Deer pasture mix

nwmn

5 year old buck +
So I've got a field directly behind our cabin that I want to plant into a green perennial mix. I'd like alfalfa, chicory, and clover planted together.

I formulated this a while back, but I never really had a plan for which types to use. I know there are many types of alfalfa, and also chicory and clover. What is the best type of alfalfa for deer? I know vernal is good for baling, but deer are a little different. Ed spinazzola talks of grazing alfalfa. What varieties have worked for you?

Chicory - are all chicory varieties the same? What should I target for a mixture chicory?

Clover - I don't want the clover to take over, so I don't know if I want white dutch. Should I just do a ladino clover and mix in medium red? Or, should I throw in 4 different varieties and just give the deer a nice mix of everything?

I wouldn't be opposed to multiple varieties of all the types of seed, if there are benefits to all. Kind of annoying when ordering though haha

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Are you wanting a large food plot or something for cows and deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am planning a plot that is a 50/50 mix of medium red and alfalfa this year. As far as the type of alfalfa, would be interested in hearing what others say as well. I did see on the welters seed website, they had a type that was supposed to be able to handle wetter ground. Excel brand 353br, but it is over $200 a bag.

Alfalfa varieties as far as deer are going to be a moot point. What will effect a variety selection is the conditions specific to the area you are planting, your geographic area for instance. Some varieties just like different conditions. Now, there can be some traits to look for in varieties available in your area.
For instance Vernal Alfalfa tends to have heavier stalks where other varieties used for hay may have thinner stalks and more leaves per plant. The draw back here is many of the improved varieties will need cut/mowed more frequently as the plants will mature quicker, die out, and then regrow again from the in place root systems.

If a heavily foraged area this may not be an issue either way for instance. If your herd keeps the area naturally mowed, it really won’t make any difference as the plants will continually be growing and putting on new growth where a lightly grazed area may turn stemmy and cease to put on lush attractive growth.

If adding in a mix I would suggest a med red clover as they make very good cohabitants. I would stay away from the whites as they will tend to outcompete with your alfalfa.

Just to add variety selection should be more based on disease resistance, cold tolerance, or insect resistance to match your specific growing conditions and area. Hope this helps.

Here are my thoughts:

If you have good soil perhaps alfalfa may be a fit, but I find it takes a lot more work and fills a similar niche to clover.

As far as chicory goes, the key is tannin. You want a low-tannin variety. You can search this form for folks favorite varieties but the thin all of the good ones have in common is a low tannin content.

I'll let folks in your area recommend appropriate clover varieties.

Thanks,

Jack

Alfalfa tend to be much harder to establish/ maintain than clovers. If you don't frequently get to this property it may be something to reconsider. Is there already alfalfa in the old field? If so it may be even harder to start. I don't know the tech terms but alfalfa gives off some toxin that won't let new alfalfa start. This is what I've heard from a few farmer friends anyways

So I've got a field directly behind our cabin that I want to plant into a green perennial mix. I'd like alfalfa, chicory, and clover planted together.

I formulated this a while back, but I never really had a plan for which types to use. I know there are many types of alfalfa, and also chicory and clover. What is the best type of alfalfa for deer? I know vernal is good for baling, but deer are a little different. Ed spinazzola talks of grazing alfalfa. What varieties have worked for you?

Chicory - are all chicory varieties the same? What should I target for a mixture chicory?

Clover - I don't want the clover to take over, so I don't know if I want white dutch. Should I just do a ladino clover and mix in medium red? Or, should I throw in 4 different varieties and just give the deer a nice mix of everything?

I wouldn't be opposed to multiple varieties of all the types of seed, if there are benefits to all. Kind of annoying when ordering though haha

Alfalfa is the one bob seeds I buy just because I can't find any other than vernal alfalfa sold by the lb. and I don't want to spend a couple hundred on a 50# bag. I've had good luck the Whitetail Institute Alfa rack plus, the plus is chicory, I also add med red clover to it and have a mix close to what you are talking about.

That alfalfa trait is autotoxicity. Alfalfa is picky about soil pH. Without a soil test, I would pass on alfalfa. My second soil test gave way lower pH readings.

https://www.grandparayoutdoors.com/product-page/3x

I planted some of this last fall. https://www.grandparayoutdoors.com/product-page/mass-builder-25-lbs-lbs

Trying to learn about alfalfa. The initial plot got hit hard, neither of these products. You can overseed alfalfa within the first year. Will see how that plots recovers.

I will be able to overseed clovers in the mass builder if the alfalfa fails.

I would like to get enough alfalfa growing that I could get some round bales to put out over the winter months.

The 3X blend above is 70% alfalfa.

I don't have extensive experience with doing this, but I have done it. I won't do it again.

The alfalfa is expensive, picky as far as soil is concerned (pH, fertility & drainage) and if the deer don't keep it trimmed up you will need to mow and remove the clippings it also doesn't like competition. In my case the alfalfa essentially died out because it was too big of a pain to mess with. I will stick with clover/chicory plots. Only way I would ever consider it again is if I have a significant deer density and or was intending on treating it like a forage crop complete with mowing and baling.

If you are determined to do alfalfa - plant it in strips on the best soil you have and hope for the best.

NWMM- make sure you have a good PH if your planting perennials. If your experienced, I’m sure you aware of this.

I'm going to slightly disagree with the group, you can grow alfalfa without perfect soil PH. I have a 1/4 acre strip next to my primary corn and bean planting that is doing very well. When I originally planted it my PH was 6. I planted it in the spring and was fortunate to have great rain that spring. My soil is also sandy so I was fortunate to get the rain. Alfalfa will not grow as well on lower PH soils but your not harvesting it so it's not a bad thing. Rain and establishment is key.

My alfalfa is foregrazer. Go to the products tab and alfalfa and you will find it.

http://www.alseed.com/Pages/CropCategoryListing.aspx?categoryID=61

Last edited:
I'm going to slightly disagree with the group, you can grow alfalfa without perfect soil PH. I have a 1/4 acre strip next to my primary corn and bean planting that is doing very well. When I originally planted it my PH was 6. I planted it in the spring and was fortunate to have great rain that spring. My soil is also sandy so I was fortunate to get the rain. Alfalfa will not grow as well on lower PH soils but your not harvesting it so it's not a bad thing. Rain and establishment is key.

My alfalfa is foregrazer. Go to the products tab and alfalfa and you will find it.

http://www.alseed.com/Pages/CropCategoryListing.aspx?categoryID=61
What recommendations do you have for a thin stand? How do you rotate out of it?

Does anyone know who sells the RR Alfalfa by the pound?

What recommendations do you have for a thin stand? How do you rotate out of it?
This is my first try with it, 2018 will be my third year so I have not rotated crops yet. Mine is a mix of Alfalfa and red clover. I drill WW in late summer to use up some of the nitrogen. I mow mine as needed ( more frequent with rains) to keep it from getting to tall.

How big is your thining plot, are you broadcasting? if broadcasting, while still dormant, I would lightly till the soil, broadcast, drag and pack.

Does anyone know who sells the RR Alfalfa by the pound?

The Monsanto technology agreement excludes RR alfalfa from food plot us I believe.

Hey guys, lots of good info. I did a bit of reading, and ed spinazola seems to have some good input for food plots and seed varieties.
I may try and get a stand of falcata alfalfa growing as I read it does well with low rainfall areas, and is pretty winter hardy.

I'll probably mix in a medium red clover with ladino and fixation with the chicory, which will be planted near bow locations.

I am also going to try a stand of kura clover as well. The intent is to no till all of this in as I know a guy who does custom seeding, so I'm going to see if he can do it all for me at one time.

Kura is a forever clover same as falcata I believe. Kura is also naturally glyphosate resistant so maintenance should be simple.

I'd like to no till corn into the kura stand as well as I've seen articles of it being done, doesn't hurt to try it right? We've got more acreage this year for plots and I want more perennials, especially long lasting ones so I don't have so many acres to stress about every year :)