Drilling into standing Rye

gunther89

5 year old buck +
So this may have been discussed on here before and if so, I apologize. I am wanting to no till drill soybeans into standing rye. My question is will me drilling into the standing rye kill the rye, or would i need to still spray glyphosate to kill the rye?

I notilled some annual pollinator mix into standing rye 8 days ago and it didn’t hurt the rye at all. The mix seems to be coming up well with the rain over the last few days.
They had the rye grazed down to about 4” though and the white clover I planted with it last summer failed due to 4+ weeks without rain.

It won't kill the rye. Several options, let the rye grow to hide the beans if in a high deer density area. You can roll the rye down or push over with the loader ahead of the drill like I do, if it's far enough along in its life cycle that will kill it. You can spray if you want, but with rye I try not to spray. It will run it's course by end of June in most areas anyway.

So this may have been discussed on here before and if so, I apologize. I am wanting to no till drill soybeans into standing rye. My question is will me drilling into the standing rye kill the rye, or would i need to still spray glyphosate to kill the rye?

It won't kill the WR unless you use a crimper. Baker posted a nice video of a crimper on the FEL and the drill behind. I don't have a crimper. I spray with gly after I drill into WR.

I do like Swat does. Put the front end loader down low and crimp the rye as I’m drilling.

I do like Swat does. Put the front end loader down low and crimp the rye as I’m drilling.

I think it depends on the stage of the rye. I've done that and it does kill some, but a lot just bends and stands back up for me.

I think it depends on the stage of the rye. I've done that and it does kill some, but a lot just bends and stands back up for me.

No different than a crimper, it has to be far enough along regardless .

This may or may not be helpful. I plant into a lot of standing rye.

No different than a crimper, it has to be far enough along regardless .

For me it is different. My WR is at the same stage as Baker's in the video. Perhaps it is my FEL. I do have a tooth bar on it. Maybe the bucket edge is not sharp enough.

Thanks,

Jack