dragging rye plot early spring

bueller

I'm basically limited to an old harrow drag for working ground. I usually spray my rye mid-late May when it 3-4 ft tall, broadcast seeds for a summer crop, and then use the harrow drag to knock down the rye and scrape the ground. This method works well for me but the ground is usually hard and dry by then. Between this and all the rye the ground barely gets scraped. I was thinking of running the drag around in the coming weeks when the ground is no longer frozen but is still soft and moist without the tall rye. My hope is I may be able to loosen the ground a bit for later plantings and still have most of the rye survive and provide a food source for a month and green manure after. Thoughts...

What are you planting into the rye?

Usually buckwheat but this year soybeans for the first time. I figure if I can loosen the ground a bit now and still have the rye to roll down over the seed later it's a win win. Worst case is the rye doesn't survive the early spring dragging (I don't think this will be the case) and I lose the green manure it would have provided.

I would probably let it dry out some first. Dragging wet ground could just clump everything up. Not mention the possiblity of ruts or worse yet, soil compaction.

I would probably let it dry out some first. Dragging wet ground could just clump everything up. Not mention the possiblity of ruts or worse yet, soil compaction.
Definitely something to be concerned with although on my sand the water never really holds it just runs through.

I haven't had much luck with large seeds and drags. Small seeds like brassicas work well with that, but beans and corn are different and generally need to be covered by more dirt. There are lots of birds in my neighborhood, so most of the uncovered large seeds are eaten and those left alone on the surface generally don't get enough moisture to germinate that well. I've had some spectacularly crappy plots early on, but after using a disc my large seed type plots look awesome.

I haven't had much luck with large seeds and drags. Small seeds like brassicas work well with that, but beans and corn are different and generally need to be covered by more dirt. There are lots of birds in my neighborhood, so most of the uncovered large seeds are eaten and those left alone on the surface generally don't get enough moisture to germinate that well. I've had some spectacularly crappy plots early on, but after using a disc my large seed type plots look awesome.
Birds and poor germination and establishment. Exactly why I'd like to "work" the ground a bit more before planting the beans. Even considered hiring a guy to till the top 2-3 inches. There is a guy in the area that charges $50 an hour + a $1 a mile for travel. He claims he only needs an hour to get anything but a multiple acre plot done with his tractor and tiller. For less than I can rent an atv disc or other implement I could have the plot done.