Eastern NC 35

Excellent! Looks like you are putting in a lot of sweat equity. Great that you include the kids. My girls have been joining me since they were born as well.

We have those blackjacks. They a smaller oak and are in the red oak family I believe so seems like the deer hit them after they mop up the white oak species. I also have a 30 acre place with lots of gum so I won't cut any oak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You ever think that work could be this much fun? Awesome that you're able to include your kids. I did my boys and now starting to add grandkids too.

I've marked any and all oaks since the majority of my trees are sweet gums and pines. Most of the oaks are in bunches of 3 to 5 that arespouted from one stump. How would you guys thin them? Only leave one? My tree I'd is kinda weak, so I don't want to cut too much and get rid of any beneficial trees by mistake.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Merle, I'm a nerd that loves to learn and I've spent many sleepless nights reading the "other" forum and paul Knox outreach site. I got ahead of my self on this farm as the land just kinda popped up, and we jumped on it. Now I'm trying to get the research done and balance that with enjoying the property. I love hunting and fishing but this land managing thing is an addiction.

love that pic! it does not get any better then that!

25f7f2f1cb882297c6d0e0bffc8f2299.jpg
blackberry thickets line the road down the center of the property
3d1acace9591d94ade0bf43f452f793b.jpg
This patch of clover was only a 1/4 acre, but was the first plot I ever put in the ground last fall.
deac918a295dfb6150456612e74a9646.jpg
back third has lots of wild blueberry bushes
4fa679804a17c2a689f3f37631535c72.jpg

Most of the oaks are in bunches of 3 to 5 that arespouted from one stump. How would you guys thin them? Only leave one?
A general rule I received from a forester years ago was if the stems form a "U" at the ground consider keeping both. If the stems for a "V" at the ground consider removing the stem that has poorer form, less robust growth, indication of disease, or depending on proximity to other crop trees.

Thanks for the tip, they are a mix of u shape v shape and individual sprouts. Again, these sprouts range from 5ft to 15ft tall. The one on the edges of the plot I already thinned down to one main tree this spring

NCNAT, i grew up in cabarrus county, Mount pleasant area. Spent alot of time at High Rock and Badin lake. How is the acorn production from the blackjack oaks?
Sorry it took so long to post, missed this somehow.

They seem to produce like any other oak the same size from what I've seen. I grew up not far from you in Mint Hill. The Mint Hill that was full of rednecks, not the civilized place it now.

Corbin you have done a lot of good work on that property. Glad you shared it and to see another NC location. My farm is in Anson county. I will be sharing some photos soon.
I grew up hunting in Anson County along the Pee Dee River. I was a member of a the same club for about 40 years, until 3 years ago.

I played a lot of baseball in mint hill growing up. Anson used to be the only place with a good deer population. Now they are everywhere.

2bb8408b0dc753dfcda292cb8f467019.jpg
sprayed 2 weeks ago, mowed last week, and spot sprayed the spots we missed today. All done with lawn mower and back pack sprayer. Wife's is getting me an electric 30 gallon sprayer for early birthday.
151ab4f2fe976f9f601d8f7e95d7cd8f.jpg
planting this road in Durant clover and winter rye mix
2cc7c303c2b449ca2dc42273ff9ae8bb.jpg
mowed these today and sprayed after. Too many stumps to get a clean mow, but the weedeater will touch up the rest

Last one is one of two shooting lanes behind me

2c5c3de3eb80baad0340d036b4289af7.jpg
921c8819b63df94372f07b39ec6e7e93.jpg
that to my left and then to my right at my bow stand. Creek is right behind me and the road planted in wheat and clover runs from behind to in front.

Looks like a good bow stand. Looking forward to some hero photos.

Good luck.

If it ever gets out the 100 degrees I will go, never bow hunted this property before. Have a good path running left to right. Hopefully clover wheat bring em in close enough.

Got a few minutes saturday to get out to the farm, check some trail cams, fertilize some plots.
First pic is of a clover plot closest to the road, that started as durana and maybe 1/5 of an acre last fall, widened to 1/2 acre now. This is a section of last years clover. 2nd and 3rd pic show middle plot with a brassicas mix with a little rye mixed in for safety, (first time planting brassicas). The road in between the plots is planted in a rye and clover mix. Very pleased with the overall germination.

Attachments

• dads clover late sept.jpg
    dads clover late sept.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 14
  • brassicas plot from stand.jpg
    brassicas plot from stand.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 14
  • brassicas plot.jpg
    brassicas plot.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 13
  • rye and clover road.jpg
    rye and clover road.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 12
  • rye and crimson clover.jpg
    rye and crimson clover.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 13
Here is a buck that I have pics of from all 3 trail cams I have set out this summer. Posted a couple different angles of him. He is the only buck currently showing up during daylight hours. There are 2 bigger bucks that I know are shooters, but mostly nocturnal right now. I know the one side of his rack is messed up, cant tell if its genetic or damaged during growth. He is also has very small eye guards. I currently plan to pass him, in hopes he walks out in front of my nephew. This deer is in southeastern NC. When i cover the antlers, he looks older to me. Any educated guesses on age???

Attachments

• IMG_4706.JPG
    IMG_4706.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4957.JPG
    IMG_4957.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4967.JPG
    IMG_4967.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4968.JPG
    IMG_4968.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4982.JPG
    IMG_4982.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5026.JPG
    IMG_5026.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5034.JPG
    IMG_5034.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
Opening morning of blackpowder season in eastern NC, 73 and foggy
ab161bfe690449af12eed3c165ed81ae.jpg
rye and clover filled in nicely
4bfc74eb17dbf929a23f0d11e77c3162.jpg
brassicas germinated great but some got wet feet and are now a little apotty
Winds out of Southeast which is rare. Had a doe feed down a shooting lane and then disappear into cover