Deer love sugar beets

I tried Winter Bulbs and Sugar Beets the last two years, and the deer really hammer them when it turns cold

I watch them paw the bulbs out of snow covered frozen ground.

I tried Winter Bulbs and Sugar Beets the last two years, and the deer really hammer them when it turns cold

I watch them paw the bulbs out of snow covered frozen ground.

How do you manage weed control? I've always wanted to try beets but read it's a bear to get them started.

Good weed control before planting.

Patience, Patience, Patience!!!! It takes awhile for them to sprout, you'll see all kinds of grass and weeds growing, once beets get a good start spray roundup, assuming you have RR beets. Spray Roundup 2-3 times till beets canopy and that's it.

How do you manage weed control? I've always wanted to try beets but read it's a bear to get them started.

I was wondering this too. Is there anything out there to spray onto beets to control weeds other than roundup?

Guys,

The seeds I use are not typical agriculture beet seeds. I believe this are from Mossy Oak, but they are planted in the late summer and so weed control is not an issue. That is one of the reasons I use them. Thanks!

Guys,

The seeds I use are not typical agriculture beet seeds. I believe this are from Mossy Oak, but they are planted in the late summer and so weed control is not an issue. That is one of the reasons I use them. Thanks!

Keep hanging out with us rouges. No such thing as a special seed :emoji_wink:. Personally, I believe this is the message the Q team couldn't control which lead to them closing the forums. By law there is a seed tag on the back of that bag that says what's in it. 2.25 lbs of bulbs and beets for $22 at bass pro.

1 lbs of sugar beets + 1 lb of brassica's from Walters seed for about $10. Pretty good mark up for the plastic bag with a pretty picture on it.

Next time I get to a store that sells it I'll look at the tag to see what's in there.

Question I have about beets..... Since I have issues with deer eating my radish and turnips as it is - are beets even worth a shot? Has anyone had issue with deer not eating turnips or radish and then plant beets and have the deer love them? I'm not going thru the trouble if they are going to be ignored like my other brassica's.

Question I have about beets..... Since I have issues with deer eating my radish and turnips as it is - are beets even worth a shot? Has anyone had issue with deer not eating turnips or radish and then plant beets and have the deer love them? I'm not going thru the trouble if they are going to be ignored like my other brassica's.

I've never planted them j-bird but I would guess if your deer aren't eating other tubers these won't be much better.
I'd get a small pack of seed from the hardware store and test a micro plot in your situation

I've never planted them j-bird but I would guess if your deer aren't eating other tubers these won't be much better.
I'd get a small pack of seed from the hardware store and test a micro plot in your situation
Hate to disagree with you Bill, but I've never seen a deer NOT eat sugar beets. I have radishes & turnips nearby and barely touched.

What is the difference between RR sugar beets and non RR sugar beets other than weed control?

Sounds like it might be worth a small trial. The deer are slowly coming around to radish and turnips at my place, but it has been a VERY SLOW process. If I do a small trial plot I will plant the other tuber next to it and try to get a side-by-side test. How does sugar beet seed compare in size to radish and turnip. Turnip is small ....like clover seed, while radish is bigger........just considering planting methods that would be needed.

What is the difference between RR sugar beets and non RR sugar beets other than weed control?

Like corn only the roundup trait.

Sounds like it might be worth a small trial. The deer are slowly coming around to radish and turnips at my place, but it has been a VERY SLOW process. If I do a small trial plot I will plant the other tuber next to it and try to get a side-by-side test. How does sugar beet seed compare in size to radish and turnip. Turnip is small ....like clover seed, while radish is bigger........just considering planting methods that would be needed.

approx. 1/8 in dia. full gallon bag+ would do about and acre

Picked up my beet seed today. Got it early this year.

Where did you get it from? I thought RR Beets were unavailable??

I've been planting sugar beets for years with good results, I just broadcast them right on top of the ground in early August here usually into standing corn along the edge of woods and have no problem getting them to come up. Deer don't seem to even notice them until a few hard frosts usually late November, it ups the sugar content or something and then the deer won't leave them alone until they are gone. Sometimes I mix turnips in with them...a little beet seed goes a long way.

I buy mine locally from Burtch Seed, they do a decent mail order business too http://burtchseed.com/cover-crops/ . I also buy any kind of clover or chicory seed I need from them and they are always priced better than anyone for native grasses.

w7dNrF1.jpg

rbP6gRB.jpg

oLTWWKG.jpg

Last edited:
Are you getting any bulb or just leaf with the fall seeding?

Bill,
Poor language on my part. I do not think that seed is special, it is just convenient to purchase a small quantity while at a big box stores. My volume seed purchases are done at Tri-Star just up the road from me.

As you know, fall plantings typically have less weed competition and that is what I meant. I am in a heavy agriculture area and so now plant mainly for fall/winter plots to conserve money. They have plenty of food close by during spring and summer.

The only time I do summer plots, like some beans this year, is solely for rotation to keep building the soil. The beans are going in where I had brassicas/cereal grains two years in a row.

Thanks!

Pic from this last Jan.

Attachments

• IMAG2226.jpg
    IMAG2226.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 81

Are you planting RR? Or just natural seed? If RR, where are you getting your seed from? I would love to plant some this year!

I have grown sugar beets twice during the last 28 years. They get little use by deer, just like turnips, rutabagas, and radishes. Radishes get just a bit of use.

Three miles away, they love turnips.