Dead trees

John-W-WI

Administrator
I noticed a few dead hybrid populars in my reed canary (still hate that stuff!).

a660bec94d9b9a5547cf8de4602f93c1.jpg

I was surprised, as these trees are probably 5 years old. They are terribly stunted because of the rcg, so what happened?

7f8af9e80d6395f5906bfab2ea2dd69a.jpg

Girdled by a critter!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sometimes we worry about the deer or bears, when it's the littlest critters that do-in our trees. Lost some older apple trees about 7 years ago to voles girdling. I screen 'em all now !!!

That's interesting. I planted some hybrid willows in RCG in Rusk County WI and they didn't seem to do too well - they would grow a couple feet one year and then die off at ground level the next. I assumed they just weren't hardy enough for that location, but maybe the critters got mine too. Wouldn't the hybrid poplars grow back at ground level after being girdled?

In that reed canary, that was likely rabbit damage.

Had same thing happen with some transplanted box elder last winter. You would think the hp would stump sprout.

That's interesting. I planted some hybrid willows in RCG in Rusk County WI and they didn't seem to do too well - they would grow a couple feet one year and then die off at ground level the next. I assumed they just weren't hardy enough for that location, but maybe the critters got mine too. Wouldn't the hybrid poplars grow back at ground level after being girdled?
I'm surprised it didn't stump sprout too. I'm guessing it has something to do with when it was attacked.

There are other trees in this stand that have sprouted, I'll have to look closer to see if I can find a difference.

John

John-I have two hp at the edge of my yard that are about 28 years old. One sends out suckers from the roots, the other one does not. Is there a difference in varieties or do they come in different sexes?

Maybe a dumb question on the sex part??? But I have lots of that type of questions.

John-I have two hp at the edge of my yard that are about 28 years old. One sends out suckers from the roots, the other one does not. Is there a difference in varieties or do they come in different sexes?

Maybe a dumb question on the sex part??? But I have lots of that type of questions.

There are dozens of different clones. None of the clones I sell sucker. So I'm no sure which kind you might have or why it suckers.

Some of the habitat guys would prefer a suckering type. I would like to add a reliable suckering type to my nursery.

I can send you some cuttings.
I thought it might be the soil difference between the 2 locations. The suckering variety is on the lighter soil.

The foresters pointed out that a few of my trees have some pine Beatles at work.
2332f9700323d509cc5141e6f7624bb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk