Deer have disappeared out of food plots

eclipseman

5 year old buck +
I have two food plots and the deer where hitting them hard all late summer up until about a week ago (clover, rye, and brassica). Some deer are still occasionally showing up but no where near the amount of pics I was getting. We have some local farms nearby of cow corn that have been cut or are currently being cut and I was hoping that would have made more deer come to our plots, but maybe the deer decided to move away to look for other sources of corn in the area. My other guess is maybe they are in the woods hitting acorns. I am in upstate NY for a reference. Thoughts?

I would say they are in the woods eating acorns.

Your guess is as good as any, but I would say that another food source become enticing or that social reasons caused the change. Every yr I see an absence of deer in my plots at about the time that bachelor groups break up. It may have something to do with sorting out dominance and territories but that is pure speculation.

time to find the oaks, sounds like they moved on to acorn feeding, hard to pull deer in off of them to any plot.

time to find the oaks, sounds like they moved on to acorn feeding, hard to pull deer in off of them to any plot.

Agree. Find the oaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two food plots and the deer where hitting them hard all late summer up until about a week ago (clover, rye, and brassica). Some deer are still occasionally showing up but no where near the amount of pics I was getting. We have some local farms nearby of cow corn that have been cut or are currently being cut and I was hoping that would have made more deer come to our plots, but maybe the deer decided to move away to look for other sources of corn in the area. My other guess is maybe they are in the woods hitting acorns. I am in upstate NY for a reference. Thoughts?
Happens here where the acorns fall. Nothing keeps them off of them here except their absence.

Happens here where the acorns fall. Nothing keeps them off of them here except their absence.

That is what I was thinking. My land is about 120 acres. On my property I have a decent amount of red oaks with a smaller amount of whites.

This may be a stupid question, but do they eat the acorns until there are really none left OR do acorns start to rot/degrade after some time? I'm wondering if they will make their way back to the plots before the end of the season (our season ends early December).

Here in Minnesota we experience the "October lull" for 2-3 weeks where it seems as though the deer all left. I believe it's just the deer adjusting to the seasonal change and the lack of leaves on trees seems to change the deers routine. Bucks start to think about does and everything you think you knew is out the window. Maybe a neighboring property has something better to offer the deer?

It might mean your neighbor threw out a bait pile of corn. Nothing changes deer movement quite like a bait pile.

That is what I was thinking. My land is about 120 acres. On my property I have a decent amount of red oaks with a smaller amount of whites.

This may be a stupid question, but do they eat the acorns until there are really none left OR do acorns start to rot/degrade after some time? I'm wondering if they will make their way back to the plots before the end of the season (our season ends early December).

I can't say how they will behave in your area. It depends on a lot of factors and probably the biggest is hunting pressure. Deer have an algorithm that runs in their brain that is constantly evaluating food, security, and sex. I have a wireless camera network that runs 24/7/365. For a few seasons, I charted deer pictures relative to shooting hours. Our archery season begins in early October but the day/night shift begins in September. Starting in early September we have a slow by steady decline in pictures during shooting hours and an increase outside shooting hours. This slow steady decline occurs through our entire archery season. As our muzzleloader season begins in November, the decline of shooting hour pictures slightly accelerates. When firearm season begins, the decline becomes dramatic and shooting hour pictures drop sharply.

There are several things that account for this trend. One is shifting food sources, but a large part is pressure. Hunters suddenly enter the woods to set or check deer stands and to scout in September. The numbers increase in October when Archery season begins. Muzzleloader season puts more hunters into the woods, but sex in now becoming a stronger factor in deer movement. When our general firearms season comes in, so does dog hunting for deer in our state. While we don't dog hunt on our property, dog's can't read no trespassing signs. Deer hunker down during the day.

These curves vary from year to year based on a number of factors including deer numbers and acorn crop. In heavy acorn crop years, deer still use our fields but only after dark. They don't eat only acorns, but they can bed in the hardwoods. When they get hungry during the day, they just stand up, walk a few yards, and scarf down acorns until they are full. When acorns first fall, they are a treat and they abandon the fields, but eventually they balance their diet and use the fields at night. In years when we have a mast crop failure or a poor mast crop, deer are forced to move to go from cover to the fields for quality food. They will tolerate more human pressure under these conditions. However, if there is a good mast crop, they will react to pressure much more and stay where they have food in cover.

Fairly new clear-cuts can have the same effect. Deer, for much of the hunting season here, can get good quality food while staying in cover. They again react much more to pressure.

So, deer will begin using your fields again. Whether they use them during shooting hours or not will depend largely on pressure and the availability of food in cover. Sex can trump everything else when the rut comes into play.

Thanks,

Jack

Happens every year as the temps begin to drop. They leave the green food plots for the acorns. They will return in 2 to 3 weeks when the acorns have been consumed.

Acorns or other food sources certainly can cause a shift...so can pressure and changes in cover. Here corn is cover. When the corn comes out the deer patterns change because that cover isn't there any more. Acorns will degrade and rot over time and the deer will eat more than just acorns. However almost every critter in the woods eats acorns as well. Also consider that some oaks will drop at different times as well. Our plots are to supplement the deer's diet, not make up the entire thing. Sometimes we forget that. They will still visit, but keep in mind that bucks are going to soon switch from feeding to breeding patterns and that will scatter the bucks out and shift their focus as well.

3 thoughts:
1)acorns
2)acorns
3)acorns

bill

Acorns acorns acorns

Unfortunately one of your neighbors must be using an amazing attractant like "C'mere Deer". You're really powerless unless you fight fire with fire.

Acorns aren't the only mast that's falling now. Cherries, grapes, wild apples...then there is the domestic mass in yards...apples, pears, chestnuts.
My deer are still coming to plots but they are showing up later. A few weeks ago, they pretty much made a bee line to the plots because they weren't distracted by the mast in the woods. Now, its just taking them longer to get to the plots. They may completely load up their 1st rumen fill in the woods, then lay down and chew cud for an hour before they mosey on out to the plots.
Summer foods are mostly about protein...clover, alfalfa, green stuff.
As fall appraches, they begin to crave carbs and fat a bit more.

My guess is acorns.

But plenty of other goodies hitting the ground here right now. I got over 1,000 pics last week on a camera looking at a trail about 20 feet from a persimmon that is dropping. My ground is also loaded with chestnuts right now. The ground below the trees looks like a pig pen.

But, with that said - you are probably seeing the affect of acorns falling. I have loaded sawtooths this year that hadn't dropped any as of last weekend. Might be just in time for the October 20-21 ML season. I see several of our native oaks that have been falling for several days.

Unfortunately one of your neighbors must be using an amazing attractant like "C'mere Deer". You're really powerless unless you fight fire with fire.

Stop it :emoji_smile: You know its acorns.

I tried C’mere deer. Didn’t work. :emoji_face_palm:

That’s true too I actually did once. :)

Redmond minerals?.........

bill