Don't shoot deer you don't have tags for...

And Ohio has had huge problems with the Amish running fenced deer farms not keeping good records breaking the law and spreading disease to our wild herd just so they can make more money.

I work and live about 3 miles as the crow flies from that outfit. To be fair, they've never had CWD spread into a wild deer. And theres a sentiment, right or wrong, that they DNR is being over the top in order to prevent CWD into the wild. I guess i'd rather that than be too lax and have it get into the wild population, but CWD isn't a wild deer issue, today.

But once it’s a wild deer issue, it’s always a wild deer issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^ Just curious, but how do you know it isn't a problem in the herd now? Do they test most of the deer kills in Ohio?

^^^ Just curious, but how do you know it isn't a problem in the herd now? Do they test most of the deer kills in Ohio?

the deer farm in question put a 7 township area into a quarantine for this year and i believe 2 more years. Anything shot in those townships with a gun (didn't do bow season) had to be physically taken to a location where they'd pull a brain sample. When the quarantine went into affect, there had never been a wild Ohio deer w/ confirmed CWD. I'm sure EHD and Blue tongue have happened, but nothing CWD wise.

I haven't heard that any of the wild deer testing positive this fall either.

That's not a completely exaustive search, I understand that but a lot of the guys who own 15 acres and hunt over corn were chapped because they can't compete anymore with the guys who have more land or crop fields to hunt.

But once it’s a wild deer issue, it’s always a wild deer issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
agreed. And that's why I understand the policy. I'd rather they over-reach and not let it get out, than half azz things and not contain it properly.

I also see how the guy who hunts behind his house on 4 acres would be frustrated that he can't draw deer like other parts of the state can.

Dumb question, how much does it cost to test each deer for CWD? Just curious how much the tax payers have to foot, because of these high fenced places that continue to endanger the wild herds each year?

No idea. And to be honest, I'm not sure any wild deer were endangered. 2 of 90 deer tested positive. both were still contained in the operation. The euthanized the entire herd. Not like they got out, and then were testing positive.

How much tax money does it cost to maintain the roads because stupid people text and drive and run crap over?

No idea. And to be honest, I'm not sure any wild deer were endangered. 2 of 90 deer tested positive. both were still contained in the operation. The euthanized the entire herd. Not like they got out, and then were testing positive.

How much tax money does it cost to maintain the roads because stupid people text and drive and run crap over?

I am pretty sure if you run over a sign, your insurance covers it. I am by no means defending texting drivers!

From what I am seeing online, the fee per deer tested is anywhere from $42-$100+. I know the state of Wisconsin has been testing thousands of deer for several years now. I also know MN does as well in the SE now. All so people can pay a private company top dollar to hunt a "trophy deer" that was raised in a fence.

Our license fee took a big jump this year. It's total bull shit anyway. They werent pulling samples out of the brain. They came from the neck which my understanding isn't nearly as accurate. I also didn't see them use a new knife for every deer tested. I guessing cross contamination is a possibility and more likely a reality.

IMO it is nothing other than an excuse to charge more for a license (MNDNR have been whining for years about being under funded) and so the dirty ass insurance industry can keep a higher percent of your crop and vehicle premiums.

Job security.

I am pretty sure if you run over a sign, your insurance covers it. I am by no means defending texting drivers!

From what I am seeing online, the fee per deer tested is anywhere from $42-$100+. I know the state of Wisconsin has been testing thousands of deer for several years now. I also know MN does as well in the SE now. All so people can pay a private company top dollar to hunt a "trophy deer" that was raised in a fence.

I understand what you're saying. I'm also pretty sure that the taxes associated with getting people into those canned hunts (which im personally not into) helps pay for wildlife too. IE guns and ammo tax, etc...

the cost of license and tags is a pittance compared to what most of us spend in our equipment each year. If our license and tags costs tripled, would any of you say "nope, not worth it, i'm out"?

I understand what you're saying. I'm also pretty sure that the taxes associated with getting people into those canned hunts (which im personally not into) helps pay for wildlife too. IE guns and ammo tax, etc...

the cost of license and tags is a pittance compared to what most of us spend in our equipment each year. If our license and tags costs tripled, would any of you say "nope, not worth it, i'm out"?

Absolutely not. I sure as hell wouldn't buy a license anymore though. If that makes me a "poacher" so be it.

Sorry not sorry. I've never been a sheep and never will be.

Absolutely not. I sure as hell wouldn't buy a license anymore though. If that makes me a "poacher" so be it.

Sorry not sorry. I've never been a sheep and never will be.
my point was, and admittedly, i don't know what you pay for license and tags, but in Ohio a resident will spend under $100 in license and 3 tags. I'm probably gonna spill that much chainsaw gas by the end of 2019. $200 isn't gonna keep me out of the woods. Maybe not everyone feels that way.

I think our license fees are on average less than many other states. As you said $200 wont keep me from hunting but ........

I like that in Ohio I can hunt my property without a tag or license. For ethical guys it’s a great perk to owning land. For some like my neighbors it means they have an endless supply of tags for free which just isn’t all that fair.

I like that in Ohio I can hunt my property without a tag or license. For ethical guys it’s a great perk to owning land. For some like my neighbors it means they have an endless supply of tags for free which just isn’t all that fair.

Correct. I have a friend who growing up her dad made her take her hunter's safety course, then he filled all of her tags each year too... That's garbage.

But until we're allowed to shoot people at will for upsetting us, I guess it'll continue

Dumb question, how much does it cost to test each deer for CWD? Just curious how much the tax payers have to foot, because of these high fenced places that continue to endanger the wild herds each year?

It's expensive. They not only have to do the tests, but they have to pay two or three guys do stand around each check station all week. They also had to send out probably hundreds of thousands of mailers to notify hunters of the threat and testing procedure. I got one. So did my Dad. That also requires how many office hours for people to send those things out?

I would like to know how much it cost the state, but I'm guessing it's in the millions.

My understanding is that it was far more than that. He also moved deer in and out of the enclosure and violated court orders. From what I heard and read, the guy belongs in jail.

Correct. I have a friend who growing up her dad made her take her hunter's safety course, then he filled all of her tags each year too... That's garbage.

But until we're allowed to shoot people at will for upsetting us, I guess it'll continue
I don’t really want to shoot anyone over it but it can be frustrating especially when you hear the father tell the kid “looks like Grandma shot another deer”.

I don’t really want to shoot anyone over it but it can be frustrating especially when you hear the father tell the kid “looks like Grandma shot another deer”.

Ethics and regulations are two totally different animals. To me ethics trump regulations all day long. Today for instance I am going trout fishing. It is catch and release only season up until mid April. It is unlikely that i would have a fish die but if I did it sure as hell wouldnt be going back into the water. There is also no way i would spend the time or waste the breath to call and telling a CO about it.

Ethics and regulations are two totally different animals. To me ethics trump regulations all day long. Today for instance I am going trout fishing. It is catch and release only season up until mid April. It is unlikely that i would have a fish die but if I did it sure as hell wouldnt be going back into the water. There is also no way i would spend the time or waste the breath to call and telling a CO about it.
Different yes but they go hand and hand. If you are ethical you will follow the regulations. It’s not a “well sometimes” I will when it’s convenient.