Cuddeback Extended Antenna

Papahunt

Buck Fawn
I have a Cuddeback G series cell camera that I am trying to get setup in the Colorado mountains. I have an area on my property where I get two bars on my Verizon iphone where I can call, facetime, and access the web. My Cuddeback connects successfully at my house, but will not connect at my property. I was able to successfully connect at another location near my property so that gave me an indication its possible with an improved signal.

My question is...there are two antenna on the Cuddeback. I am considering an extended antenna(s) that I will mount on a 16'+ pole. Do I need two separate antennas or will single antenna work with a jumper wire? Here is the one I am considering that has two connections. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NCG9CQB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks!

I have a Cuddeback G series cell camera that I am trying to get setup in the Colorado mountains. I have an area on my property where I get two bars on my Verizon iphone where I can call, facetime, and access the web. My Cuddeback connects successfully at my house, but will not connect at my property. I was able to successfully connect at another location near my property so that gave me an indication its possible with an improved signal.

My question is...there are two antenna on the Cuddeback. I am considering an extended antenna(s) that I will mount on a 16'+ pole. Do I need two separate antennas or will single antenna work with a jumper wire? Here is the one I am considering that has two connections. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NCG9CQB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks!
If it were me I would use the antennas that came with the camera and buy an extension cable. I wouldn’t go too long with the cable. Maybe 20 25’. Not 100% without relooking it up but I think it’s an B connector. On my home bases I place them up above one of my tree stands to get better signal.

Just experimented some. Put a "Full Wave" rubber duckie on a distant J. Did nothing good or bad to link level.

Placed a remote antenna on my worst link problem child and more than doubled the link, from 25 to 60 average. Mounted to tree only 4ft above cam. Will drag ladder section out and put it higher next trip.
10ft cord with correct connector and cheap. Plan to carry some shrink wrap connector. No expert, but getting pics where I've had problems linking over a rise. Still 2 links, but linked.

BTW, I attribute the gain in just getting the antenna higher. This setup allowed camera to stay at thigh height.
They call it a 4G LTE antenna because it's half wave for 1800Mhz used by some cells, but also acts as full wave for @915 that link uses.
The rubber duckie may be half wave, where standard factory is quarter wave, not sure.

BTW, I attribute the gain in just getting the antenna higher. This setup allowed camera to stay at thigh height.
They call it a 4G LTE antenna because it's half wave for 1800Mhz used by some cells, but also acts as full wave for @915 that link uses.
The rubber duckie may be half wave, where standard factory is quarter wave, not sure.
Are you saying that antenna works with the RF 900 mhz signal better from camera to camera, I don’t know what full , half or quarter is but the Cuddelink RF rubber duck I think is a 3 dBI that one you used is 7 dBi that’s more then double the output

Are you saying that antenna works with the RF 900 mhz signal better from camera to camera, I don’t know what full , half or quarter is but the Cuddelink RF rubber duck I think is a 3 dBI that one you used is 7 dBi that’s more then double the output
Yes, the antenna cable connector matches camera, and in my case mounting the antenna at arms reach above camera doubled the link level. I've read some blogs that call out most claimed dBi gains as bull, based on technical this and that. I attribute my gain on just elevating antenna. For whatever the reason, I got an iffy camera linked in steady and sending pics.

Yes, the antenna cable connector matches camera, and in my case mounting the antenna at arms reach above camera doubled the link level. I've read some blogs that call out most claimed dBi gains as bull, based on technical this and that. I attribute my gain on just elevating antenna. For whatever the reason, I got an iffy camera linked in steady and sending pics.
If I understand dBI going from stock 3dBi to 7 dBi you narrow the 360 degree pattern but overall double the distance and by raising it you taken it off the ground somewhat, but with the 10 ft cable attached the 7 dBi is decreased , I would think a 7 dBi rubber duck would work better and no cord to mess with. Have you tried that ? And mountings the camera on a post mount instead of a tree

If I understand dBI going from stock 3dBi to 7 dBi you narrow the 360 degree pattern but overall double the distance and by raising it you taken it off the ground somewhat, but with the 10 ft cable attached the 7 dBi is decreased , I would think a 7 dBi rubber duck would work better and no cord to mess with. Have you tried that ? And mountings the camera on a post mount instead of a tree
Yes, with this particular cam location, it has to link through another J, and line-of-sight is problem. They are less than 200yds apart through mature woods, but a slight rise in between. Debating cost of repeater(s), since spring and leaves may add challenges. Have several locations in 30-40 link levels. It was late fall when I got first cams. Hunting 100 acres of hilly, 12 year old cut-overs. It will only get worse. Home cam already on a 12' pole, mounted on top of 16' platform stand on open ridge top.

I found some pictures of dBi differences you may like , the vertical angle of the antenna is at makes a big difference

Attachments

• 6FE66DB5-4291-42C9-876E-50C33311C0D6.png
    6FE66DB5-4291-42C9-876E-50C33311C0D6.png
    344.1 KB · Views: 11
  • EE056F32-19EB-404C-BD36-CBC1235E0417.png
    EE056F32-19EB-404C-BD36-CBC1235E0417.png
    464.8 KB · Views: 11
Hmm, looking at those pics, the higher gain will work fine with a remote camera where the antenna can be set (tilted) such that the home unit or linking camera is perpendicular to it. Kind of directional and aimed. The home unit way up in the air had better remain low gain and closer to 360° coverage. That is a rather dramatic drop with even 5dbi. Good to know.