Explain this one to me.... I am stumped

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
Ok last weekend this plot had a fair amount of volunteer oats and Winter wheat in it. This week not a single plant. Beans have not been browsed. So much for the cheap companion crop idea! closeup beans and wheat.jpgBeans with no wheat.jpg

Did they burn off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess would be armyworms.

Army worms just got my Japanese Millet. They have been bad here this year

Thanks guys that could be it I guess. I know they are a common occurrence farther west and south, but I guess they could be in this area as well. Kind of creepy how fast it disappeared! There is another small plot 50 yards away that was the same and it still has some wheat and oats in it. However, my quick research this morning does look like they can be very patchy in small areas. You would think the birds would be hammering the worms if that is the case.

Thanks guys that could be it I guess. I know they are a common occurrence farther west and south, but I guess they could be in this area as well. Kind of creepy how fast it disappeared! There is another small plot 50 yards away that was the same and it still has some wheat and oats in it. However, my quick research this morning does look like they can be very patchy in small areas. You would think the birds would be hammering the worms if that is the case.
I see army worms every year and I dont ever see the birds really after them. Quite a bit farther south than you, but we dont plant any kind of cool season grass until oct 1. Millet for ducks is the worst, because it has to be planted in mid summer. It gets hit more often than not.

I am glad it was only volunteer wheat and oats. I will research the topic a bit more. I have oat and rye seed left. I will over seed some later this Fall.

Wouldn't army worms eat the beans also? No clue here, I've never seen one thank God!

Grasshoppers took out an alfalfa/oats plot for me a couple weeks ago. They left nothing but dirt behind.

Have you seen army worms in Kansas before?
I've seen them from time to time. But I'm quite a bit south of Turkey.

Wouldn't army worms eat the beans also? No clue here, I've never seen one thank God!
I have done a bit of research when I have had time today. Interesting insect (Satan's spawn) they are found in this part of the KS, actually can be found all the way into Minnesota, but typically east of the Rockies. They can not handle sub freezing weather, so the population migrates every year. The adults are moths. Only a short number of days as a worm. In their most damaging stage just prior to pupating into moths they can consume 42 lineal inches of wheat/ grass blade per day!!! They prefer the grass species, (corn, wheat, millet, etcc) will even destroy turf grass. They can and do sometimes eat things like soybeans, but it is not preferred. Depending on your location Fall plant dates for things like oats and Winter wheat are generally targeted so that emergence of the crop comes after the threat of Army Worm damage has mostly passed. Recommended to plant after Oct 1st here. They can be effectively killed with insecticide, but obviously that is an added expense and continual crop scouting is required if you are planting in a time period where damage is still highly possible.

I have done a bit of research when I have had time today. Interesting insect (Satan's spawn) they are found in this part of the KS, actually can be found all the way into Minnesota, but typically east of the Rockies. They can not handle sub freezing weather, so the population migrates every year. The adults are moths. Only a short number of days as a worm. In their most damaging stage just prior to pupating into moths they can consume 42 lineal inches of wheat/ grass blade per day!!! They prefer the grass species, (corn, wheat, millet, etcc) will even destroy turf grass. They can and do sometimes eat things like soybeans, but it is not preferred. Depending on your location Fall plant dates for things like oats and Winter wheat are generally targeted so that emergence of the crop comes after the threat of Army Worm damage has mostly passed. Recommended to plant after Oct 1st here. They can be effectively killed with insecticide, but obviously that is an added expense and continual crop scouting is required if you are planting in a time period where damage is still highly possible.
All that supports everything I have seen, pretty much. I have not seen them here after oct 1st

When I got army worms a couple years ago they ate the beans,they were on bottom of leave.A dose of bifan took care of them

Huh.. I’ve seen what we call army worms bad into central mn defoliating trees but I’m not sure if it’s the same thing?