Dogwood on clay

I wouldn't plant a thing, that's gonna get thick on its own. The natural regeneration will grow much faster than your dogwoods and choke them out.
You will have to cut back that regeneration multiple times a year

It may take some work but this is part of something I want/need to get established.

So I talked to NCR and I have two choices for the dog wood.

Bare root in the spring.

Plugs next fall.

Bare root 12-18" are $0.75per. And he figured I could still put in with a bar.

Plugs Would be 6 size @ 0.38
10 size @ 0.50.

If I did the fall it would be cheaper and less work during a better time of the year to do the work. But I would have to deal with the grasses and regen while planting. Lots of weed whack time.

One thing he said is figure only 8x8 spacing which is only 800/acre and only 1200 to put in which is a lot better than 3500!

Good luck. You better mark everyone with a permanent stake. You will be fighting regeneration that towers over dogwoods. You are also fighting the habitat rod usually grows in.
Just remember, Mother Nature will get her way. Those dogwoods don't stand a chance!
Don't say u weren't warned.

I think MDC has bare root for around $.40 each. I planted gray and silky dog wood from there and they are doing great and have made it through a winter.

I think MDC has bare root for around $.40 each. I planted gray and silky dog wood from there and they are doing great and have made it through a winter.

MDC?

Mdc.mo.gov. I have ordered from three years now. They have nice stuff, cheap.

Silky doesn't have quite the anaerobic tolerance that red osier does. No idea on gray. What is hardiness of gray?
I planted 50 this year but they have not went through a winter yet. They are growing great.

Gray does fine in zone 4. Have some going on 5 years. These are planted in sandy loam however. They ripen a little later than the other dogwoods but if they are deer food, they ain't eating the berries anyway.

In regards to Dippers concerns. What if I doze the area and take out the stumps. Similar how you would doze a new food plot Would that possibly help with making it easier to control new growth?

Ya but that makes no sense. Why are u so fixed on dogwoods for the deer to browse? You know, the more deer browse something the less it will grow. I can't understand why any of the regeneration isn't good enough for browse.
If u are clearing the plot, I'd make it a food plot right away.
I've got some rod and gray dogwood naturally regenerating in my marsh type of habitat. I've never seen rod growing in a woodland type of habitat. It doesn't grow in the woods because it's more of a successional species.
I'll tell u point blank, this plan makes no sense.

Ya but that makes no sense. Why are u so fixed on dogwoods for the deer to browse? You know, the more deer browse something the less it will grow. I can't understand why any of the regeneration isn't good enough for browse.
If u are clearing the plot, I'd make it a food plot right away.
I've got some rod and gray dogwood naturally regenerating in my marsh type of habitat. I've never seen rod growing in a woodland type of habitat. It doesn't grow in the woods because it's more of a successional species.
I'll tell u point blank, this plan makes no sense.

Diversity. Something that is not being offered on the neighbors property. Supplement to the food plot. And to feed deer after the snow is too deep to get to the plots. And more long term. Eventually that new generation browse will end. If I have dogwoods there it will not. Correct?

Your trying to grow something in a place it doesn't naturally grow.
Diversity? Have u ever seen new generation after a clear cut/ good thinning?
Offering something the neighbors don't have? Who cares, the deer could care less. It's dogwood, freaking brush.
Your also loosing out on major deer cover! Who gave you this idea? It doesn't make sense. Or am I the only one here?

I disagree Dipper. I've watched the clear cut behind our property go from clear, to lush browse, to all pitchfork handles in four years. There's very little sign back there and zero food now. The whole idea behind ROD is that it regenerates more when browsed and develops more food and cover. It's the only tree or shrub that I plant where I'm hoping they start hitting it. Those clear cuts are great for a year or two, but after that, they are back to zero food value and kill off anything else of value and choke each other out.

If I could keep our entire place in a state of early succession I would be thrilled. Dogwood is a good bush for that.

Diversity. Something that is not being offered on the neighbors property. Supplement to the food plot. And to feed deer after the snow is too deep to get to the plots. And more long term. Eventually that new generation browse will end. If I have dogwoods there it will not. Correct?
You are correct. Like I said earlier, worst case scenario, you'll have to mow them every few years to start them over. But you'll never develop a clean floor/zero cover situation in a dogwood stand. However, I've never seen a ROD that was too tall to be browsed. Other dogwood yes, red no.

dipper, you are absolutely correct in that the whole area will have massive regen and will fill in completely with vegetation in short order. The issue is, between the stump sprouts and the massive amount of seed on the ground from all the maple trees, the primary regen will be maples and they will leave little room for other species to grow. Now we all know that maples get browsed, but as SD stated, how long will they be productive? With no oaks on his property, Brad cannot possibly expect to have very much, if any, natural regen of oaks on his place to produce mast when the trees start to mature. When those maples are all 10'-15' tall(which won't take very many years at all), then what does he have? Again as SD stated, a near desert after they start to get a good shading canopy. And then it would be his luck that the understory would fill in with some nasty invasive instead of the desirable shrubs he is talking about planting. Besides that he will have some cash burning a hole in his pocket from the logging, ;) so he wants to spend it on some shrubs for habitat, not unlike yourself having money burning a hole in your pocket that you decided to spend on an overpriced boat.

Your putting the cart In Front of the horse. U clear cut those maples it will be a flush of black berry, great deer bedding and food. Maples won't b an issue for 15 years. When that happens hinge them.
I've been battling regeneration to protect spruce for 8 years by my house. It's a pain because I'm living it now.
U do what u want but it's a horrible plan. Get yourself some better deer stands than those pop ups, if u wanna spend $.