Deer love sugar beets

I have grown sugar beets twice during the last 28 years. They get little use by deer, just like turnips, rutabagas, and radishes. Radishes get just a bit of use.

Three miles away, they love turnips.
Two times in 28 years is not very much statistical data. I've grown them for 15 years. And EVERY year the deer have eaten them. Nibble on the leaves and small bulbs all summer and once a frost hit them hard.
People in our area buy beets from farmers for winter feed.

I plant several acres of RR Beets every year. Damn deer eat EVERY bit by early December before I can put cattle in the field. That really sucks. NOTHING Beats Sugar Beets. I have been planting them for as long as they have been available.

I plant several acres of RR Beets every year. Damn deer eat EVERY bit by early December before I can put cattle in the field. That really sucks. NOTHING Beats Sugar Beets. I have been planting them for as long as they have been available.

Any chance you would have some extra seed to help a fella out?

I love this stuff so much I keep an extra years supply of seed on hand in the freezer just in case I can't get it next year. Ed S in Michigan might have some left. I really would like to plant 5 or 6 acres some year and see if I get any to make it until spring.

Nice score, all in one outing?

Sheds found today, on and near my sugar beet plot

If your neighbor ever has a bag of that seed fall off the truck. Let us know.

Nice score, all in one outing?

One outing, today (4/12/17) between 3-4 pm. Drove the 4wh up and down field and picked them up.

2 years ago I found 12 shed on my land in one day. I found 9 of them on one sugar beet field of .2 acres. I have 13 acres of crops. You decide what they like the best!

I have a plot that is about 3/4 acre that I have been planting in radish and turnips. They eat the greens almost to the ground and don't let them develop much for bulbs. Would I expect the same, or worse then if I planted sugar beets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone ordered beets from Ed this spring? I tried emailing him, and the email came back as not a good email.

Has anyone ordered beets from Ed this spring? I tried emailing him, and the email came back as not a good email.

Sent you a PM

Nitro- can you pm me where you get rr beets? Thanks

I love to tell everyone a source of seed so you could grow some beets. But not possible, I have to scrounge around and it seems like most years the source is someone/somewhere different. I've bought them from Ed., a place in S MN sold for a couple years.

Searching a bit and found Ed's Facebook page. Have no idea if he has seed or not.
https://www.facebook.com/Deer-Attraction-629899400364776/

Last edited:
Here's a link for the seed store here in OH that I buy from. Always quality seed. I don't think they are RR, but you may want to ask. Might be trying sugar beets myself this summer.

http://meritseed.com/sugar-beets-coated-annual/

I have nothing to offer this year, but have a relative who farms a few thousand acres of beets who thought it wouldn't be a problem to get seed from his seed guy in the future. I have a little leftover for this year but will look at bigger quantity next year.

Btw, I first planted 1/8th acres in 2006 and they were not touched. I stopped planting after that, then decided to start up 2 years ago, and they have been pounded the last two years. I plan to keep them in rotation if possible from now on.

I have nothing to offer this year, but have a relative who farms a few thousand acres of beets who thought it wouldn't be a problem to get seed from his seed guy in the future. I have a little leftover for this year but will look at bigger quantity next year.

Btw, I first planted 1/8th acres in 2006 and they were not touched. I stopped planting after that, then decided to start up 2 years ago, and they have been pounded the last two years. I plan to keep them in rotation if possible from now on.

Thanks for the offer! I, for one, would definitely be interested.

Me too!

Sheds found today, on and near my sugar beet plot.
View attachment 12754
Wow, nice job! MN can produce some decent deer after all! You got some reaaalllllly nice deer to look forward to next year!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wow, nice job! MN can produce some decent deer after all! You got some reaaalllllly nice deer to look forward to next year!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Shhhh, don't tell anybody about how big our bucks are.