Getting ready

Nice work G squared. Those whips from TC look really good. Watch the difference between now and the end of summer !!

Nice thread. I followed your lead (and Someday Isle's) and prepped by cutting cages and digging holes early. Really paid off by enabling me to plant and protect all 10 of my trees that came after lunch today from Turkey Creek. Finished in the rain and had major stapler jams that set me back. Had to kick it into beast mode to finish before dark, with several days of rain chances starting tonight. In the future I'll always carry a backup stapler. Thank goodness for a set of picks back at my truck toolbox. Also have to give a nod to TC for his healthy trees and thoughtful packaging. My orchards here are 25' between trees and 30' between rows. Still need to rock them.

20180328_124701_resized.jpg20180328_131148_resized.jpg20180328_164954_resized.jpg

Finished out the year by putting in two late dropping crabs from St Lawrence Nursery. Like a lot of places, they had a delayed spring and the trees just shipped this past week as the ground was frozen until recently.

d6129194891ef7b98af19d8fbe11cc6d.jpg

703bf08eb9284bf31c1f4c7dadf7b9e0.jpg

They were nice little trees. One of the roots left a bit to be desired, but the other was very fibrous and looked great.
56ce09e202eb0b5a17dc2851f02a0032.jpg

baed99c69b30df6854d22508620ce534.jpg

One was an All Winter Hangover and the other a Violi's Hanging.

I also had planted some silky dogwoods a month or so ago and they were starting to leaf out. I never had a chance to cage them, and thankfully they had not been browsed. Instead of making individual cages, I just used the entire 50' roll to enclose 8 of them. And I'd have to say, that was waaaay easier than cutting individual cages, so this might be one time that a shortcut pays off. We'll see how they do.
c2ec20aef2e622e4e31a7f5948e436c0.jpg

That's it this year for planting trees. Now it's on to getting the sunflower field going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G-Squared ....... Don't let the roots worry you on your SLN trees. The Antonovka rootstock they graft to isn't usually fibrous. They look more like a carrot - kind of plain and clunky. All of our trees from SLN have done REALLY well. It takes a couple years for them to establish their Antonovka root systems, but when they do - they take off. We haven't lost one.

G-Squared ....... Don't let the roots worry you on your SLN trees. The Antonovka rootstock they graft to isn't usually fibrous. They look more like a carrot - kind of plain and clunky. All of our trees from SLN have done REALLY well. It takes a couple years for them to establish their Antonovka root systems, but when they do - they take off. We haven't lost one.

Hey thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I have heard good things and these were the first from them I've tried. They're also a bit pricey, but I don't mind paying a bit more if the end product is something that my kids and my kids' kids can enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^ I ordered only 4 trees for camp this year - ALL from SLN. Their trees will all be full-sized 25 to 35 ft. tall trees when mature. We like that for more "beefy" wood - less damage from bears that may want to try climbing them. 40 to 60+ year lifespan. When I started buying 5 years ago, price was $23/tree. Not a bad bargain for that many years lifespan !!