Fabric mat anchors

yoteantidote

Yearling... With promise
I’m getting 100 trees delivered tomorrow and I have 100 3 x 3 pieces of construction felt cut for weed protection, but I’m wondering what you guys recommend to hold the fabric down? Rocks are not available in the area so I will need about 400 of something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bent galvanized bracing wire into U’s and stabbed them into the ground when I was putting cloth under rock for my landscaping.

I’m getting 100 trees delivered tomorrow and I have 100 3 x 3 pieces of construction felt cut for weed protection, but I’m wondering what you guys recommend to hold the fabric down? Rocks are not available in the area so I will need about 400 of something.

I'd recommend a fabric designed for this purpose. Here is one: http://www.bigrocktrees.com/X-cell-Fabric-3-feet-wide-x-300-feet-long-_p_74.html

I like to use quarry stone over the landscaping material as mulch. It holds the barrier in place and is permanent. It does not break down like organic mulch and it does not provide a nesting place for undesirable critters.

Thanks,

Jack

I think MickT has the right Idea. Those fabric "staples" are fairly cheap, light weight, and readily available Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply, and places like that. Light and cheap are good qualities when you're putting in 100 trees! You might want to pick up some Advil while you're at it.

11g staples like above. I've bought from AM Leonard when they offer free shipping. I've also had the circle top single ones but decided the U shaped staples are better.

Thanks guys, I will be ordering some of those staples for sure!!!!

Jack the industrial felt I have is for road construction and I have used it before and it’s good stuff and the price is right

Jack the industrial felt I have is for road construction and I have used it before and it’s good stuff and the price is right

If you have experience with it, you know better than I. My concern with materials in general that are not designed for this purpose is the lack of water and o2 permeability. Some kinds of trees are more sensitive than others and I'm sure some soils and climates have less issues than others.

I used to staple mine when I used organic mulch. As it begins to break down, high winds occasionally lifted the landscaping material if I didn't. After I started using quarry stone as mulch, they were just time consuming and unnecessary for me.

I will say that the quarry stone idea is not for everyone. Some folks have reported heating issues when using stone. This has not been an issue in my climate.

Thanks,

Jack

I buy ground staples by the thousand from ben meadows

bill

If you have experience with it, you know better than I. My concern with materials in general that are not designed for this purpose is the lack of water and o2 permeability. Some kinds of trees are more sensitive than others and I'm sure some soils and climates have less issues than others.

I used to staple mine when I used organic mulch. As it begins to break down, high winds occasionally lifted the landscaping material if I didn't. After I started using quarry stone as mulch, they were just time consuming and unnecessary for me.

I will say that the quarry stone idea is not for everyone. Some folks have reported heating issues when using stone. This has not been an issue in my climate.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack,

I’m curious as to your personal experience with using the wrong material for a fabric mat. I’m not at all questioning the validity of your statement, just this is the first I have heard of this. I know people who have used anything from black plastic sheeting to used carpet squares all with good results. Is it one of those things that something is better than nothing but certain things are recommended ?

I used the staples from plantra. They seemed to be great quality and they came with my mats. You can buy them in bulk from them though.

Jack,

I’m curious as to your personal experience with using the wrong material for a fabric mat. I’m not at all questioning the validity of your statement, just this is the first I have heard of this. I know people who have used anything from black plastic sheeting to used carpet squares all with good results. Is it one of those things that something is better than nothing but certain things are recommended ?

Each kind of fabric has its own characteristics. Some will not let O2 penetrate like black plastic. With some plants, this is not an issue, with others it is. I know persimmons have a fruiting issue under some conditions related to O2. Weed barriers can be beneficial extended some distance from the tree. As I recall, one study was advocating 5' for maximum growth. Depending on the size of the root ball barriers that don't permit water to permeate can be problematic under some conditions. In my much earlier days, I used some stuff I found lying around with poor results. Can't even recall what it was now. And, back then, I was making so many mistakes, I can't really say how much it contributed.
If you have experience with what you are using in your location, I don't see a problem. If someone is starting out asking what to use, I'd recommend using the kind of material I provided the link for or some equivalent that was designed for this purpose.

Thanks,

Jack

Appreciate the response and I never heard of the O2 issue. My main issues is deer eating my spruce planting’s, even my black spruce gets chewed on when the beans and corn are gone.
I ordered the staples from amazon a little while ago...thanks again!!!

Get the 8" long vs 6" long, deeper soil penetration and holding.

Last edited:
Jack,

I've heard drywall squares are great as they turn to dust in a few seasons. When wet they conform to the ground and won't blow away.
I've used shingles. 4 shingles per tree to make a box around the tree. The tar lines stick to each other and won't blow easily as long as first couple weeks are warm without crazy wind. Not cheep unless you find free bundles or damaged ones which I used. One bundle will do 5 trees

I am so glad you, as opposed to I, will be digging 100 holes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am so glad you, as opposed to I, will be digging 100 holes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7005d8cc1dead41a9a6205257a773278.jpg

Don’t feel to bad for me

Not even any dirt much less worn paint. I'd assume that was a pic@delivery before you ever even touched it, but I see the cup holder is used