All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eagle forage beans

Nova

5 year old buck +
Took these pics the other day of my Eagle beans at home. For a forage soybean they sure have put on pods this year, more so than in the past. I would say these beans are above the 4' tall range. Funny thing to me is that on the 4th of September they are still flowering and trying to put on more pods. i hope they continue to stay green and growing for the archery season starting next weekend.pods9-4.jpgflowering 9-4-2018.jpg20180905_182556.jpg

I have had food pod production by eagleseed beans. I have had more years with pods and undeveloped bean seeds. But an ag bean doesnt have a chance at my place.

over the winter I will be putting together parts/ supplies for a ghalagher style e fence so for once I may get to get some beans above the 4 inch tall mark, I am also going to start pestering the wild turkey federation to see if they can secure some bean seed for 2019 planting season, need the PA chapter to secure as the NJ chapters can't quite seem to muster support for our own supplies. those beans look great.

If you used the Eagle RR Northern managers mix it has four different types of soy beans in it. One of the bean types produces pods while all the others are forage type beans that produce leaves for the deer to eat. The more the deer eat, the more they produce.
Your Eagles did better than mine this season. I had two dry spells of three and two weeks each. During the three week period, I only got .4 inch of rain. It was worse during the two week period with ZERO rain. That really put a crimp on the growth of the Eagle beans on my land this year. I just over seeded all Eagle fields with a lot of winter rye. There was plenty of room between the bean plants as my beans never made it to canopy.

Way back when I planted them mine made pods. Smaller then Ag beans but they were there.
I'd still use them if I didn't want rye in my beans.

I didn't get my ag beans in until the second week of June and had a lot of dry weather as well beans never canopied.. didn't think I was going to have anything but they held on there's a picture of one of my better plants it's about 9 inches counting pods.. I lost track at 15 lol

Attachments

• IMG_20180829_151246629.jpg
    IMG_20180829_151246629.jpg
    574.8 KB · Views: 31
How many time do you guys who plant RR Eagles actually spray them each season, or do they canopy so fast you don't have to spray?

How many time do you guys who plant RR Eagles actually spray them each season, or do they canopy so fast you don't have to spray?
I've only planted them the last 3 years.
The first year I only spayed once when about 3 weeks after planting and they were a little weedy.
Last year I sprayed 3 times, but had very timely rains. By the 4th of july the field didn't have a weed and was chest high!
This year i sprayed the same, but got them planted a few weeks later and not nearly as much rain. They never canopied, unless they have this week, and I've noticed the dreaded roundup resistant pigeeed growing in spots.
I'm thinking of planting wheat in the beans this fall and not planting beans in that field next year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

When I did plant them I only needed to spray once. They canopied pretty fast.
Not sure how they would work around my place today with so many Gly resistant weeds.

This year my Eagle beans were canopied by July 1st. I sprayed one time at about 4 weeks after planting. Last year was very similar, canopied by July 9th. They canopy so fast one spraying is all I needed.eagles 7-1-2018.jpg

Question on these Eagles, if the deer don't eat all those green leaves before the first frost they just die and go to waste and you are left with minimal pod development?

I planted May 15 sprayed 3 weeks later then again around the 4th of July. I have had very good success with eagles versus ag beans. Now all ag beans around me are turning and the some of the eagle varieties stay green and become good draw for early season. Always have enough beans for gun season also. Most of the local farms around me spray beans twice and corn once. The growth this year is exceptional most are in 5' range now.RCNX0237.JPG

Question on these Eagles, if the deer don't eat all those green leaves before the first frost they just die and go to waste and you are left with minimal pod development?
Yes on the leaves, but it's good OM. The minimal pod development not so much this year or last. Lots of pods on mine which they come back for once they dry down...in like November since the plant stays alive until early to mid October.

Yes on the leaves, but it's good OM. The minimal pod development not so much this year or last. Lots of pods on mine which they come back for once they dry down...in like November since the plant stays alive until early to mid October.
Thanks. This was my first year planting beans so it's been an ongoing learning experience. My ag beans look much like Yarg's in post #6. Short yet full of pods approaching maturity. We usually start getting lows under 30 around Oct. 1st. If frost hits when the pods are still green on these forage beans or late planted ag beans, what happens?

Thanks. This was my first year planting beans so it's been an ongoing learning experience. My ag beans look much like Yarg's in post #6. Short yet full of pods approaching maturity. We usually start getting lows under 30 around Oct. 1st. If frost hits when the pods are still green on these forage beans or late planted ag beans, what happens?

Last year my forage beans pods turned brown and dried down. I assume they will do the same this year. The deer did eat them once they dried down.
Ag beans won't make it to the first frost before drying down, even late planted ones. I have ag beans planted in mid July that use photo period to stop growing and start putting on pods. I would seriously doubt even planted that late that they will make it thru mid September before starting to dry down.

Last year my forage beans pods turned brown and dried down. I assume they will do the same this year. The deer did eat them once they dried down.
Ag beans won't make it to the first frost before drying down, even late planted ones. I have ag beans planted in mid July that use photo period to stop growing and start putting on pods. I would seriously doubt even planted that late that they will make it thru mid September before starting to dry down.
To keep ag beans from drying down too quickly like stated above, all one has to do is plant a maturity group 2 levels below what is recommended for their location. Meaning, if you normally would plant a Group 2 bean in your area, plant some Maturity Group 4 beans instead and they will stay green later into the fall.

To keep ag beans from drying down too quickly like stated above, all one has to do is plant a maturity group 2 levels below what is recommended for their location. Meaning, if you normally would plant a Group 2 bean in your area, plant some Maturity Group 4 beans instead and they will stay green later into the fall.
But is green later really better? Frost is going to take them out either way late september / early october which is too late to overseed with anything up here. I know this is my first year with beans but overseeding ag beans with brassicas around Aug. 1st and rye around Labor Day seemed to set up a real nice buffet for the start of bow through the end of gun. Overseeding green forage beans around those time likely would fail, correct?

But is green later really better? Frost is going to take them out either way late september / early october which is too late to overseed with anything up here. I know this is my first year with beans but overseeding ag beans with brassicas around Aug. 1st and rye around Labor Day seemed to set up a real nice buffet for the start of bow through the end of gun. Overseeding green forage beans around those time likely would fail, correct?
Agreed, I don't want my ag beans to stay green past early to mid September at the latest. That's what I plant forage beans for. I want ag beans to dry down so the beans are a drawn in October. Then corn can take over after that.

I depends on what you are after I guess? My reply was simply hypothetical. "IF" you want green soy plants later in the fall, for whatever reason you may have, that is one way to achieve that goal with an ag type bean.

My understanding is that the stems have protein. Also remember that the steam & leaves are made up of lignin & cellulose. The cellulose contains starch which is an energy source as animals con convert the cellulose into starch. The deer continued to eat may beans, steams, & leaves through the winter right down to the ground.

I think you will be fine even after the hard frosts with the WR as a green browse.