Durability of legacy hunting camps

Not disagreeing with you, can't see I haven't seen some of these signs, but then why the crazy point creep with western tags? Are we to expect that this is some sort of balloon that will implode when it hits a generational gap? Because over the past 10 years this has gotten insane. Tags I got over the counter 3-4 years ago now require 2-3 years of points to draw.
I am NO expert on point systems, But from some of what I do know, most places that have point systems in place its either done due to setting limits on harvest or for more trophy related area's, for specific animals!

so its has nothing really to do with Youth's getting involved and staying involved in hunting or GENERAL lic sales!

Supply and demand. My point exactly!

If the supply is limited and the demand is great the price increases.

The supply being the limited number of animals that can be harvested or hunting lands (land with decent game populations).

Where are there big game tags more easily available now than there were 10 years ago? Maybe the NJ suburbs that’s it. Everywhere else is experiencing point creep. Iowa is now regularly 5 years to draw a bow tag. Montana - my buddies out there are up in arms about it.

Where are hunting lands less expensive now than they were 10 years ago? I’m not taking farm land (elevated corn and bean prices = elevated land values). I’m taking about swamp lands with big bucks or hill country Ohio with big bucks. Both places that you can’t really build a house, farm or develop. They are just for killing deer. Even adjusted for inflation the numbers are up easily 50% over the last 10 years

Those two factors are facts and they point to the fact that there is increased demand for limited resources.

If we believe that there are so many less hunters - who are these mystery hunters buying up all the hunting land and tags?

Supply and demand. My point exactly!

If the supply is limited and the demand is great the price increases.

The supply being the limited number of animals that can be harvested or hunting lands (land with decent game populations).

Where are there big game tags more easily available now than there were 10 years ago? Maybe the NJ suburbs that’s it. Everywhere else is experiencing point creep. Iowa is now regularly 5 years to draw a bow tag. Montana - my buddies out there are up in arms about it.

Where are hunting lands less expensive now than they were 10 years ago? I’m not taking farm land (elevated corn and bean prices = elevated land values). I’m taking about swamp lands with big bucks or hill country Ohio with big bucks. Both places that you can’t really build a house, farm or develop. They are just for killing deer. Even adjusted for inflation the numbers are up easily 50% over the last 10 years

Those two factors are facts and they point to the fact that there is increased demand for limited resources.

If we believe that there are so many less hunters - who are these mystery hunters buying up all the hunting land and tags?
its NO mystery WHO is buying up these places
its folks with money to do so!
and a LOT of the land is also being bought up by folks that do NOT hunt it, just acquiring it due to its an investment
add in all those that NOW have money that didn;t yrs ago, who DIS like hunting public land and want there OWN lands to control things on it!

its not that there are magically MORE hunters now, its just the opposite, and there is just LESS undeveloped land now than ever
that is also forcing a LOT of hunters to QUIT hunting, or again ONLY hunt the first day as its more tradition than desire to hunt!

hunting LIC sales are declining again in pretty much every state, that's a FACT again and simple MATH
less lic sales, LESS hunters!
and worse of all, its LESS JR lic sales, meaning again LESS youths getting into the sport!
the FACT some SPECIAL units or DRAW area's require points, has ZERO bearing on hunter numbers, as MOST don't even apply for these special units
Human encroachment/expansion taking up places we ONCE had to hunt, is NOT a way to say there are MORE hunters now
yes again, some places public lands gets tons of pressure and gets over crowded,
but that again is NOT every where, and its sadly the way of the future as populations increase
and why I gather many LEAVE this sport!, they don't like crowds or want to HAVE to BUY land or find better places, many just give up and call it quits
which also isn;t helping recruit new hunters!
add in TV shows showing hunting most never get to experience, and I am sure many new hunters don't feel its worth all that, when they don;t have what they see on TV, phone lap top or what ever!

what happens when the die hards pass on?? and are not being replaced!
lic fee's will only get higher!
less lic sales, , mean HIGHER lic's costs and fee's

Rising resident license fees is awful low on the totem pole of concerns. They are quite low as it is in most situations. I'm more concerned with our wildlife departments taking $ from non-sportsman and in turn having to give them more room at the table of wildlife management decisions.

Rising resident license fees is awful low on the totem pole of concerns. They are quite low as it is in most situations. I'm more concerned with our wildlife departments taking $ from non-sportsman and in turn having to give them more room at the table of wildlife management decisions.
well rising lic fee's does effect how many stay in the sport and how many will join the sport!
like it or not, money matters to most people, and if they don't feel something is worth the price and they can live without, many will stop buying! forcing the game depts to find income else where!

The resident hunting license is Vermont is $28.00. Even if you double that it is inconsequential to me. I’m not rich - but I’m a realist. It cost me $28.00 to drive out and back to one hunting spot. $28.00 is literally two #9s at McDonald’s.

Are there really people out there saying they wouldn’t go hunting If the instate license fees doubled? I don’t think so.

In VT the anti-hunters are really pushing for a seat at the table. It’s too bad they don’t pay for anything. In years past the game committee held off their crazy requests - this year they passed super restricted hound hunting regulations - basically outlawing hound hunting.

The hunting camp I used to be a part of was ruined by my uncle's new wife several years ago. He just didn't have the stones to stand up to her, so she steamrolled everything. I pretty much do my own thing now, but I have become an occasional part of a hunting camp in Canada, which I enjoy. My nephew is 6, so there is no rush to set up a camp of my own yet. For the time being, I'm exploring cheap hunting options in different countries. I've been hunting in Norway for a few years at minimal cost. This winter I would like to hunt in Serbia or Croatia. Next year a trip to Sweden is probably in the cards.

The resident hunting license is Vermont is $28.00. Even if you double that it is inconsequential to me. I’m not rich - but I’m a realist. It cost me $28.00 to drive out and back to one hunting spot. $28.00 is literally two #9s at McDonald’s.

Are there really people out there saying they wouldn’t go hunting If the instate license fees doubled? I don’t think so.

In VT the anti-hunters are really pushing for a seat at the table. It’s too bad they don’t pay for anything. In years past the game committee held off their crazy requests - this year they passed super restricted hound hunting regulations - basically outlawing hound hunting.
I fully agree with you the cost for most all resident lic is CHEAP in the big picture
but after also selling hunting lic for yrs, YES 100% there are folks that will STOP buying them if prices go up
and also keep in mind, that when lic costs go up, so do all the other things besides a GENERAL lic, that most also buy
bear tag, turkey tag, doe tag , archery tag, muzzleloader tag and so on!
so, when you ADD all that up and double the price of it, YUP< a lot of folks MAY consider Bailing on the sport
all again so, when if were honest only about 15% of hunters kill there BUCK,
so if there NO getting a BUCK every yr or few yrs, they start to view things as a wasted of time and money!@

MOST hunters here fall into the category of higher success rates due to most here are more die hard hunters and hell, most here manage Land to see to it they get a deer or MANY every yr!

SO< you have to view things from the average hunters eye's and not the more die hards like many here are!
and there is also a large population of folks in serious debt ,(and more adding daily) that have to PICK what they spend there funds on!
add in current inflation and well, ?
I already know many that quit hunting due to they don't feel its worth the price anymore!

Life is short. Enjoy the ride.

I am NO expert on point systems, But from some of what I do know, most places that have point systems in place its either done due to setting limits on harvest or for more trophy related area's, for specific animals!

so its has nothing really to do with Youth's getting involved and staying involved in hunting or GENERAL lic sales!
Point systems and specifically point creep relate to supply and demand. The fact that there is a marked increase in points needed to get tags, across the board in western states, indicates that there is not only not a decrease in hunters but an increase in demand unless you believe there is an across the board decrease in animals, as the point creep is broad and not area limited.

The incessant capitalization is super annoying. Bye.

As you can see from the screen shot … 7,900 students expected to participate in a trap shooting competition in Alexandria, Minnesota.

In 2022 You could not find a hotel room within 100 miles of this event.

That’s 7,900 more kids participating in high school trap shooting than when I was a kid. Since we didn’t have it.76BC18B5-D59E-4086-96C3-67E16E8AD835.png

All I know is 4 years after the monkey pox coordinator outlaws hunting all together i’m going to be archery hunting some monsters…I’m not a criminal unless they make me one..

Our PA deer camp died about 30 years ago. All the private land around the camp that we hunted got leased up. I learned right then a day was coming that if you don’t own land you won’t be hunting. We’re not there yet, but it’s still coming.