Cummins news

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
A bit of news from Cummins Nursery. I just received an e-mail message - an ad - from them. In it, as part of their description of apples for no-spray, organic, homeowner back yard, and U-pick orchards - they listed the most DR and hassle-free apples. The list is as follows .......

Galarina
Wine Crisp
Pixie Crunch
Enterprise
Liberty
Crimson Topaz
Sundance
Goldrush

I posted this list for any & all apple growers - human consumption or wildlife planters - for an easy RECENT reference. Cummins is well-respected, so I figured I'd post their list. These aren't the ONLY good DR apples to plant - but it's certainly a base from which to start.

I have Liberty, Enterprise planted 20 years ago and Sundance planted last spring. I can vouch for the older ones and am very impressed with Sundance so far. I fight CAR so any verity I use must be DR to CAR to pass muster.

Last edited:
I have Liberty, Enterprise planted 20 years ago and Sundance planted last spring. I can vouch for the older ones and am very impressed with Sundance so far. I fight CAR so any verity I use must be DR to CAR to pass muster.

Is CAR widespread? I've got cedars and apples so I spose its only a matter of time. What methods have worked best for you fighting CAR?

I don’t fight it I just plant CAR resistant verities and hope for the best. I spray nothing so the trees either survive on their own or die. If a verity dies it’s usually just above the graft and the root stock will send up sprouts that will either leave and just use the rootstock apples or top work over to a verity I know can survive my lack of attention.

I’ve found for the pretty heavy CAR infested area I live in that these work

Williams Pride
Liberty
Enterprise
Macintosh
Red Delicious
Redfree
Freedom

These are GTG

Haralson will suffer from CAR but that verity will still set a lot of fruit just look pitiful.
Honey Crisp died
Red Delicious isn’t really bothered by the CAR but they don’t set a lot of fruit and just seem rather pitiful in general I will not plant anymore of them. The Macintosh are good healthy trees lots of fruit but drop time is way to early in zone 6 worth having as long as your aware of the early drop time. I have many other verities of younger trees I planted this past spring in a different location that I’ll be allowing Mother Nature to beta test for me but I’ll reserve my opinions on them for a couple years at least. Although I am impressed with the Sundance’s apparent DR and vigorous growth this past summer. So much so that I ordered two more of them for another planting next spring.

I planted quite a few apple verities the first year I moved down to Kansas and several of them died right out of the gate this was 20 years ago I didn’t keep as good of records on my tree and flower planting as I do now so I can’t say with confidence what other ones died back to the graft.

Good list bows. I have 7 of the 8 in the ground now and more on the way. So far, I have had no disappointments and all are growing well. I guess they know what they are talking about.

I have 7 of the 8 in the ground now and more on the way. So far, I have had no disappointments and all are growing well. I guess they know what they are talking about.
Me too. The only one I don't have is Pixie Crunch. No problems with any of the other varieties. My wife and I went to Cummins' nursery a couple years ago in September, and I liked everything I saw there. We got a tour from one of their employees of the whole place. It's a multi-generational operation with TONS of knowledge there. On that trip, we bought several varieties of apples - for eating - that I planted at camp, just to sample what our own trees would eventually produce. Friendly folks at Cummins.