CRP field windbreak

bwoods11

5 year old buck +
I am putting in 120 trees (5 rows) in Iowa through the CRP program (field windbreak). Spruce, Pine, Oak, Plum and Crabapple. The payment is great for 15 years and the laughable part is the cost share is almost $5000 to plant the trees on one acre--basically paying me to plant the trees and then some--with tube/weed mat, the whole 9 yards! I would encourage anyone that has some crop land that is in need of a screen, travel corridor or whatever to look into this program.

Too good to pass up!

You can also plant a riparian buffer on former pasture ground… that borders a creek, stream, or river.

Has anyone in Wisconsin been able to get into this specific CRP 5a program or something similar? Called my FSA office today. They are looking into it for me.

You should be able to enroll in Wisconsin! Be pushy though, some of the local FSA/NRCS employees do not use that CRP option very often.

You should be able to enroll in Wisconsin! Be pushy though, some of the local FSA/NRCS employees do not use that CRP option very often.
What is their reason not to use it or offer it I wonder? I am planning on doing tree rows anyhow, might as well get in the program if I can!

What is their reason not to use it or offer it I wonder? I am planning on doing tree rows anyhow, might as well get in the program if I can!
I think it varies by county. It seems to be more of a high priority in windy agriculture counties? We have done many in Minnesota!

Outside edge of a spruce & cedar windbreak.
0905DDF8-1F0C-446E-9BA6-9B3AF37AF759.jpeg

E1944D34-9C53-4E4C-A345-C6DF7399F8D1.jpeg410B3544-9156-4DA6-9C4F-E750236180B6.jpeg
We have shot a lot of pheasants in these windbreaks and a few deer. This was all bare sandy soil farm ground. It’s been a big change . I think we planted 40,000 trees total . …In Minnesota.

View attachment 42512View attachment 42513
We have shot a lot of pheasants in these windbreaks and a few deer. This was all bare sandy soil farm ground. It’s been a big change . I think we planted 40,000 trees total . …In Minnesota.

It just amazes me how the feds on WPAs and the state on WMA’s loves to rip out these trees. Then other government programs pay land owners to plant them. What a mixed up world we are in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It just amazes me how the feds on WPAs and the state on WMA’s loves to rip out these trees. Then other government programs pay land owners to plant them. What a mixed up world we are in!

Not only that Art... this parcel was bought for less than $1000 an acre back in the early 2000. We put in all the trees, native grasses, weed mat, tubes! The USFW built shallow ponds, and built a dam on a flowing creek. When I added it up they paid us more in cost share than we paid for the farm. They could have bought it and then made it public hunting! Makes a guy shake his head!

Oh well, their loss!

It's the Federal Government! Some of the reasoning is sound, some is a stretch. The whole idea is to take highly erodible crop land out of production. So, there's the issue of how to define highly erodible land. That's rather much a NRCS determination. Some states have water erosion as a high priority. Others have both water and wind. Here in Virginia wind is not a factor - by definition. So, no CP5s. There are 21-states with acreage enrolled in CP5. Five states, NE, SD, MN, IA, & ND account for 85% of all the enrolled acreage in the United States. Wisconsin has only 106 acres.
Where I've seen it most used (in Nebraska) is in the corners of sections (?) where center pivot irrigation is in place.

By the way, these are 2020 numbers. NRCS determines if enrollment addresses a conservation concern, make of it what you will.
After all of that, the land being considered needs to have cropping history. That is, acreage that has been reported planted to FSA in 4 of 6 years between 2008 & 2013 (go figure that range).

If you meet that requirement you need to meet other farm programs eligibility like owning and/or controlling the land for the duration of the contract (and several others). You would be responsible for any required maintenance out of your pocket and should you violate any of the contract terms you may be required to repay the establish incentive and the rental payments plus interest.

If you want to dig deep go here for acreage by practice by state and county:
https://www.fsa.usda.gov/programs-a...conservation-reserve-program-statistics/index

Look at the bottom of the page.

It's the Federal Government! Some of the reasoning is sound, some is a stretch. The whole idea is to take highly erodible crop land out of production. So, there's the issue of how to define highly erodible land. That's rather much a NRCS determination. Some states have water erosion as a high priority. Others have both water and wind. Here in Virginia wind is not a factor - by definition. So, no CP5s. There are 21-states with acreage enrolled in CP5. Five states, NE, SD, MN, IA, & ND account for 85% of all the enrolled acreage in the United States. Wisconsin has only 106 acres.
Where I've seen it most used (in Nebraska) is in the corners of sections (?) where center pivot irrigation is in place.

By the way, these are 2020 numbers. NRCS determines if enrollment addresses a conservation concern, make of it what you will.
After all of that, the land being considered needs to have cropping history. That is, acreage that has been reported planted to FSA in 4 of 6 years between 2008 & 2013 (go figure that range).

If you meet that requirement you need to meet other farm programs eligibility like owning and/or controlling the land for the duration of the contract (and several others). You would be responsible for any required maintenance out of your pocket and should you violate any of the contract terms you may be required to repay the establish incentive and the rental payments plus interest.

If you want to dig deep go here for acreage by practice by state and county:
https://www.fsa.usda.gov/programs-a...conservation-reserve-program-statistics/index

Look at the bottom of the page.
Thanks for that link! Interesting Stats on the CP5 enrollment acres by state. My acreage is highly erodible land so they couldn't deny it because of that. Also, good to know WI does have a few acres enrolled in this CP5 so they can't use the excuse WI doesn't offer it. I am already enrolled in CREP and EQIP on this land.

I would say it is uaually they don't want to get up from behind the desk.Some have been great others can't even even answer a question.I did the riparian buffer on some of mine and it was tree rows then shrubs and then grass strip.I had great survival on trees and shrubs and it made alot of cover.That plan expired and they didn't offer a renewal.It's great you can get the higher rate

By me they are lazy they get paid the same no matter if they do 1 or 100

I am putting in 120 trees (5 rows) in Iowa through the CRP program (field windbreak). Spruce, Pine, Oak, Plum and Crabapple. The payment is great for 15 years and the laughable part is the cost share is almost $5000 to plant the trees on one acre--basically paying me to plant the trees and then some--with tube/weed mat, the whole 9 yards! I would encourage anyone that has some crop land that is in need of a screen, travel corridor or whatever to look into this program.

Too good to pass up!
I tried getting into a shelter belt program in EQIP. Was told out of pocket would be like 2300 for one of the two projects after cost share for a long screen. 4 rows at like 1.5 miles. Well, got the expected cost exceeded 19k. No way in hell I'm taking crop land out of production especially when it comes at that cost. Cost share went from 85% to 34% in one years time. It's on MIL land, so I am looking like the bad guy on this one!

I tried getting into a shelter belt program in EQIP. Was told out of pocket would be like 2300 for one of the two projects after cost share for a long screen. 4 rows at like 1.5 miles. Well, got the expected cost exceeded 19k. No way in hell I'm taking crop land out of production especially when it comes at that cost. Cost share went from 85% to 34% in one years time. It's on MIL land, so I am looking like the bad guy on this one!
They would not allow CRP field windbreak?

Gov't allows farmers to drain marshland and subsidize costs. Then they pay the farmer excessive $$/acre to stop farming land and cap all drainage dikes to convert the land back to a marsh.

Last edited:
Back in the late 1990s, stream that forms the eastern boundary of our farm was part of a 'targeted watershed', and eligible for 30, 60, or 100 ft setbacks from top of creekbank as a riparian bufferstrip. At the time, the political climate suggested that the Feds might be mandating that you move fences back or stop cropping all the way to the creekbank... and they were paying #132.00/acre/year for 10 years. I needed/wanted a place to plant some more nut trees, so I signed a 100 ft strip in, running most of the length of the farm, totaling about 7 acres.
The kids and I planted about 500 2-yr old northern pecan, shellbark hickory, and black walnut seedlings, all with improved parentage behind them, at 20 ft spacings in the row, 30 ft between rows. I'd intended to come back and topwork every-other tree to named variety cultivars, then remove the ungrafted trees when canopies crowded... but mostly didn't get that done, though I do have one section that is all grafted over to superior hickory clones.
BWs have been bearing nuts for over 10 years now - none as good as the parent strains, and some of the pecans & hickories are now in production. One 'Fayette' shellbark seedling may be the new, most desirable selection to come along in a while.

Have mixed in some low-tannin oaks, chestnuts, and pears along the way, around 3 areas that I left unplanted for use as wildlife foodplots.

Gov't allows farmers to drain marshland and subsidize costs. Then they pay the farmer excessive $$/acre to start farming land and cap all drainage dikes to convert the land back to a marsh.

You see the same things I see.

Are you seeing actual wetlands be drained? Here you can't add any new tile to wetlands. All you can do is replace what is already in it. If there's no tile in it, then you can do nothing.