De-stumping my land

foggy

5 year old buck +
Thought I would show how I hook my Woods Stump Grinder to my tractor. Here is a pic prior to hooking stuff up. I use the 3 point lift, the PTO, two "swing" cylinder hydraulic hoses, and two "elevation" cylinder hoses. photo-39.JPG

I am going to hook the four hydraulic hoses to my loader's "joystick".......and operate the loaders lift cylinders with my Selective Control Valve (SCV).....which is shown in later pics. First tho.....I get all the slack out of the three point links.....and I remove my PATS EZ Change to reduce Slop in the 3 Point. This helps prevent chatter and bounce in the cutter wheel. photo-41.JPG

Here is a pic with my hoses routed over my fender and near to my loader joystick connections. I remover the 4 loader connections as well as my grapple connection.....which is operated by my SCV. Then I lift and lower the loader with the SCV valve to get the tractor planted firmly on the ground when grinding stumps. I use the Joystick controls for elevation and sweep of the stump grinder.......and I use the 3 point to lift the grinder and set it firmly on the ground when grinding. In all.....there are 4 Hydraulic "circuits"photo-42.JPG and a PTO operation to grind stumps. The pic shows the configuration prior to making grinder connections.

Here is the set-up mounted to my JD 3320. I have 25 PTO HP.....and the unit does a pretty good job on my pine stumps. I could wish for more power......but then I always want to go faster. :D photo-43.JPG

I did a "test grind" on a few stumps that are in my parking area.....which I missed on earlier grinding episodes. I have lost count.....but I have ground over 1700 stumps from my land. Most are red pine stumps which were sheared a few inches to a foot higher than the ground. I can grind em to 8" below ground level in a few minutes. I am on my original teeth. :D The Woods unit uses a Sandvik Wheel and Teeth. VERY GOOD. I do not pay any attention to debris or do any shovel work. I just grind em from the tractor seat. :D photo-40.JPG

The chips, soil and debris are all forced AWAY from the operator. Pretty clean job. Grinding does get hard on my neck and back.....as I need to peer over my shoulder when operating. So I can only grind for a few hours at a time these days (bad back issues). I'm going to load-up my tractor and grinder.....and go to my BIL's place to grind a bunch of stumps for him soon. Then I want to put in a few hours to rid myself of about 75 to 100 more stumps this year.

wow, i thought i had a lot of stumps.

how long does it take you to hook it up?

Is that the smallest grinder Woods make? Any idea on the weight of the unit?

Looks good Foggy, I wish I had your setup.

wow, i thought i had a lot of stumps.

how long does it take you to hook it up?
Jason, it takes me about 1/2 hour to hook it up. Mostly I do not have good markers on the hydraulic lines (the tape and markers wears off) .....so I have to spend time to figure out my "plumbing". I need better identification of the lines.

Is that the smallest grinder Woods make? Any idea on the weight of the unit?
Kabic, I imagine the weight is about 600 lbs. Not much different than a cutter or other implements. It is the smallest unit SC25....if my memory serves. They say it only takes 20 PTO HP.....and I suppose it could work pretty well with that size unit.....but I always want more power. :D I bleive I paid about $35 or 3600 for the unit. I did have to add some hoses and fittings.....but had most of the needed hydraulics on my tractor. I don't know of anyone else that uses the loader's Joystick like I did. It works SLICK. :D

Some of the pivot joints on my stump grinder are getting sloppy. I have read that a few other guys have had some issues with this too. Mine was an early model by Woods. Hopefully they have improved these joints on newer models. I am going to have to shim or rebuild my grinder at some point. But then......I am nearing the end of my volume grinding needs.

Loaded up my tractor and stump grinder for a visit to my brother-in-law. Ground about 40 stumps from his plots and trails in about two hours. I wish my trailer was 2 feet longer. :D Road Show.JPG

Starting with hose number one, closest to you when standing there. You put one zip tie on the first hose, 2 zip ties on the second, then 3, then 4. I have it on many implements at home.

Great advice. Im going to do just that. Thanks MO.

What a great setup! Excellent advice on the zipties, Mo.

Foggy, Can you start your PTO without being on the seat?

I know with my JD 1023E there is a way you can start the PTO without being on the seat. I forget the exact sequence but it it something like if your on the seat, select brake and neutral range and pull the rear PTO engagement...when you get off the seat, the tractor will shut off. However, if you select brake, then neutral range and get off the tractor...engaging the rear PTO is allowed once your already off the tractor and will not shut down the tractor allowing the use of rear PTO implements.

Last edited:
Curious how long would it take to grind a 20 inch oak stump. A guess is good.

Cool looking rig.

Jason, it takes me about 1/2 hour to hook it up. Mostly I do not have good markers on the hydraulic lines (the tape and markers wears off) .....so I have to spend time to figure out my "plumbing". I need better identification of the lines.
Try multi colored zip ties.

Oops just saw mos post

Foggy, Can you start your PTO without being on the seat?

I know with my JD 1023E there is a way you can start the PTO without being on the seat. I forget the exact sequence but it it something like if your on the seat, select brake and neutral range and pull the rear PTO engagement...when you get off the seat, the tractor will shut off. However, if you select brake, then neutral range and get off the tractor...engaging the rear PTO is allowed once your already off the tractor and will not shut down the tractor allowing the use of rear PTO implements.

There is a means to run the PTO without being in the seat. I do not remember how to do so.....but I know you can. I stay in the seat when grinding stumps. I operate all functions perfectly while in the seat. I do wear-thin from looking over my shoulder.....but I can do a few hours without much problem.

Bill......oak stumps do take more time than my pines. So much depends on how much is left above ground. However, if you were to cut the stump to 6-8" above ground.....my guess for a fresh oak stump would be about 10-15 minutes. That time would take it to 8" below grade.