All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuddelink 2020 GEN 2 version

I have a question on the DBP. I am still running version 7.7.0 because I haven't been back to my farm to update since 8.0 was released. On my report my one camera had been showing ext-1 low for about a week. I thought it would then go to ext-2 but today I saw the camera just disappeared from my report. Both sides of the DBP have rayovac alkaline batteries. The camera in question is a J-3. Should it have gone to ext-2 or will that only happen in version 8.0.

On March 30th it showed ext-1 low for the first time. April 1st was the last day that camera showed up on the report.

I have a question on the DBP. I am still running version 7.7.0 because I haven't been back to my farm to update since 8.0 was released. On my report my one camera had been showing ext-1 low for about a week. I thought it would then go to ext-2 but today I saw the camera just disappeared from my report. Both sides of the DBP have rayovac alkaline batteries. The camera in question is a J-3. Should it have gone to ext-2 or will that only happen in version 8.0.
Jester , 7.9 and or 8.0 firmware should fix your issue , regarding potters/taco junkee's issue- at this time the only way to get your report to show what bank is being used is to remove the internals . If you choose to have internals in a K with a DPB, you will get more life by having internals so they are not obsolete.
if you bought some and arent happy im sure i can get cuddeback to do something to help you out. PM me with where you bought them and how many. Know that if you run a 3358 with a K it also wont show the external and you dont have the option to add solar to a 3358, also #3358 boosters arent $10 unless im reading wrong, they are $24.99 MSRP. Cuddeback is doing some testing with a fix for the K so users can run internals and still get an external reading but its not finished yet.

Jester , 7.9 and or 8.0 firmware should fix your issue , regarding potters/taco junkee's issue- at this time the only way to get your report to show what bank is being used is to remove the internals . If you choose to have internals in a K with a DPB, you will get more life by having internals so they are not obsolete.
if you bought some and arent happy im sure i can get cuddeback to do something to help you out. PM me with where you bought them and how many. Know that if you run a 3358 with a K it also wont show the external and you dont have the option to add solar to a 3358, also #3358 boosters arent $10 unless im reading wrong, they are $24.99 MSRP. Cuddeback is doing some testing with a fix for the K so users can run internals and still get an external reading but its not finished yet.
Thanks for the info John
Another question- can you tell me what may be wrong with a 4D j cam. It was working fine before I updated, I then updated it and the 4 other cams on the system to 8.0 but this one J cam isn’t showing up. When I do link signal strength it’s 76. I tried different ID and different channels. I moved it’s location to where another cam was at and working and yes it’s on remote. It’s taking pics but not sending them to the K or showing up on report

Thanks for the info John
Another question- can you tell me what may be wrong with a 4D j cam. It was working fine before I updated, I then updated it and the 4 other cams on the system to 8.0 but this one J cam isn’t showing up. When I do link signal strength it’s 76. I tried different ID and different channels. I moved it’s location to where another cam was at and working and yes it’s on remote. It’s taking pics but not sending them to the K or showing up on report
Is it the only 4 d J cam you have?
very hard to diagnose via the thread but i would try removing batteries and reinserting them again. I would also confirm the update actually took , it should show 8.0 in commands. Sounds like you know this, but firmware updates require most settings to be reset. i would also give it some time if you havent to make sure gets built in the system. If all that doesnt do it , you may need to send it back. Otherwise we can set up a call with myself or another cudde employee to walk you thru things on the phone.

Is it the only 4 d J cam you have?
very hard to diagnose via the thread but i would try removing batteries and reinserting them again. I would also confirm the update actually took , it should show 8.0 in commands. Sounds like you know this, but firmware updates require most settings to be reset. i would also give it some time if you havent to make sure gets built in the system. If all that doesnt do it , you may need to send it back. Otherwise we can set up a call with myself or another cudde employee to walk you thru things on the phone.
No I have another one that is deployed and works fine. I did remove batteries and did confirm 8.0 is loaded. It’s been 4 days since updated. Ok well it is 4hrs from my house and will be there again in about a month turkey hunting at that time I would like to talk to someone to go over it or send it back

Upgraded all my G cameras and the K to version 8. Had only one camera that kept saying low battery. I made sure the batteries were brand new and I hooked up an ext battery pack with new and it worked. My process

1 Sanddisk 32gb card, formatted & “restored defaults”
2 Copied zip file to card
3 powered on camera with card and followed steps in menu
4 post upgrade did a reset as instructed
5 setup k camera first, with location and channel
6 setup g cameras with location and channel

All cameras online and in portal.

Only issue I have experienced is I get an error when doing an “clear” from the menu screen

Love the new features. Specially like that I can disable the cameras around my foodplot so when I start working things up, I’m not taking tons of pictures.

Justin

I had my system with the new 2.0 deployed here at the house for a couple of weeks with no issues. Didn't put the one camera out as I didn't have a battery bank for it here. It was at camp. Took my whole system down to camp this weekend to setup it up. Had issues with the one camera not showing on the report and not sending pics. I went to it twice and reset it and it still didn't work. Finally on the 3rd trip down I realized that I didn't put the SD card in it. LOL. Sometimes it is a simple solution. When I armed it I never waited a second or two so I missed the "check sd card". The 3rd time I stood there for a few seconds and then saw the message.

Ok. I was just online renaming my cameras for where I have them. (One thing I love about being able to remote access is you can change the name once you start getting pics. Far easier to do online vs on the camera). Anyway I was looking at the options for LED power (on J cameras). There is close, far, and field. I have always had my cameras on far. Anyone have any recommendations for using the other 2 settings?

Ok. I was just online renaming my cameras for where I have them. (One thing I love about being able to remote access is you can change the name once you start getting pics. Far easier to do online vs on the camera). Anyway I was looking at the options for LED power (on J cameras). There is close, far, and field. I have always had my cameras on far. Anyone have any recommendations for using the other 2 settings?
I wondered the same thing. Noticed that on the “far” setting some of my pics at night seemed washed out, like too much flash, so I changed it to ”close” and it seems to have helped the image quality.

As a rule of thumb i always start with "Close". Close generally gives me the best images with the least amount of washouts. An exception would be in a food plot where the camera is not directed towards any kind of treeline or back drop. If thats the case, I start with Far or even Field. The ability to change remotely now allows a user to easily dial in his images to best fit his needs. A ptl mount can really help dial in illumination as well by allowing you to angle the camera correctly.

Last edited:
I setup a new K series camera a couple weeks ago with two Js connected. It has been working beautifully. I wish it would do the ‘take picture’ command faster, but can live with that. I really like this system.

I also have a second network with four cameras connected to a home only unit. Are there any plans to give Gen 2 functionally to networks managed by a non cell camera? Maybe just the time sync? I know there are limitations because it’s not connected to the internet and can’t be managed on the camp website.

I realize there likely is little motivation because there is no monthly fee like with the cell plans, which I’m sure is a nice revenue stream.

Also, I’m running the dual power banks on four cameras.

I was very happy with the battery life and only put the batteries in the dual power bank.

However, I noticed the cameras died very quickly after switching to the backup battery bank. I didn’t save the reports, but got 2.5 - 3 months out of the primary bank and the camera died a few days after switching to the backup battery bank.

Did anyone else have this problem?

I setup a new K series camera a couple weeks ago with two Js connected. It has been working beautifully. I wish it would do the ‘take picture’ command faster, but can live with that. I really like this system.

I also have a second network with four cameras connected to a home only unit. Are there any plans to give Gen 2 functionally to networks managed by a non cell camera? Maybe just the time sync? I know there are limitations because it’s not connected to the internet and can’t be managed on the camp website.

I realize there likely is little motivation because there is no monthly fee like with the cell plans, which I’m sure is a nice revenue stream.
8.0 does add features to non cell networks, increased speed regarding image transmission and image volume capacity via the Cl network(1500 per day max instead of 1000). It also increase's available channels to eliminate neighboring property interference . The other features need a cell connection to manage commands.

Also, I’m running the dual power banks on four cameras.

I was very happy with the battery life and only put the batteries in the dual power bank.

However, I noticed the cameras died very quickly after switching to the backup battery bank. I didn’t save the reports, but got 2.5 - 3 months out of the primary bank and the camera died a few days after switching to the backup battery bank.

Did anyone else have this problem?
what firmware do you have in your cameras, you need 7.9 or 8.0 for the Dual power bank to operate correctly. Also what cameras are you using them on?

You could request the picture close to when the report time is due and set the batch to 1 to get the picture quicker. When I do this I set the report time to 4 times a day so I can change the batch number back to what it was quicker.

what firmware do you have in your cameras, you need 7.9 or 8.0 for the Dual power bank to operate correctly. Also what cameras are you using them on?

I upgraded them to the latest FW (7.7?) when I setup the dual power bank last fall. Were there known issues with it? All are connected to J series cameras.

I just recently upgraded them to 7.9 when I moved cameras around for turkey season. The cameras in my network with the cell K camera are running 8.0.

You could request the picture close to when the report time is due and set the batch to 1 to get the picture quicker. When I do this I set the report time to 4 times a day so I can change the batch number back to what it was quicker.

Thanks for the tip!

I upgraded them to the latest FW (7.7?) when I setup the dual power bank last fall. Were there known issues with it? All are connected to J series cameras.

I just recently upgraded them to 7.9 when I moved cameras around for turkey season. The cameras in my network with the cell K camera are running 8.0.
there was a bug discovered that was fixed in 7.9/8.0 that wasnt allowing the camera to consistently switch banks correctly in the DPB. This only applies to J and G series as of right now.

Batch 1 is not advised when running a network , I personally don't even advise batch 1 when run-in a stand alone cell. It can work but typically it causes issues.

Batch 1 is not advised when running a network , I personally don't even advise batch 1 when run-in a stand alone cell. It can work but typically it causes issues.
That’s why I said switch it back after you get your picture. I have heard what Cuddeback recommends and it really comes down to how many pics you get in a day on your system. If you are getting less than 5 a day like me it will probably work. But I did say change it back.