Do you move your feeder?

animal1x

A good 3 year old buck
Any one using supplemental feeders, how long do you leave a feeder at the same location? Do you move it around? Why?

I have a feeder that has been in the same location for a little over a year and a half now. Been feeding year around at that location and goal is to continue year around supplemental feeding. Now deer ain't just flocking in on it but it's likely to have deer on it at any given time. Trail cam pics from middle of day to middle of night.

Just wanting to know, what with the findings of cwd in this, and other states, if I should be thinking of moving the feeder around every year or so, at least maybe a hundred yards or so? Waste of time? Or good practice? Or to discontinue supplemental feeding?

Elbert

In La. I have had feeders in same place for many years. The only reason I ever move them is if the ground underneath gets wallowed out from use and starts holding water. If you have any concerns you can sanitize the area underneath with clorox . Deer breeders do that though I question how necessary that is in the wild.There has never been any correlation between supplemental feed and any disease though numerous scientific studies have been conducted by highly credible researchers.

There has never been any correlation between supplemental feed and any disease though numerous scientific studies have been conducted by highly credible researchers.

Is this true for propogation of CWD?

Thanks much for the link ksgobbler. I don't mean to hijack the man's thread but everything we've been told by the game department, wildlife biologists, and the research community focused on CWD is feeding can indeed facilitate/accelerate propagation of the disease. Supplemental feeding and the use of mineral stations is now prohibited in those counties where CWD has been confirmed for the reasons detailed in the document you shared.

I'm gonna' echo the thanks on the link ksgobbler. And thank you also to both Baker and Boll Weevil for the replies.

Thanks for posting this. I have never seen a scientific paper correlating CWD to protein supplementation and after reading this report I still haven't seen one. As I appreciate it the authors of this report are with the Wi. DNR and have clabbered together research trying to support their position. Predominantly words and phrases like---" likely important, suggests that, more likely etc" were used which is hardly the domain of science. They even confess that no study or paper demonstrates CWD related effects from baiting --"-though it seems maybe it might "[ My words] This whole report smacks of theory, conjecture, opinion and potential sold off as science.

It is also my read that the focus was on frozen bait piles on the ground left for long periods of time in the same place. Obviously this bears no relationship to protein supplementation thru gravity feeders. While I think they accurately portray how CWD gets spread they then suggest there is a build up of feces, urine and saliva where supplemental feed is distributed. I question if they have ever seen a supplemental feed station? One is far more likely to find feces and urine in a food plot that at a feed station. After reading this I went to 22 different feed stations looking for feces. None anywhere in sight of the feeder whereas walking thru a food plot feces are easy to find. Shall we stop growing crops for deer? Especially small plots where it might be more concentrated?

They propose that TB could be transmitted by supplemental feeding. If this was true there wouldn't be a deer alive in Tx.! I'm not sure many understand the scale of supplemental feeding in the south at least where I am familiar. There are literally tens of thousands of feeders out here feeding all the time for years. Countless tons are fed every month.

I also found some of the sources they quoted to support their position interesting. One was Steve Demarais. Interesting in that he is with Ms. State which recently did the podcast sharing the benefits of supplemental feeding. Another is Randy DeYoung who is with Ceasar Kleburg who has done numerous studies on many aspects of supplemental feeding. Could the authors have taken words out of context to support their position?

They propose that the chances of CWD being spread at a feeder increase because of saliva. I propose that EVERY deer within a few square mile of each other has exchanged bodily fluids annually and probably more often. That is my unscientific but personal observationSo I don't buy the saliva feeder correlation.

I'll get off my high horse now. Its as simple as this. One can look at the theory proposed by the state agency authors of this report or one can look at the studies done by Cesar Kleburg, The Noble Foundation, Ms. State, numerous university research facilities, and the gigantic anecdotal base of real managers in real world situations improving their deer herds thru many activities including supplemental feed which has be in place for decades now.

Thanks for posting this. I have never seen a scientific paper correlating CWD to protein supplementation and after reading this report I still haven't seen one. As I appreciate it the authors of this report are with the Wi. DNR and have clabbered together research trying to support their position. Predominantly words and phrases like---" likely important, suggests that, more likely etc" were used which is hardly the domain of science. They even confess that no study or paper demonstrates CWD related effects from baiting --"-though it seems maybe it might "[ My words] This whole report smacks of theory, conjecture, opinion and potential sold off as science.

It is also my read that the focus was on frozen bait piles on the ground left for long periods of time in the same place. Obviously this bears no relationship to protein supplementation thru gravity feeders. While I think they accurately portray how CWD gets spread they then suggest there is a build up of feces, urine and saliva where supplemental feed is distributed. I question if they have ever seen a supplemental feed station? One is far more likely to find feces and urine in a food plot that at a feed station. After reading this I went to 22 different feed stations looking for feces. None anywhere in sight of the feeder whereas walking thru a food plot feces are easy to find. Shall we stop growing crops for deer? Especially small plots where it might be more concentrated?

They propose that TB could be transmitted by supplemental feeding. If this was true there wouldn't be a deer alive in Tx.! I'm not sure many understand the scale of supplemental feeding in the south at least where I am familiar. There are literally tens of thousands of feeders out here feeding all the time for years. Countless tons are fed every month.

I also found some of the sources they quoted to support their position interesting. One was Steve Demarais. Interesting in that he is with Ms. State which recently did the podcast sharing the benefits of supplemental feeding. Another is Randy DeYoung who is with Ceasar Kleburg who has done numerous studies on many aspects of supplemental feeding. Could the authors have taken words out of context to support their position?

They propose that the chances of CWD being spread at a feeder increase because of saliva. I propose that EVERY deer within a few square mile of each other has exchanged bodily fluids annually and probably more often. That is my unscientific but personal observationSo I don't buy the saliva feeder correlation.

I'll get off my high horse now. Its as simple as this. One can look at the theory proposed by the state agency authors of this report or one can look at the studies done by Cesar Kleburg, The Noble Foundation, Ms. State, numerous university research facilities, and the gigantic anecdotal base of real managers in real world situations improving their deer herds thru many activities including supplemental feed which has be in place for decades now.

Curious then what you think their angle is for taking that approach? I tend to agree, Texas, Kentucky, Kansas, etc wouldn’t have a deer alive if bait stations absolutely spread diseases, and I am anti baiting but not because I believe it spreads diseases.

What is a feeder?

Do you have cattle?