Does anyone hinge this time of year?

chummer

5 year old buck +
Our season ends Sunday and with any luck it looks like we might be snow free for a couple weeks. I had a lot of hinging I wanted to do this year. Will the trees survive doing it this early? If I don't do it now I likely won't get to it again till March. I will be hinging mostly beech.

I'd have to say as long as they are dormant now's the time.

I hinge when I can do it. So much stuff going on, I cant wait around to pick he ideal time.

Now is good. Started on Wednesday and figured I best sharpen my chains instead. Kid was using saw cutting firewood and I see more smoke than wood chips as dull as the chains are.

I hope to get some done before before Christmas to get some fresh browse ready for PA's flintlock season.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing Chummer! We have a week of smoke pole season starting tomorrow and then it's time to start some woods projects. I was thinking about areas I want to hinge while on stand the past few weeks.

Hinging now will put browse in front of the deer to help them thru a tough winter.

I plan on being in the woods come morning with a saw.

I tore up all the aspen and smaller oak/maple/beech/hornbeam where the house is going this time last year and the deer were in it pretty thick until the neighbor's loggers showed up in Feb. Next spring I'll be back in there cutting the stuff up for firewood, but the deer'll have gotten a winters food and two winters cover out of it by then.

This weekend's plan is to knock down more aspen by my swamp edge to make some protection for the black spruce going in there when the ground thaws. They should love me, as there's a lot of trees in that 4-5 acres I'll be cutting over. Later in the week I'll be hunting it too. Chainsaw this time of year is a dinner bell!

Absolutely.

What do you guys see for success/deer usage when hinging different DBH areas. It seems I have less success in more mature woodlots. Difficult to get the deer to bed in the hinge when all the tree are 10 inch DBH and bigger, and they don't have much for a crown?

Hinging now will put browse in front of the deer to help them thru a tough winter.
Yup, the WI DNR used to cut down Poplars to feed the deer about this time of year, when it was a hard Winter.

Yup, the WI DNR used to cut down Poplars to feed the deer about this time of year, when it was a hard Winter.
That's what I said MN should have done last year. To hell with that feeding. Contract some bulldozers and get out there and do some shearing.

I am hinging an open area between bedding and my plots. Deer won't walk through there during daylight so I just want to make a thick mess a couple hundred yards long. It is mature cherry and young beech. I am also going to plant crab apples the entire run in the tree tops and see if any of them make it. I actually had half the area done for me during the storm Sandy. I think it was three years ago now but it knocked down a dozen giant cherry and maple right in a line and that has began to thicken up nice.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one planning while in my tree stand. Chummer, that sounds exactly like what we're doing at my camp, but our trees are red maple, some junky oak and hornbeam, and a few white pines. We're trying to make a thick, secure travel zone between bedding and our plots. We have apples and crabs in and around our plots and we're planting spruce and hawthorn in the cut areas for additional cover. We haven't hinged anything yet, but we're going to this winter. Not a BIG hinging project, but putting some throughout the cut area to add variety to the cover/browse. We sell most of the timber and the $$$ pays for our food & habitat projects.

The cutting we've done at camp wasn't hinging. It was dropping trees entirely to get sunlight to the ground. But the tops from the mature trees made lots of browse and bedding cover. The night after we started cutting, the deer moved in and bedded right in those tops. When we came back in the next morning to continue cutting, we bumped deer out of the tops and could see where they had nipped the young twigs all night and then bedded in them. ( 2" of snow on ground ) Proved the attraction to us.

Sounds like most of us will be in the woods this winter with saws. For the deer and game - that's a GOOD thing. For 8 or 10 of the guys at my camp, it's a reason to head for camp in the winter and the benefits for deer - and future hunting - are enormous.

What do you guys see for success/deer usage when hinging different DBH areas. It seems I have less success in more mature woodlots. Difficult to get the deer to bed in the hinge when all the tree are 10 inch DBH and bigger, and they don't have much for a crown?

does that change as the regrowth comes IN?

I also have trouble hinging big trees like that. I do not even try. Just cut them down. I feel it is safer.

I tend to wait on hinging until late winter and into early spring. I have done hinging with sap running out before, I just think the trees tend to be more flexible and hinge easier then.

I don't have much in that size range (10" DBH or bigger) that I'd hinge. 90%+ of what I'm hingeing is 1-6" ironwood
What kind of response do you get from hinging Ironwood at your place? What type of trees do you have in the upper canopy? I am new to owning Northern hardwoods and have a lot of Ironwood growing under hard Maple and Red Oak. Will hinging the Ironwood in this situation help? Are you hinging more for cover, browse or both?

What kind of response do you get from hinging Ironwood at your place? What type of trees do you have in the upper canopy? I am new to owning Northern hardwoods and have a lot of Ironwood growing under hard Maple and Red Oak. Will hinging the Ironwood in this situation help? Are you hinging more for cover, browse or both?
I consider the extra browse a secondary benefit of hinging. I read on another site that basswood is good for browse if that helps at all. If the deer are hungry enough I am sure they will eat anything.

Hop hornbeam (ironwood) is a trash tree and not good for anything but burning and beating your kids with. It doesn't hinge well, dulls chains, and I don't know of anything that eats it.

Taking it out is the best thing to do with it. Folding it over (hinge) or lopping it off - either one will stunt it's growth and allow something useful a bit more light.

Blue Beech (also called ironwood) is less of a pain in the a__, but also isn't a preferred browse species. It hinges better, but there again might be something to cull out instead.

Has your hinging produced any bedding use, Stu?

The hornbeam I've knocked over is usuall under wrist size, so it doesn't have any volume on it's own.