Cuddeback's Cuddelink

Sorry I didn't know I was doing anything wrong! I though that was what this forum was for......
This thread started out as a review and questions about the system. Somewhere then a rep from Cuddeback entered the picture. Certainly not his thread. I say bring out every question, trouble or review Maybe there are many that are having the same issues and can help not just the rep. My non biased view after following this thread from the beginning so far is that while most people seem to like the system, just about everybody has a problem with various aspects of either the cameras or the way the system works. All except the cuddeback rep of course. Keep bringing issues to the forefront so we can see them folks

This thread started out as a review and questions about the system. Somewhere then a rep from Cuddeback entered the picture. Certainly not his thread. I say bring out every question, trouble or review Maybe there are many that are having the same issues and can help not just the rep. My non biased view after following this thread from the beginning so far is that while most people seem to like the system, just about everybody has a problem with various aspects of either the cameras or the way the system works. All except the cuddeback rep of course. Keep bringing issues to the forefront so we can see them folks
I can simplify this for everyone considering your comment if that is how the majority feel. If anyone has a question feel free to pm me and I’ll do my best to help. I will refrain from commenting on this thread and see how it develops. For the record , I’ve never claimed that there isn’t problems that can and do occur , only that typically there are perceived problems that are caused by other factors that can be corrected easily.

If my opinion matters, please keep commenting John...I don't agree with the previous comments trying to silence you. I feel you have done this forum and many of us users a great service by chiming in from time to time and I doubt I'm alone in that opinion...speak on!

Good job people, we just lost one of, if not the most helpful and knowledgeable person on this forum when it comes to Cuddeback cameras. I'm sorry about that John but there are always a few that can ruin a good thing for everyone, that you for all the time that you have invested here!

Please John stay in the thread. You have been a great help to me and I am sure many others. Your input has been invaluable and part of the reason I bought and enjoy the system is your input.

I joined this thread after reading many many pages of comments. John has always been very helpful and his insight has been great. I would hate to see him go and stop posting. He is an asset to this thread along with many others. But I feel if John does stop posting this thread loses a ton of good info on these cameras, and thats the reason most of us are here, for info on these cameras and this system.

Running off the individual providing the greatest amount of useful information and updates on future developments seems like a REALLY poor decision to me...I joined this site because of the feedback John was providing.

This doesn't sound unbiased to me. People who have zero issues simply don't post. This is a well-known bias liability of reviews. People with issues are 7-9 times more likely to voice them than people who like items. Why post here with questions if everything is working? My frank review after 3 weeks running the system is that I am VERY happy with how easy it was to set up and how it performs. I was concerned that the terrain on my property would make it difficult to maintain signal, but the system has succeeded even with a camera consistently reporting signal in the 16-22 range. The only "issue" I have had was that I inadvertently aimed one of my cameras high. John pointed it out, I subsequently confirmed the issue, and it is user error and not system error. The context he added my showing where the sensor was reading in relation to my photo was enabling in addressing the issue.

The only "concern" I still harbor is how much battery life I'll get out of the J cameras with the D battery pack. To be honest I didn't realize you couldn't hook up the extended battery pack to J cameras when I went that direction, but that's on me. If I expand past my current 6 cameras I may opt for G cameras so I can add the external battery pack in the harder to reach areas.

Thanks for all your input John. Please continue to add to this thread. This is one of the most informative and helpful threads for me in all the habitat forums I frequent.

The only "concern" I still harbor is how much battery life I'll get out of the J cameras with the D battery pack. To be honest I didn't realize you couldn't hook up the extended battery pack to J cameras when I went that direction, but that's on me. If I expand past my current 6 cameras I may opt for G cameras so I can add the external battery pack in the harder to reach areas.

You can probably expect at least 90 days on the D battery pack. John did say Cuddeback is coming out with an adapter cord for the J series cams so it can run the 3358 external battery pack just like the G series. It would at least double the life to 180 days or more.

I have one J camera that is only lasting 10-15 days on regular name brand batteries. Put in some Harbor Freight generics and it only lasted 4 days. That seems exceptionally bad. It is acting as the relay for another camera. Level is around 60.

Any word on the progress of the usb connection for the home camera to automatically upload pics

No john.....I completely understand your position! I wasn't being sarcastic when I apologized I truly meant it. You have been invaluable to this forum and have helped me a great deal over the past year. You do this as a favor to us not as your job and would love it if you continued to do so....

I did not mean to start anything by my post....just asking a question and understand if the possible solution should be handled by Cuddeback CS

You can probably expect at least 90 days on the D battery pack. John did say Cuddeback is coming out with an adapter cord for the J series cams so it can run the 3358 external battery pack just like the G series. It would at least double the life to 180 days or more.
He IM'd me this info... :)

I sure hate to see that John has been run off. This thread and his insight is the reason I joined this forum. He has been nothing but helpful to me and is an invaluable resource to Cuddelink users. Cant have anything nice without somebody ruining it.

My high gain antennas showed up today. Going to install on my lunch break tomorrow. I'll give an update on them once I see how they do.

With help from John, I was able to get my first CL camera's out. Setting it up was fairly easy if you have experience with previous cuddeback camera's. I would say without previous experience it wouldn't be too complicated either. I was worried about cell service as my property splits the red and white on Verizon's cell coverage map. First test failed. Second test was successful, tried a third test just to be sure and it was successful as well. I attempted to put a remote camera on a mineral site but the signal strength was from 6-14. This site is approximately 400 yards and a lower elevation of 240ft through dense woods, so I would have been very surprised if it would have worked. I opted for a different mineral site on the property which is approximately 250 yards and a lower elevation of 110ft through dense woods. The signal strength on this site was 54. I know battery life won't be great on them (model K & G) while they're on supplemental feed sites but will report back if anyone is interested. Once the dual power banks come out I will deploy 4 more G series cameras and supply them with all with the new power bank. Thanks again for all your help, John.

As a member that just signed up this week (been lurking for a while), I'm sorry to see that this forum has the same problem as most other forums. Some self-serving individuals who expect perfection in everything (from everyone else) ruins a valuable exchange of ideas. This WAS by far the most enlightening discussion of Cuddelink that I've ever come across. John was exactly correct. Complicated individual issues should be handled through PM or direct contact. It's more efficient and less likely to distribute erroneous information to the masses. Once a satisfactory resolution to the issue has been identified, then everyone SHOULD be made aware of it on the forum. Instead, a few have to jump in and chase away a valuable asset that few products offer. John, thank you for your valuable assistance. I've been running Cuddelink ever since it first became available to the public. I knew going in that it wasn't perfect. Few things are. It does provide a result, for me, that no other system does. I look forward to the future improvements. Hopefully, I can also look forward to further input from you, John, on this thread. It is greatly appreciated.

I have one J camera that is only lasting 10-15 days on regular name brand batteries. Put in some Harbor Freight generics and it only lasted 4 days. That seems exceptionally bad. It is acting as the relay for another camera. Level is around 60.
Honestly if I was running these cameras on AA's I wouldn't use anything other than Energizer lithiums or rechargeable batteries with a solar panel. Alkalines won't be able to provide enough long term power imo. You also have to factor in how many pics the camera is transmitting from other cameras it's linked too. Every pic the camera captures, transmits, and receives uses battery power.

Honestly if I was running these cameras on AA's I wouldn't use anything other than Energizer lithiums or rechargeable batteries with a solar panel. Alkalines won't be able to provide enough long term power imo. You also have to factor in how many pics the camera is transmitting from other cameras it's linked too. Every pic the camera captures, transmits, and receives uses battery power.

I've tried the energizers. 10-15 days. I will try updating the firmware and maybe moving the camera. These cameras are a handful of pictures per day tops so it isn't a high volume issue. Maybe just something goofy on this one. Regardless of this one camera, I'm still a fan.

When I had J series I could get about 20 days out of cheap AA, double that with lithium. Only doubling the life didn't justify the price difference between the 2 batteries. Rechargeable batteries and solar panels worked great if the cameras were in direct sunlight most of the day like field edges or the woods when the leaves were down. Once there was a good canopy of green the cameras with solar panels only lasted around 10-12 days. This was before the D cell battery packs came out for the J series and the main reason I switched to the G cameras.