All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elderberry fertilizing tips

silver pigeon

Yearling... With promise
I've got some native elderberries growing on my property. I've done some research online about how to fertilize and care for them. Just wondering how you fertilize yours. What fertilizers do you recommend? Do you have any other tips or techniques for elderberries. These elderberries are strictly for wildlife. I don't plan on harvesting any for myself. Thanks

Someone on this forum was kind enough to send me some elderberry cuttings a number of years ago. I planted a few around the house and took others to the farm. Those at the farm did not fair well without protection. Those I planted at home took off great. I've never fertilized them at all and they produce lots of elderberries each year. I can't imagine fertilizing them. I have to cut them back each year.

Someone on this forum was kind enough to send me some elderberry cuttings a number of years ago. I planted a few around the house and took others to the farm. Those at the farm did not fair well without protection. Those I planted at home took off great. I've never fertilized them at all and they produce lots of elderberries each year. I can't imagine fertilizing them. I have to cut them back each year.

how much do you cut them back each year - like a pruning - or down to the ground?

I never fertilized mine either and they grow like weeds. Not that it would hurt I guess.

once established you can cut them to the ground and they will root sucker like crazy.

how much do you cut them back each year - like a pruning - or down to the ground?

I would not do this to elderberries growing the wild, and I don't do it to improve them. They just grow so fast, they hit the house and hit me in the face when I cut the lawn. Once established, they are pretty hard to kill by pruning. I generally just trim them up, but at least one year, I pruned them back heavy and they bounced right back.

Thanks,

Jack