All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuddeback's Cuddelink

I'd say it's a nuthatch or some other little cavity nester who's checking out that perfect sized "knothole" formed by the lens opening of your camera. The multiple sets of disconnected wings are caused by the rolling shutter effect of the cmos sensor.

Ordered a 3358 for my home J series Camera (no cell). Was going to wait for the dual powerbank, but since the home is right at the cabin I am there enough that I shouldn't need the dual. This will give me the powerbank on it and solar with rechargeables on all the remote cameras. Updated all firmware a month ago, so hoping my battery life is a lot better this year. I have an extra set of rechargeables as well so I can always rotate if the solar doesn't keep up.

On the camera that you have the "Low", do you happen to have one of the first pictures that was taken on it?
If so, look at the meta-data from pictures and see what your BL was. Or post the pic and I will get the data for you.
I have all the pics in my gmail...how do I get the BL?? Clueless how to get to the meta data.

3358 boosters just arrived that have both cords in them, so they are available now. The new version will work with any cuddelink camera including the K series.
Sweet!! It's late to make the change this season but I will certainly be upgrading for next.

Is there an antenna that would extend the range of my remote cameras?

3358 boosters just arrived that have both cords in them, so they are available now. The new version will work with any cuddelink camera including the K series.
Right on schedule my order arrived at the dealer today as well. How do we go about getting cables?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have all the pics in my gmail...how do I get the BL?? Clueless how to get to the meta data.

Type Metadata in the search box for this forum and review threads. Lots of good information to be had from metadata.

The acronym BL will be voltage (mv) at time of picture. The BL of your first picture should tell you approximate starting voltage and last picture last voltage. This might reveal to you if you started off with a lower voltage. Alkalines should start out BL=8500 (8.5v) or higher. Other batteries types should read just a little lower than mfg rated voltage.

Or just post a picture and someone on here will pull it for you.

Last edited:
Right on schedule my order arrived at the dealer today as well. How do we go about getting cables?

once they arrive, which is any day you will be able to get them direct from cuddeback or thru a dealer.

I just bought 4 new J series cameras and they came in yesterday. Should these already be loaded with the most up to date firmware?

Edit: Just checked one of the cameras and it's showing FW Version 7:05:00. Do I need to update them?

Last edited:
I just bought 4 new J series cameras and they came in yesterday. Should these already be loaded with the most up to date firmware?
They are most likely not up to date. It should be the 7.6 version. You can check the firmware by scrolling through the commands on the camera.

What is the benefit of formatting the SD card? I have never done this in all the years I have ran cameras. I run different brands and swamp cards out. I need every card to work in every camera. If I format a card to a cuddeback will it still work in a covert camera?

Over time your SD card will develop bad sectors or blocks that would otherwise be used for storage. You get enough of these bad sectors in the way, the writing and reading of card becomes inefficient and sometimes problematic. Re-formatting (in your camera) basically refreshes where and how memory is stored. Most of the time the bad sectors are there forever. I would at least re-format at end of season.

But, if you never had any problems, keep doing what you doing. I guess the worst is just a SD card failure.

Type Metadata in the search box for this forum and review threads. Lots of good information to be had from metadata.

The acronym BL will be voltage (mv) at time of picture. The BL of your first picture should tell you approximate starting voltage and last picture last voltage. This might reveal to you if you started off with a lower voltage. Alkalines should start out BL=8500 (8.5v) or higher. Other batteries types should read just a little lower than mfg rated voltage.

Or just post a picture and someone on here will pull it for you.

BL=9022. So there was no obvious battery issue at the beginning, is my interpretation. The only thing I can say about this camera is that it is one of the more active ones, comparatively, in the set, and took more night pics. But in an absolute sense compared to other people I don't think this explains this camera going first.

Stuff happens, I'll try to get down there in a couple weeks and switch out all camera batteries and the externals on the transmitter to get through bow season. Based on this life probably one more swap to get through gun season. With the new battery packs coming out this is going to get much simpler next year.

BL=9022. So there was no obvious battery issue at the beginning, is my interpretation. The only thing I can say about this camera is that it is one of the more active ones, comparatively, in the set, and took more night pics. But in an absolute sense compared to other people I don't think this explains this camera going first.

Stuff happens, I'll try to get down there in a couple weeks and switch out all camera batteries and the externals on the transmitter to get through bow season. Based on this life probably one more swap to get through gun season. With the new battery packs coming out this is going to get much simpler next year.

Starting volts look good, what did it show on last pic from that camera?

Is this a G or J? And what brand batteries?

Starting volts look good, what did it show on last pic from that camera?

Is this a G or J? And what brand batteries?

Last pic about 4 days ago BL=6704. J camera, replacement D pack, Duracell alkalines. Same as all the others.

Most active camera currently BL=7854, 131 pics vs 74 on the low one, with 20 additional days (85 vs 65) in the field.

The low camera is the closest to the transmitter with the highest signal (99 today, ~150 yards away). Busiest camera is most distant from the transmitter, and there is another with the poorest signal in between them. Curious if the low camera is serving as a relay, using extra battery. Guess I'll find out if it goes dead before I get out there...

Last pic about 4 days ago BL=6704. J camera, replacement D pack, Duracell alkalines. Same as all the others.

Most active camera currently BL=7854, 131 pics vs 74 on the low one, with 20 additional days (85 vs 65) in the field.

The low camera is the closest to the transmitter with the highest signal (99 today, ~150 yards away). Busiest camera is most distant from the transmitter, and there is another with the poorest signal in between them. Curious if the low camera is serving as a relay, using extra battery. Guess I'll find out if it goes dead before I get out there...
May can tell on your daily report under links. 9v to 6.7 is pretty good span. It just got to 6.7v a little too quick I think. Trying to figure out batteries will drive you to drinking!! 1’m over 60 days on external batteries. 1300+pics on Home camera.

That camera set up with burst?

Last edited:
May can tell on your daily report under links. 9v to 6.7 is pretty good span. It just got to 6.7v a little too quick I think. Trying to figure out batteries will drive you to drinking!! 1’m over 60 days on external batteries. 1300+pics on Home camera.
Not sure how to interpret links. The low camera is always 1 link with high signal. Other cameras, such as the busy camera, often 2 links. Does that mean they are going through another camera such as the low one, running down its battery?

Like I said, I'll be getting the new battery packs for next year, that will take me down to 1 battery change a year maximum.

Not sure how to interpret links. The low camera is always 1 link with high signal. Other cameras, such as the busy camera, often 2 links. Does that mean they are going through another camera such as the low one, running down its battery?

Like I said, I'll be getting the new battery packs for next year, that will take me down to 1 battery change a year maximum.

Not sure. About all you can do is compare it against another set of batteries, swap it out with another cam.

Random question I have several of the old cell units out and haven't reactivated the cell service but cell mode is turned on at the camera. They will still work as a home unit won't they and when I activate them I don't need to physically touch the cam do I?