Cutting question

NWWI

5 year old buck +
If I start some cuttings in my yard in pots to try and get them off to a good start, how could I store them during winter? I really don't want to plant them at our property in the fall. It would be much better to do it in the spring.

I've started my cutting in pots the last two years now. I got a bunch of 5gal pails for free and drilled holes in the bottom actually. I put 2 to 4 cuttings per pail and they do great in them. I planted some last fall and held some over under the lean to on my shop, covered but outside. The ones I planted last fall got browsed hard but are coming back good this spring. The ones I held over I planted about a month ago but were coming back great. I caged everything this spring. I also planted some last fall around my home, the deer have left those alone and they are showing phenomenal growth this spring. If you get them started now you can safely plant them in the fall just cage them. If you must hold them over just put them in your garage or leave them outside. They'll need to get used to the cold eventually. That's what I've done anyway.
Good Luck.

Last edited:
dsinwi is correct - you can hold them over winter in the cold. Just protect them enough that the wind can't get to them. You don't want wind burn.

-John