Cummins Nursery 2015 Offerings

greyphase

5 year old buck +
Just saw that Cummins have their fruit trees for 2015 listed on their website. Maybe they will be adding more to the list as time goes on, but no Enterprise or Gold Rush on B118 :( which is a surprise. They do list Liberty, Kerr, and a few others on B118. Seems like a lot of cider apples listed as the popularity of making cider rises.

people still buy trees from Nurseries? =)

Just saw that Cummins have their fruit trees for 2015 listed on their website. Maybe they will be adding more to the list as time goes on, but no Enterprise or Gold Rush on B118 :( which is a surprise. They do list Liberty, Kerr, and a few others on B118. Seems like a lot of cider apples listed as the popularity of making cider rises.

Thanks for the FYI !

I spent two evenings this week going through Cummins' list. I plan to start converting a field into an orchard and have room for 80 trees on 20-30ft spacings. I want to have a mix of apples and pears for deer, cider, and perry. I had a big list after the 1st night like I was a kid going through the old Sears christmas catalog. After thinking on it, I went through it again the next night to reduce it. I would love to buy more of their cider and perry varieties now but I think it will be too much work to start out. I talked myself into taking it slower and maybe try grafting to expand the orchard. So I plan to get 13 apples with 8 selected because of cider, 1 pear, 3 perry pear, and 2 sour cherry from Cummins.

people still buy trees from Nurseries? =)

Some people aren't as "enlightened" (crazy) as we are :D.

Maybe I've missed it in the past, but I noticed today that Cummins is offering this year a few apple varieties on antonovka rootstock.

While my northern friends would benefit from the cold hardiness of antonovka, am I right in saying that for apples grown in the south, other than drought resistance, antonovka doesn't offer any benefits as compared to b.118?

Last edited:
Maybe I've missed it in the past, but I noticed today that Cummins is offering this year a few apple varieties on antonovka rootstock.

While my northern friends would benefit from the cold hardiness of antonovka, am I right in saying that for apples grow in the south, other than drought resistance, antonovka doesn't offer any benefits as compared to b.118?

Antonovka will offer a tree slightly larger than B.118, and it will also likely outlive a tree on b.118 roots. It will also likely take longer to fruit, but that obviously is not a benefit.

Nice tip.

I am adding two Liberty and two Wolf River on B118 from Cummins in the spring of '15.

I've read that Antonovka rootstock is also more well-anchored than tree's on B118.

I have no experience w/ Ant. roots, but thinking about trying a few in the spring. If so, Liberty or Freedom..

I have a NW greening, red baron, and dolgo on ant. They have been in the ground for almost 25 years and are hardy.

They survived winters of -40 and probably colder.

Nice, SB. 25 years? Dang.

Any thoughts on fruit production Ant. vs. B118 on a mature tree?

Sounds like Antonovka can bear super heavy once well established.

I put my first B118 in the ground last year. Also planted more ant. this year. I hope I live long enough to see them bear fruit.

Are there any zone hardiness recommendations for B118 rootstock?

I'm looking through the list at Cummins . I have three areas I'm going to plant and was looking at Dolgo crab, Liberty, Honeycrisp and Arkansas black. Was looking at getting 12 trees. Pretty new to this apple planting, and was wanting to plant 4 trees in each spot. One of each type. Any pollination issues, or other issues you guys would see with this?

I have a NW greening, red baron, and dolgo on ant. They have been in the ground for almost 25 years and are hardy.

They survived winters of -40 and probably colder.

I may need to get some red Barron scion from you art next year

Where are you located?

I would suggest; Enterprise, Freedom, Gold Rush, and Wolf River over Honeycrisp for pest/fungus resistence. This is assuming the orchard is for Wildlife and a few apples for you as well.

Make sure to get a few early, mid-season, and late blooming varieties also. That should help with pollination.

Yes, I meant Enterprise not Honeycrisp. Don't know why I wrote that. Been looking at too many apple tree names. LOL.

Are there any zone hardiness recommendations for B118 rootstock?

In Ed's apple tree sticky thread on the other site, Ben mentions B118 surviving -30 at his place on the choosing a rootstock link.

I may need to get some red Barron scion from you art next year
I will try and remember that. My tree is getting old and slowly dying.

In Ed's apple tree sticky thread on the other site, Ben mentions B118 surviving -30 at his place on the choosing a rootstock link.
I hope that it makes -40.