All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diversity/sunflower plot technique

i just hope to have something close to black soil at some point

The only problem with the sunflowers is residue on the surface. The C:N ratio on sunflowers is fairly wide. You'll need to cultivate in the residue to help with decomposition. This will likely temporarily draw down soil N levels as the N becomes immobilized. Plus, you have the added problem of sunflower stalks on tractor tires. Still, it's a really neat idea and I'm glad to see more of this taking place. I actually planted some sunflowers in the middle of one of my E-fenced bean food plot this year. So far, I'm really happy with it.

In my line of work, I actually met a farmer near Dubuque, IA who was intercropping 60" corn with a similar combo of cover crops (minus the buckwheat). The previous year he yielded 300 bu/ac with organic (!) corn. Absolutely the future of ag is going to be using a system like this.

I did a TNM plot with sunflowers this year into a TNM plot with sunflowers from last year. No issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically I did a throw and crimp planting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk