All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deer have disappeared out of food plots

Let's be honest and say what it really is:

ULn6l3yh.jpg

My bucks have been a no show this whole year. My entire 27 acres of food plots failed this year. We had a drought in May and June that killed 12 acres beans and five acres sunflowers. The rest was in durana clover and early spring floods got all of it. September camera surveys showed almost the same number of does - but a .3 bucks to 1 doe ratio - when usually it is a 1.3 bucks to 1 doe ratio. What few bucks that are around are young deer. I am assuming the bachelor herds of bucks found easy feeding somewhere else and didnt frequent my ground due to a lack of easy, high quality food. I am one who believes the more bucks you hold winter spring and summer - the more you will have come fall. My concern is - will these bucks come back during hunting season? And just because I have a lot of does, does not mean the bucks will be there with them - at least not on my place - the bucks have proved that

My bucks have been a no show this whole year. My entire 27 acres of food plots failed this year. We had a drought in May and June that killed 12 acres beans and five acres sunflowers. The rest was in durana clover and early spring floods got all of it. September camera surveys showed almost the same number of does - but a .3 bucks to 1 doe ratio - when usually it is a 1.3 bucks to 1 doe ratio. What few bucks that are around are young deer. I am assuming the bachelor herds of bucks found easy feeding somewhere else and didnt frequent my ground due to a lack of easy, high quality food. I am one who believes the more bucks you hold winter spring and summer - the more you will have come fall. My concern is - will these bucks come back during hunting season? And just because I have a lot of does, does not mean the bucks will be there with them - at least not on my place - the bucks have proved that
Any EHD issues in your area this year?
It tends to be worse during drought and hits mature bucks more than other segments of the herd.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Any EHD issues in your area this year?
It tends to be worse during drought and hits mature bucks more than other segments of the herd.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

No EHD that I have heard of. Actually been a mild, fairly wet summer. I live on my place and am in the woods everyday and have not seen a dead deer this year. I have another property 8 miles away - just as many bucks as ever - and maybe more bigger bucks than usual.