Deer ears, I'll be all over 1st product to kill ticks on deer

willy

5 year old buck +
These all come off the same farm. It has a high deer density. On another farm I can hardly find a tick on the deer when I look through the pics.

In all the pics I got of fawns I can not spot much for ticks on them. I wonder if the mother picks/pulls them off with her teeth.

If a company comes up with a product to stop tick fly infestation for deer without adverse side effects,de 31.jpgde44.jpgde55.jpgdeer ear 21.jpgdeer earrr.jpg I am all in.

Attachments

• de4.JPG
    de4.JPG
    401.3 KB · Views: 19
  • de5.JPG
    de5.JPG
    488.4 KB · Views: 18
  • deer ear 2.JPG
    deer ear 2.JPG
    484.2 KB · Views: 19
  • deer ear.JPG
    deer ear.JPG
    477.1 KB · Views: 19
Ivermectin kills internal and external parasites in hogs and cattle. Ingested or injected. Could possibly work on deer I guess.

Permethrin works great...Now if I could just get the deer to stand still while I spray them. :emoji_thinking:

Look up cattle rubs (they are basically big cloth ropes that hold the chemical). They are cheap and can be hung horizontally from t-posts or limbs. Put them up in a square shape about 3-4ft high, saturate with Permethrin or Ivermectin, and dump a pile of corn in the middle.

I have pics somewhere of two bucks eating ticks off each other earlier this summer. One would stand in position while the other went up and down his ears like eating corn, then they would switch places. I watched them do this all morning. Amazing how social they are!

Nice! Any studies on if this affects beneficial insects such as dung beetles?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
My understanding is that it only effects parasitic insects. I have talked to several cattle farmers that have had good success with it. It can be "injected" by squirting it into a cows mouth, or it can be given orally by mixing it with feed. Humans can use it also, but that is by prescription only, for things like head lice and man internal parasites. I have heard that TSC sells several of the different manufactures, but I have not verified that. Supposedly there are liquid and powder versions on the market.

We use "pour on" for our cattle. Will have to give this some research. Thanks.
Nice! Any studies on if this affects beneficial insects such as dung beetles?

My understanding is that it only effects parasitic insects. I have talked to several cattle farmers that have had good success with it. It can be "injected" by squirting it into a cows mouth, or it can be given orally by mixing it with feed. Humans can use it also, but that is by prescription only, for things like head lice and man internal parasites. I have heard that TSC sells several of the different manufactures, but I have not verified that. Supposedly there are liquid and powder versions on the market.

Jack thanks for sharing the site. I've used ivermectin for my dogs but didn't realize it could be used for deer as well.

Catscratch, a friend who is a vet and I were talking about the cattle rub concept but he warned that the does who rubbed on it who have a strong scent back to their fawns that predators then used to find the fawns. I believe he referenced a study that showed this. Either way it makes sense about the scent betraying the fawns location so I don't think I would choose that method of delivery.

Jack thanks for sharing the site. I've used ivermectin for my dogs but didn't realize it could be used for deer as well.

Catscratch, a friend who is a vet and I were talking about the cattle rub concept but he warned that the does who rubbed on it who have a strong scent back to their fawns that predators then used to find the fawns. I believe he referenced a study that showed this. Either way it makes sense about the scent betraying the fawns location so I don't think I would choose that method of delivery.
Good point. I was going to do it until I watched the two bucks grooming each other, then I thought "nature finds a way, who am I to screw with it". I'm not as concerned about it as I was but will probably do some research. Thanks for the info.

We used to have lots of problems with ticks. Now we add Ivermectin to our protein pellets at green up for one solid dose till the deer have completely consumed it. Also we have for the past few years been adding an essential oil pac to our feed that includes garlic, oregano oil, cinnamon oil, & red pepper extract. Now it is rare to find ticks on the deer. Deer can survive with a parasitic load but it does compromise health and potential.

Chlortetracycline, CTC, when added to feed also works very well but for some reason it was outlawed for wild animals a couple years ago. Interesting since practically every hog, cow, chicken, goat etc thats been eaten by an American since the 60's has been fed CTC.

Hunter Specialties markets Vita-Rack 26 mineral. It is advertised to kill ticks. I am a believer, although MO is now preventing me from using mineral in one of the Counties I'm in.

Hunter Specialties markets Vita-Rack 26 mineral. It is advertised to kill ticks. I am a believer, although MO is now preventing me from using mineral in one of the Counties I'm in.

My uncle used to be a sales rep for HS.. I remember him promoting the Vita rack 26 in ref to tick reduction. You would think they would really be using that sales pitch if it were so.. You dont hear much about it these days...
No minerals in Mo really sucks... I dont think its necessary for herd health but sure helped for trail cam surveys. Gotta admit I am getting aggravated with MDC. I think they are pissing in the wind with this CWD stuff. Not a dang thing they can do to stop it. It is here to stay.. If you look at the numbers its pretty insignificant IMHO. All this has been said before though.

Seeing those pix makes you wonder if colder weather is actually deer's favorite time of year. I started to feel itchy just seeing those blood suckers all over the deer. What a scourge ticks are !!! Useless critter if there ever was one.

From the house last night I watched a fawn come out of the black berry bush/overgrowth and in the middle of its snout it had three ticks that looked like grapes. I was only 25 yards from the house and I use binocs to confirm. That cannot be good for the fawns health. Besides those I didn't see any others.