Cuddeback's Cuddelink

Everybody should test ALL batteries before putting them in a camera and test the camera before deploying it in the field. It's going to save you some headaches and time.

Everybody should test ALL batteries before putting them in a camera and test the camera before deploying it in the field. It's going to save you some headaches and time.
You are right on about that! I test every single battery. With rechargables, I fully charge them right before deploying them in the field and ensure there is full sunlight for the solar panel. Be sure to tip the panel as well to get optimal sunlight for it.

I do like to go through the larger quantity of pics when I pull cards. Sometimes it is the 3rd or 4th pic in the burst that gives the best view of the buck, or other subject. A lot can pass by in 5 secs also. Not that I don’t miss things with the 15 sec delay, so probably no difference there. Not sure if the 15 secs start when the trigger occurs, or after the last pic in burst completes?
I had over 7000 pics in the first month on my mineral lick, with burst of 5 on. If only the first is sent to the home, then around 1400 pics to the home. 2500 or so pics on the home from all cams in the first month. If I would have had more triggers, that count would probably be up quite a bit. I did pay the overage last month. Not that $5-$10 dollars is a major issue, but not sure how many overages you pay if you send too many pics.
I do like the idea of saving battery if that would be significant. My property is 3 hours away, so when batteries die it can be days or even weeks before I can get there to change them. Also when changing settings, if I’m not happy with them it can again be weeks before I can get there to change them again. A lot to think about. All part of being a trail cam junkie I guess :).
I’m including this mornings report as well, in case it shows something you may see that could be addressed.

4e96c966d0d59f2726c1de7722a59f36.jpg
I am told it is an insignificant amount.

I do like to go through the larger quantity of pics when I pull cards. Sometimes it is the 3rd or 4th pic in the burst that gives the best view of the buck, or other subject. A lot can pass by in 5 secs also. Not that I don’t miss things with the 15 sec delay, so probably no difference there. Not sure if the 15 secs start when the trigger occurs, or after the last pic in burst completes?
I had over 7000 pics in the first month on my mineral lick, with burst of 5 on. If only the first is sent to the home, then around 1400 pics to the home. 2500 or so pics on the home from all cams in the first month. If I would have had more triggers, that count would probably be up quite a bit. I did pay the overage last month. Not that $5-$10 dollars is a major issue, but not sure how many overages you pay if you send too many pics.
I do like the idea of saving battery if that would be significant. My property is 3 hours away, so when batteries die it can be days or even weeks before I can get there to change them. Also when changing settings, if I’m not happy with them it can again be weeks before I can get there to change them again. A lot to think about. All part of being a trail cam junkie I guess :).
I’m including this mornings report as well, in case it shows something you may see that could be addressed.

4e96c966d0d59f2726c1de7722a59f36.jpg

Wow, that’s an insane amount of pictures! What kind of power are you using?

What are you testing batteries with? Is it okay to use old batteries that have already been in the camera with a new set of batteries if they test good?

What are you testing batteries with? Is it okay to use old batteries that have already been in the camera with a new set of batteries if they test good?

Buy a cheap one that has a DC voltage reading and also a battery test function. If I change one battery I change them all. One bad battery and they’re done. They say don’t mix them, but have done it too many times to count. I use old batteries in flashlights, bait aereator, toys and such.

I have 10 J-1422 with the D battery packs. I also have solar panels for all the cameras, solar did not perform up to expectations, and I really need A LOT more battery life for this system to be worth the money I’ve invested. ( 3-4 times in to change batteries last year blew my mind, Cuddeback customer service does not seam to understand how this completely defeats the purpose of the system or why I’m upset wasting more and more money,buying upgrades, that didn’t work as advertised) Will the 3358 work plugged into my j-1422 d pack? Or does anyone have an aftermarket battery pack solution? I can’t sit on thousands of dollars in equipment waiting another hunting season for Cuddeback to come up with a solution? Thanks!

I have quite a few J cameras too. Last year I got about 90 days with the D battery pack. This year I am adding the 3358 D booster battery pack. I made my own cables and with some slight modification to the rear battery port I was able to seat the J cameras into the booster pack. I have a post showing this. I only did this because I needed to get the cams out now and couldn't wait for the cuddeback cable. There is also the dual bank coming out that will substantially increase battery life. You can also check out custom1enterprises for some battery solutions. Believe me, it is in Cuddeback's best interest to find a solution to the battery consumption issue.

I only use batteries with the voltage within .01v of each other. This is the multimeter I use. I also don't mix batteries with different dates or mix different brands together.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190726-214454.png
    Screenshot_20190726-214454.png
    763.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
This is the one I use. Inexpensive and does a fine job testing batteries including the full circuit of the 3358 D booster. I don’t mix brands either. I’ve been sticking with the Rayovacs and have had good luck with them. Haven’t found a bad battery yet. But probably will now that I said that!

Attachments

• 0664F4FD-68B3-4D00-AAB9-D6A55AE24515.png
    0664F4FD-68B3-4D00-AAB9-D6A55AE24515.png
    745.2 KB · Views: 31
There are several ways out there to get longer life out of your cameras. These HME solar chargers with 12v batteries can be easily modified to work with Cuddeback J, G and K cameras. The board has a 12v regulator soldered in that can be removed and a $1.00 9v regulator can be soldered in. A less than $1.00 4.0x1.7 plug adaptor gets you up and running. You will get as long or longer life than the D cell battery pack and can either keep recharging the battery in it or keep spares charged to quickly sway out. If you're in a place without sunlight just fold down the solar panel. These can also be made with plastic ammo cans cheaply with or without solar panels.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    784.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    603.1 KB · Views: 52
There are several ways out there to get longer life out of your cameras. These HME solar chargers with 12v batteries can be easily modified to work with Cuddeback J, G and K cameras. The board has a 12v regulator soldered in that can be removed and a $1.00 9v regulator can be soldered in. A less than $1.00 4.0x1.7 plug adaptor gets you up and running. You will get as long or longer life than the D cell battery pack and can either keep recharging the battery in it or keep spares charged to quickly sway out. If you're in a place without sunlight just fold down the solar panel. These can also be made with plastic ammo cans cheaply with or without solar panels.

What kind of pic count are you getting?

What kind of pic count are you getting?
I stopped using these setups last year when I sold all my J series and went to the G series but was getting around 3 months before I’d switch out the 12v battery.

Can someone tell me what the difference in these 3 batteries are? If I’m gonna spend $100 in batteries I want to make sure to get the right ones. 05599E1B-ED6A-4EAB-94B6-0F7D08993C00.png10B09320-9081-4659-B987-568EBC879909.png49554F4C-1BA1-4989-A0B2-AB1795774E58.png

Rayovac high energy are good batteries. You can find a better deal on eBay though. I purchased 105 for $67 shipped. The date was good on them too....it was 2028. I tested them all and there were no duds.

Made it to day 100 and still running on the external D cells. Pretty happy about this.

Attachments

• 3294E53C-7C95-4768-8895-4103A53A5D62.jpeg
    3294E53C-7C95-4768-8895-4103A53A5D62.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 32
Made it to day 100 and still running on the external D cells. Pretty happy about this.
That's nice. What cam is the G-1?

That cam is probably going to be my next purchase.
I have 3 and 1 dual flash. I’ll probably switch that one to a strobe also. They’re my favorites.

Attachments

• 86E8CB62-FE0E-4350-B70D-2AE733B3AD87.jpeg
    86E8CB62-FE0E-4350-B70D-2AE733B3AD87.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 5660163F-95F6-4C4B-A752-E9E3AF6A9527.jpeg
    5660163F-95F6-4C4B-A752-E9E3AF6A9527.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 52
  • FE2D070F-92E7-4B51-9FF8-B9C44DA9C835.jpeg
    FE2D070F-92E7-4B51-9FF8-B9C44DA9C835.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 49
Double barrel strobe. I like color night pictures.
I like the color night pictures too. I'd like to see the J series with the white flash option for that reason. I believe they would use more battery life
but the night pictures quality is much better.