All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eagle Forage Beans

You guys gave me an idea. I am going to buy some longer hoses for my sprayer and connect the end the on the row planter. Then I will fill tank and use the dye marker to mark the just planted row. Going to test the dye marker on the soil this weekend to see if it will leave a visible enough mark on bare soil. Blue is pretty bright so I am thinking I will be okay but will verify first.

The foamer was pretty cheap to make and works well. It is definitely visible for the next pass. If you are hooking up a sprayer to your planted, you may want to consider another idea. Years ago, I saw an interesting setup. The planted a field with a low growing perennial white clover. Once it was well established (probably year 2), they ran a corn planter through it. They had a sprayer on the corn planter rigged to spray only the rows with gly. I think they set the rate at 1 qt/ac. It top killed the clover just in the planting strips. The corn came up through the dead clover and then the clover bounced back from the roots. What they ended up with was a field of corn with clover under it. The clover provided some N to the corn and kept other weeds from encroaching. They were able to use non-RR corn.

I presume this setup would work for milo or sunflowers as well. I've considered trying it with my kasco no-till drill but have never gotten around to it. In the fall, I've sprayed an entire field of older clover with 1 qt/ac of gly and then drill radish and WR. That worked out well, but it would be nice if only the clover in the row was suppressed. It would take some effort to get this setup, but it would be cool.

Just some more ideas if you've got time to experiment with equipment.

Thanks,

Jack

That's essentially what I am looking to do. I can't take credit for it as I saw this picture and thought with my sprayer in the back of the UTV and the single row planter behind I just need to secure the nozzle to spray where I plant. Hoping to keep the nozzle low to the ground and make a 4-6" mark with the dye.

Attachments

• 101228602_3059890827431876_4847875246516076544_n.jpg
    101228602_3059890827431876_4847875246516076544_n.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 23
Forgot to mention he is using that set up to spray his pre-emergent while he is planting and not have to go over it later.

Still growing but growthT_00001 (1).JPG has slowed down substantially with the lack of rain recently. No dye for me. It for sure will work for what I want it to do but it is an absolute mess. I was very careful to try and not spill it at all but the slightest spec of it gets everywhere and spreads quickly. May just broadcast my beans next year and be done with it.

Update on my mix of Eagle Soybeans and GPO Ag beans. They were growing slowly but timely rains have them taking off. They are in great shape heading into July with a nice rain today and a fairly good leaf canopy.

Attachments

• T_00003.JPG
    T_00003.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 32
Looking good!

Broken, i'd love to have beans like that at the farm. Our farmer finally got em in the ground, but hasn't sprayed them yet... It's getting pretty hairy...

Broken, i'd love to have beans like that at the farm. Our farmer finally got em in the ground, but hasn't sprayed them yet... It's getting pretty hairy...
Thanks. This is the best I have ever gotten them for sure. Electric fence made the difference. I also got very lucky getting them in when I did. I was just dry enough to put them in and it rained right after. Luckily they didn't get out of the ground before we had a very late hard frost that would have killed them had they been out. Going to keep it fenced for 2 or 3 more weeks and then open about half of it. KY season starts Sept 5th so I want them in there comfortably feeding on a regular basis.