cuddelink vs spypoint micro

I saw a recent ad for Spypoint Link Micro
$99

For a cell cam, that’s a good deal.

Here is a couple from Cuddelink cell camera.
T_00007.JPGT_00010.JPG

As for Cell cameras I have 5 Cuddelink cameras sending to a Cuddelink Cell, 3 Covert Code Black and 2 Spypoint Link Micro. They all have their positives and negatives. The Cuddeback thread is a lot of pages but if you were to weed out the redundant questions it would probably be like 10 pages. I like my Cuddelinks just because of the amount I can have sending back on 1 inexpensive cell plan and they take a decent enough thumbnail picture. With D cell battery packs I'm pushing 4 months and haven't hit the internals yet so there's 0 battery life issues for me. The Coverts are great cameras. The app is a bit clunky and not as easy to navigate as the Spypoint. I don't have to worry about linking them through terrain and I have very good cell service on my property. With 6v external batteries I put 3 of them in bedding areas and won't have to worry about them until I pull them after season and I get pictures instantly. They are a bit more expensive and I probably would have bought more Cuddebacks but the local Gander Outdoors is closing and everything was 40% off. The Link Micros are a decent camera for the price you pay. The app is easy to use and if your subject is close they take good night pictures. I have found that side by side the Coverts have a better signal and send faster but that might be because they use 2 of the bigger paddle type antennas. I have some coming for the Spypoints to try out. Here are pictures from each camera.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 32
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 35
I saw a recent ad for Spypoint Link Micro
$99

For a cell cam, that’s a good deal.

Yeah, Bass Pro had the trade in days a couple weeks ago and had the Link Micro for $99. I already had one, but bought three more. I plan to just use the free plan for the time being and see if I need to turn up the plan on individual ones.

I had the cuddelink system and ended up selling it. Liked the functionality, but it always seemed like it had quirks that I was messing with. Main issue I had with them was that they were so large and stuck out like a sore thumb, even if you camo’d them. And the batteries didn’t last long, so I either had to change out batteries more frequently (which kinda defeats the purpose) or spend a lot more money on additional equipment to make it last longer. Neat system, just seemed like it would be a continual money pit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The spylink is about as easy and reliable as it gets. My only complaint is the picture quality everything else works flawlessly. For the price its pretty impressive. I've been very frustrated with the Cuddelink system and wouldn't recommend it. I'll leave it at that.

Spypoint micro would make a nice little camera for a driveway, cabin, remote location to check trespassing. Buy the cheap cam, put it up in a somewhat hidden area and the 100 free pics and you would know if anyone is messing with ya...

I am starting to like this little Spypoint more and more. The app is very user friendly and a good way to keep track of pics by date.

I am starting to like this little Spypoint more and more. The app is very user friendly and a good way to keep track of pics by date.
I like mine so far too. You just turn the power on, and it's ready to go. All the settings are done from the app. The picture quality is very acceptable for individual identification purposes.
PICT1568.JPG

The only issue I have is signal strength. My Link Micro has no signal in places my Coverts has a good one. Both are National/AT&T.

The only issue I have is signal strength. My Link Micro has no signal in places my Coverts has a good one. Both are National/AT&T.
How is Verizon service in your area? Spypoint has a Verizon version of the Link-Micro also. I don't use that version. I use the multi-carrier version.

How is Verizon service in your area? Spypoint has a Verizon version of the Link-Micro also. I don't use that version. I use the multi-carrier version.
I tried the Verizon one first and returned it because it wouldn’t get a signal.

If the Spypoint Micro SD card happens to fill up, will it still submit pics to your cell? Can't find that info.. online?

If the Spypoint Micro SD card happens to fill up, will it still submit pics to your cell? Can't find that info.. online?
Yes, and it will replace photos starting from the oldest ones on the card. But, with a 32GB card, you should be able to hold about 15,200 photos.

Yes, and it will replace photos starting from the oldest ones on the card. But, with a 32GB card, you should be able to hold about 15,200 photos.

Somehow we put a card in that had our real estate drone pics and the card is 89% full. I was going to drive up and change it out this week, but you saved me a trip....Thanks!

I tried the Verizon one first and returned it because it wouldn’t get a signal.
Check your firmware from the app. The latest version, V1.09.05, had a cellular network improvement update.

Here are some side by sides from my Covert Code Black and Link Micro. Is the Covert worth the extra coin? Not in my opinion.

Attachments

• 54D93D41-DC87-4944-87A6-62F5F8C63B33.jpeg
    54D93D41-DC87-4944-87A6-62F5F8C63B33.jpeg
    484.7 KB · Views: 56
  • A8656F04-CA4A-42A2-A026-4FEB158E6A48.jpeg
    A8656F04-CA4A-42A2-A026-4FEB158E6A48.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 56
I have both. Very comparable quality.
Night shots (imho) are the true litmus and a very important aspect to consider. The Micro is awesome. 100 free pictures per month even after the free trial is over. Unfortunately, I only have 2, maybe 3 spots around here that will pick up a bar or two of 4g. So Cuddelink was a no brainer for me personally. But I love the size of the Micro, and still at 79% after a couple months on regular Energizer alkalines.

13392422-D7D6-4936-B442-66AF5945F49F.jpeg26FD18BE-8119-4250-B2BC-6E3ADA54845C.jpeg

I have both. Very comparable quality.
Night shots (imho) are the true litmus and a very important aspect to consider. The Micro is awesome. 100 free pictures per month even after the free trial is over. Unfortunately, I only have 2, maybe 3 spots around here that will pick up a bar or two of 4g. So Cuddelink was a no brainer for me personally. But I love the size of the Micro, and still at 79% after a couple months on regular Energizer alkalines.

View attachment 26487View attachment 26488

Good camera, the one negative is the cell reception in certain areas. Just fine in MN, in Iowa I have to put the camera on a ridge top to pick up good signal.

Last edited:
A couple sample pics from my Spypoint Link Micro in Iowa (this week)91743A7B-3B9E-4E58-A159-333F20B84EE4.jpeg1CF4B3CC-F093-4AFB-9190-67E7DB019F5D.jpeg

I have the Link Dark pointing at my camp. I added the external antenna and went from zero bars to two/three bars on the regular. I'm 100% happy with the Spypoint. I work in the IT industry so I'm confident I could make the Cuddelink work. I just want nothing to do with fiddling with settings and managing a network just for deer hunting. I go up there to escape this, not add more to my life.