CROSSBOW CRABAPPLE TREE

Got some more updates...all the trees are now leafed out to some degree and even got buds on several (winter gold, drop tine and the BHN liberties). Also note the rye/clover that has just exploded after a weekend of rain and warmer temps. Interestingly enough, the deer usage has gone down significantly as the ag around me ramps up (big fields of oats/alfalfa nearby are getting hit hard). That's ok with me, as I can stockpile and get some good growth before mowing later in the spring.

30-06
IMG_6258[1].JPG
Drop Tine
IMG_6256[1].JPG
Winter Gold
IMG_6272[1].JPG
Little Midwest Crab from Cold Stream that was planted 1.5 weeks ago leafing out well...
IMG_6282[1].JPG

It is amazing what a little warm weather and rain will do for a young tree. They look great.

It is amazing what a little warm weather and rain will do for a young tree. They look great.
I actually had to weed whack the rye and clover around the trees that are farther into my plot, as they were starting to block some sun....as I was doing this near a tree that's in the middle of my "orchard", a fawn sprung up and darted about 5 feet and laid down again...it was so thick with the clover and rye that I couldn't see it...I can't believe it held tight that long with a weed whacker running full bore 4 feet from it...

Last edited:
Had to update on those Winter Gold trees...they are huge and growing bigger...both are outside the top of the 5' cages and adding height and vegetative growth (and I haven't fertilized yet!)
Was a bit worried as they were a slow starter but man have they shot up fast!
IMG_6561[1].JPG
IMG_6560[1].JPG

Looking good! What are you using for tree tag stock that’s zip tied onto cage?

Looking good! What are you using for tree tag stock that’s zip tied onto cage?
its flashing from the hardware store...I get 2 tags for 40 cents by cutting the flashing in half then I just use a little engraver and scratch in the nursery I bought it from, what kind of tree it is and the planting date (month/year) I put labels on all the trees on my whole property for under 30$

03CDD75A-8853-44D6-8B6D-EFF16765FAD6.jpeg5F08C5FD-BD50-4B24-A3CF-6C1C96200065.jpegAB17E623-2150-4462-9D81-10EE1AB0DEEB.jpeg423843B8-1E0A-4614-BDF1-DC1DBF326620.jpegCA2EB1C7-567C-4343-BA52-7EDCD17754A7.jpeg26225CEA-0134-4150-9C3C-A70D128A1EDD.jpeg
I have quite a few of their trees that I let fruit this year. First 3 and picture 5 are crossbow. The last is 30-06 and I forget the red fleshed guy. I can definitely keep you updated as we progress through the growing season.

Had to update on those Winter Gold trees...they are huge and growing bigger...both are outside the top of the 5' cages and adding height and vegetative growth (and I haven't fertilized yet!)
Was a bit worried as they were a slow starter but man have they shot up fast!
View attachment 43873
View attachment 43874
Were these planted this year? I planted one winter gold this spring. It was a long whip. I haven’t really checked on it yet.

Were these planted this year? I planted one winter gold this spring. It was a long whip. I haven’t really checked on it yet.
Mine were planted in November 2021 and they were looking pretty whip like at the time. Of course the drop tine that I planted then looked like a whip as well till it doubled in height and added tons of leaves in the first year.

Last edited:
Mine were planted in November 2021 and they were looking pretty whip like at the time. Of course the drop tine that I planted then looked like a whip as well till it doubled in height and added tons of leaves in the first year.
My drop tines have been good growers too.

I really liked planting those trees in the late fall and all of them have responded well. If I could get ahold of more trees then I would totally do the majority of my planting in November. And the way PA's seasons work, I only had to miss bear season to make it happen and I don't hunt bear.

Noticed Terry isn't selling Wickson this year. Wonder why. Anybody in zone 4 or even zone 3 trying crossbow? Was going to trry a few up in zone 3b. Have droptine and 30-06 on antonovka there.

Not sure if terry has been in business long enough to see a large crossbow tree yet.

There's a site called ciderauction.com that has $4 scions, but you need 10 at a time. Asked him if he can get me 20 kerr's 5 sweet 16 and 5 wickson, all for zone 3. I wanted one tree for home for each major breeder of tree, like minesotta, the purdue/rutgers lab, cornell. Wickson is from Etter. Think those 3 might be some good zone 3 guinea pigs.

Noticed Terry isn't selling Wickson this year. Wonder why. Anybody in zone 4 or even zone 3 trying crossbow? Was going to trry a few up in zone 3b. Have droptine and 30-06 on antonovka there.

Not sure if terry has been in business long enough to see a large crossbow tree yet.

There's a site called ciderauction.com that has $4 scions, but you need 10 at a time. Asked him if he can get me 20 kerr's 5 sweet 16 and 5 wickson, all for zone 3. I wanted one tree for home for each major breeder of tree, like minesotta, the purdue/rutgers lab, cornell. Wickson is from Etter. Think those 3 might be some good zone 3 guinea pigs.
I’ve tried getting Kerr from CiderAuction last year and year prior. Both years, they called just before shipping (March, order placed in Oct/Nov) and said they didn’t have Kerr to ship. Did get quite a few other varieties that were all beautiful scions, just a heads up saying good luck with the Kerr!

If you don't get the Wickson let me know, I have some. I may be able to get you a Kerr or two if you need it.