CRP field windbreak

This is our .79 acre 5 row field windbreak in Iowa. Completed on Friday and then a 1/2 inch of rain that night …. Perfect timing !FCBBF5F9-BD4B-405A-A910-337C30637C32.jpegFE3A2AA9-114A-49A4-8255-71200F44A6AC.jpeg

Last edited:
They would not allow CRP field windbreak?
I wasn't looking into CRP for this. I probably should have looked into both, but the $$ figure for out of pocket was pretty reasonable based off the write up I got then. Apparently things changed pretty drastically in one years time

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Boy it would be fun to plant trees in an open field like that. I feel like I battle 100 years worth of tree roots with every dig I make. Be interesting to see if you need to eventually add a second post for your scotch pines. I think they will leave the BHS alone just the way you have it. Them pines might eventually smell too sweet for a testosterone filled buck.

Boy it would be fun to plant trees in an open field like that. I feel like I battle 100 years worth of tree roots with every dig I make. Be interesting to see if you need to eventually add a second post for your scotch pines. I think they will leave the BHS alone just the way you have it. Them pines might eventually smell too sweet for a testosterone filled buck.
Buck… I switched to Black Hills Spruce. Scotch Pine was noted as disease issues in Iowa, and I think they would get rubbed bad by the bucks in the future.

I planted 4 or 5 just to test it out !

It looks like I may get approved for another 1.36 acres of field windbreak in Iowa. Im looking at 4 rows, maybe 5 .

Here are recent photos of the progress on the other windbreak .01C719D5-F938-422B-869A-CF2800DC6A7B.jpeg753523C4-E366-4474-8C17-EF3BAA10E75A.jpeg57AEA13F-A9FF-454F-B2BE-B74274374761.jpeg

^^^

Crabapples and common wild apples sure go like hell if you get them in the sun and do a good job of killing the grass and weed competition around them. Almost all of my red splendor crabs planted in the spring of 2022 are well out of the 5ft tube. Most are 6-7 feet tall already. I have one common wild apple that receives sun full planted in spring of 2022 and its about 9-10 feet tall already and HUGE for its age. I got them out of U of Idaho as little 20 cubic inch plugs. I'm probably just gonna let that tree go and see what it does.

This will be 2 years old in late April of this year. 5 foot tube and cage.

IMG_7245.JPEG

Last edited:
That's some great growth. I had issues with mice building houses inside those tubes and girdling the trees, so I quit using tree tubes. It is impressive how well they work in other areas though.

That CRP windbreak program sounds pretty good. Did they have a list of allowable trees/shrubs you can plant or could you plant whatever you want?

That CRP windbreak program sounds pretty good. Did they have a list of allowable trees/shrubs you can plant or could you plant whatever you want?
You have to work with NRCS on the trees. You can pick from a list.

I usually do
2row of Spruce/Pine
1 row of oak/hardwoods
1 row of shrubs/crabapple

Might add another row of …..? If they allow me ? Still thinking on that .

You have to work with NRCS on the trees. You can pick from a list.

I usually do
2row of Spruce/Pine
1 row of oak/hardwoods
1 row of shrubs/crabapple

Might add another row of …..? If they allow me ? Still thinking on that .
Osage Orange. 😊

That's some great growth. I had issues with mice building houses inside those tubes and girdling the trees, so I quit using tree tubes. It is impressive how well they work in other areas though.

I put pea rock around the base of mine and mulch around that on really important trees like this one. I'm more worried about bears than anything. Still not quite sure how I will battle them. Just kinda getting a slow start on this apple journey.

I put pea rock around the base of mine and mulch around that on really important trees like this one. I'm more worried about bears than anything. Still not quite sure how I will battle them. Just kinda getting a slow start on this apple journey.
Bears are really tough on my apple trees, but the trees survive.

I don’t prune my nw Wisconsin apple trees much since you will want some extra branches on the trees when bears rip half the tree off. I also stick with standard rootstock trees so you have the biggest tree possible.

It is also a numbers game. Plant more trees than you need so you have more trees than the bears

It looks like I may get approved for another 1.36 acres of field windbreak in Iowa. Im looking at 4 rows, maybe 5 .

Here are recent photos of the progress on the other windbreak .View attachment 62086View attachment 62087View attachment 62088
Those look great, I'm going to place a call for possible windbreaks along my road frontage. I messed around with miscanthus but I don't think that'll ever get the height I need there.