklin cider and putting it up there. They say zone 4, but franklin VT is like 30 miles from the Canada border. Could see it working up by old forge ways.
My buddy is a tree a nut and said they are red spruce. I really don’t know past that. kerr,wolf river, frostbite, and Dolgo I can guarantee to -47. That is the lowest temp I have seen at my place and they survived. That was the polar vortex winter and killed most of my zone 4 trees. I have 2 Franklin and they are growing great but they get FB every year and lose a couple branches. I haven’t planted many zone 4 trees since -47. I have Redfield and golden hornet thriving now but I don’t think we have hit -30 since they were planted

I moved some real common fir trees on the stillwater property. Stuff is everywhere, always wondered what kind of fir it is. With my arm being messed up, ikely wont get back to camp until july.

Those dolgo, frostibte, kerr, and wolf river; what kind of rootstocks are you using. Got a feeling B118 should work up there. Ordered from whitetail crabs last fall, got too many 30-06 on B118 at home. because thy were low of stock. Terry grafted some 30-06 and droptine on antonovka for me to try up up there. IF they didn't survive the -35 deg spell, it could be chaulked up to transplant shock. I put them in mid December.

I moved some real common fir trees on the stillwater property. Stuff is everywhere, always wondered what kind of fir it is. With my arm being messed up, ikely wont get back to camp until july.

Those dolgo, frostibte, kerr, and wolf river; what kind of rootstocks are you using. Got a feeling B118 should work up there. Ordered from whitetail crabs last fall, got too many 30-06 on B118 at home. because thy were low of stock. Terry grafted some 30-06 and droptine on antonovka for me to try up up there. IF they didn't survive the -35 deg spell, it could be chaulked up to transplant shock. I put them in mid December.
they are p.18 and b118. I don’t like the b118. After a few years p.18 is kicking its ass.

Read up on P18, used to be well liked before orchards became more mechanized with smaller stock.

Red cedar is villianized by us apple junkies, but its a very worthwhile plant in my opinion. I argue with my state depiction of it being starvation food. It's tall enough and dense enough for good deer windbreaks and road hunter roadblocks, but small enough whre it doesn't drown out light on plot edges. Checked my 20 or two red cedar blocking my house from the road, no orange cedar rust octopusses on it this year.

they are p.18 and b118. I don’t like the b118. After a few years p.18 is kicking its ass.
I've got a couple on P18. Not putting on much wood. They look about the same as B118.