CROSSBOW CRABAPPLE TREE

White Oak

5 year old buck +
If any of you fine folks have a Crossbow tree planted from Northern Whitetail Crabs / Whitetail crabs , could you do me a solid and take a picture of the fruit on the tree when you get a chance ?. Whitetail crabs recently updated their website and the new picture for the "Crossbow crab" looks more like the , 30-06 than the past pictues of the Crossbow , the past Crossbow pictures showed a really dark red fruit and I thought not as round if my memory is correct. I have one Crossbow planted in 2020 that hasn't fruited yet, I'm just curious if the fruit will look like the old or new pictures. Thanks

Proprietary varieties. They could change what they sell as a “crossbow“ if they want, I suppose. Best to ask them what you’ve got.

Proprietary varieties. They could change what they sell as a “crossbow“ if they want, I suppose. Best to ask them what you’ve got.
I already asked...Terry said the "new" picture was just taken and the fruit wasn't ripe yet. It just looks different to me...maybe I'm wrong you be the judge . https://www.whitetailcrabs.com/order-here-2022/p/style-03-h9c3k https://www.northernwhitetailcrabs.com/whitetail-tree-selections

A lot of my apples look different this year. I attribute that to drought, extra heat, and less sunlight due to all of the smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like they mixed things up on their new website and used the wrong photo. The text description mentions 2 different varieties too. Likely just sloppy.

They call it a true red crab. I suppose that means red fleshed. I’d expect them to have red skin before ripe, not change from green to red as they ripen. But that is based on the few red crabs I have.

Looks like they mixed things up on their new website and used the wrong photo. The text description mentions 2 different varieties too. Likely just sloppy.

They call it a true red crab. I suppose that means red fleshed. I’d expect them to have red skin before ripe, not change from green to red as they ripen. But that is based on the few red crabs I have.
That is exactly why I was suspicious of the new website and name, lol.

If any of you fine folks have a Crossbow tree planted from Northern Whitetail Crabs / Whitetail crabs , could you do me a solid and take a picture of the fruit on the tree when you get a chance ?. Whitetail crabs recently updated their website and the new picture for the "Crossbow crab" looks more like the , 30-06 than the past pictues of the Crossbow , the past Crossbow pictures showed a really dark red fruit and I thought not as round if my memory is correct. I have one Crossbow planted in 2020 that hasn't fruited yet, I'm just curious if the fruit will look like the old or new pictures. Thanks

Sure looks like the picture of a 30-06 to me too. My guess is the tree you have is is a Crossbow, but the web-site pics are messed up. I have one of each on order for 2022, but none in the ground and fruiting, so I can't help you with pictures. Now I have my fingers crossed, but no matter what I get, they're going in the ground.

The new pic of Crossbow lacks calex (I think that's the right term?)on the bottom of the apples, my 30-06 and the pics online do not. The old crossbow is too zoomed out and grainy for me to tell if they have them or not. I think they're being straight with you that they're just not ripe.

The new pic of Crossbow lacks calex (I think that's the right term?)on the bottom of the apples, my 30-06 and the pics online do not. The old crossbow is too zoomed out and grainy for me to tell if they have them or not. I think they're being straight with you that they're just not ripe.
Thanks I'm sure they are being straight with me....and I realize the old pic is grainy...maybe it's the calex ? because to me the bottom of the apples looks different.

Sure looks like the picture of a 30-06 to me too. My guess is the tree you have is is a Crossbow, but the web-site pics are messed up. I have one of each on order for 2022, but none in the ground and fruiting, so I can't help you with pictures. Now I have my fingers crossed, but no matter what I get, they're going in the ground.
Thank you Junkie It's not really a big deal. I have one crossbow I planted last year and hasn't fruited , I'm just curious as to what the fruit will actually look like. Going by the new pictue it looks like a 30-06

Hey Apple Junkie did you receive your 2022 order from Whitetail crabs yet ?. I'm just wondering how the trees looked. My Droptines, 30-06 and Crossbow planted in 2020 are doing great and loaded with blossoms . I also had several pear trees with blossoms but I think a late frost a week or two ago must of killed the blossoms .

White,
I know you weren't asking me but I received my WT Crabs this past week. Six 30.06, 3 Crossbow and 3 droptines.
We put them in the ground and fenced them last Wednesday 4-13-22.20220413_141925732_iOS.jpg20220413_141907326_iOS.jpg

White,
I know you weren't asking me but I received my WT Crabs this past week. Six 30.06, 3 Crossbow and 3 droptines.
We put them in the ground and fenced them last Wednesday 4-13-22.View attachment 42422View attachment 42423
Looking good Ruffdude....those are the same 3 WT Crabs I have planted. I'm in zone 7 a warmer climate than Pennsylvania so I want to make sure their droptimes will be in Nov-Dec for me before I buy more.

Hey Apple Junkie did you receive your 2022 order from Whitetail crabs yet ?. I'm just wondering how the trees looked. My Droptines, 30-06 and Crossbow planted in 2020 are doing great and loaded with blossoms . I also had several pear trees with blossoms but I think a late frost a week or two ago must of killed the blossoms .

I got my trees from Whitetail Crabs the first week of April. I planted to pots for now, but I will transplant to their final destinations this fall.

They look OK, but a bit leggy. I already pruned some off the leaders, but a trick I picked up from the guys at Cummins is to leave some extra “leader wood” on, but to knock off all the buds above the bud that I want to be the new leader. The wood where I knocked off the buds is now basically useless and be pruned back later. But in the mean time, it acts as a post I can tie the new leader to so it grows straight up. Next year when the new leader is established, ok to prune the "useless post" off. Ingenious technique.

Anyway, it’s still cold up here, so they’re still dormant but I am dying to see what comes of them. It’s good to have a little of everything, but I think I kinda like known crab varieties like Kerr, Wickson and Chestnuts. Love to get a few Dolgo too. I’ll have fun with these though. Good luck with yours!!

Crossbow - 30-06 - Droptine

Attachments

• 2022 04-09 Crossbow Planted to pot.jpg
    2022 04-09 Crossbow Planted to pot.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 2022 04-09 30-06 planted bare-root to pot.jpg
    2022 04-09 30-06 planted bare-root to pot.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 2022 04-09 Droptine Planted bare-root to pot.jpg
    2022 04-09 Droptine Planted bare-root to pot.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 48
I got my trees from Whitetail Crabs the first week of April. I planted to pots for now, but I will transplant to their final destinations this fall.

They look OK, but a bit leggy. I already pruned some off the leaders, but a trick I picked up from the guys at Cummins is to leave some extra “leader wood” on, but to knock off all the buds above the bud that I want to be the new leader. The wood where I knocked off the buds is now basically useless and be pruned back later. But in the mean time, it acts as a post I can tie the new leader to so it grows straight up. Next year when the new leader is established, ok to prune the "useless post" off. Ingenious technique.

Anyway, it’s still cold up here, so they’re still dormant but I am dying to see what comes of them. It’s good to have a little of everything, but I think I kinda like known crab varieties like Kerr, Wickson and Chestnuts. Love to get a few Dolgo too. I’ll have fun with these though. Good luck with yours!!

AJ ... What are your thoughts on Wickson? I have planted several last 2 years to add to my cider varieties and they are doing well so far. A lot of low branching that I have pruned to try and raise 1st level of branches higher.

AJ ... What are your thoughts on Wickson? I have planted several last 2 years to add to my cider varieties and they are doing well so far. A lot of low branching that I have pruned to try and raise 1st level of branches higher.

I think you’re going to be happy with your Wickson crabs. I have two, one planted in 2017 on M.111, the other planted in 2019 on P.18. The one planted in 2017 was trying to produce fruit by 2019, but I picked off blossoms and new apples until last year, and by then I could not easily reach them so I let them go. In my experience, the Wickson has been fast growing, disease resistant, and holds apples late into the fall/winter. My other tree, planted in 2019 is growing equally well. I don’t know jack about cider, but I guess guys that do, like ‘em. My guess is that you’ll be pleased with your
Wicksons too.

2018 - 2021

Attachments

• 2018 05-17.jpg
    2018 05-17.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 2021 10-28.jpg
    2021 10-28.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 43
I was under the impression that Wickson wasn’t terribly disease resistant from Cummins description and had avoided it because of that. Do you suffer from CAR in your area?

I was under the impression that Wickson wasn’t terribly disease resistant from Cummins description and had avoided it because of that. Do you suffer from CAR in your area?

From Whitetail Crabs description, it says overall good disease resistance w/ exception to CAR.

Cummins says "Wickson is very slightly susceptible to fireblight, scab, and cedar-apple rust."

Sounds good.