CROSSBOW CRABAPPLE TREE

A6DAD56B-820A-4B82-8D42-128A0A5D869B.png
Cummins says "Wickson is very slightly susceptible to fireblight, scab, and cedar-apple rust."
Well Cummins have quite a contradiction in their description I see what your talking about if you scroll down farther they show it as “Susceptible” I guess I never looked at the description that closely to notice the discrepancy before.

I was under the impression that Wickson wasn’t terribly disease resistant from Cummins description and had avoided it because of that. Do you suffer from CAR in your area?

I can tell you the Wickson is at least somewhat susceptible to CAR. I have never seen any sign of it on my trees, but I know from others here, it can be a problem in some areas.

Wickson have been doing very well for me and they are turning into one of my favorites. I have seen no disease issues with mine and I think my oldest are 6-7 years old now.
I planted a wickson from NWC last year in March that’s now 8 feet tall and has five huge Limbs covered in leaves and soon to be buds. I got a couple crabs off it (missed when pinching off) and will try to pinch them all again. Very impressed with this variety.

Anyone else’s crossbow and 30-06 being slow to pop leaves? I have at least small leaves on almost every other variety but these are just taking a while.

I've grafted winter wildlife, droptine, and 30-06 the past 2 years. 30-06 still not opening yet. Droptine just started a few days ago. Winter wildlife did probably 3+ weeks ago. Same as last year. I don't have any crossbow.

My drop tines are getting ready to flower I could see a little bit of red buds starting to pop near some of the leaves. My winter gold have a good amount of big leaves but no flowering yet. I just wanted to see if the trees are just a bit slower or if I had an issue.

Anyone else’s crossbow and 30-06 being slow to pop leaves? I have at least small leaves on almost every other variety but these are just taking a while.
I planted 30-06 , Droptine and Crossbow in 2020 , The first to pop leaves this spring in zone 7 and blossoms were the Droptines, the 30-06 and Crossbow were behind. Not really a bad thing because most of my pear blossoms got hit by a late frost a week or two ago . As for Crabapples I only have 5 from blue hill and they all leafed out before the Whitetail crabs....they were only planted in 2021 so no blossoms yet....nothing scientific just my observation....and I like that the crossbow and 30-06 pop late....in case of a late frost

My O6 and crossbow are just starting in the last week also. I’m glad, it snowed 8 days ago.

I planted a wickson from NWC last year in March that’s now 8 feet tall and has five huge Limbs covered in leaves and soon to be buds. I got a couple crabs off it (missed when pinching off) and will try to pinch them all again. Very impressed with this variety.
Can you expand on pinching off? What are you pinching off and why? @Derek Reese 29

We're at 1/2" green at most here. It's been snowing every week still so not worried about anything being behind yet. Hope they are behind.

It's advised to pinch off any flowers/fruits on young trees the first few years so that energy can go into building more roots/thicker wood.
Yep that’s why..the few flowers I missed turned into fruit on trees that had been in the ground 6 months and they notably did not add as much height nor width on the bases of the trees

It's advised to pinch off any flowers/fruits on young trees the first few years so that energy can go into building more roots/thicker wood.
Maybe so on small trees , no way you could do it on the trees I planted in 2020 from Whitetail Crabs, they are huge already with tons of flowers and the wood is getting thick.

29 deg F last nite and going to hit 42 deg F here. We have been ~15 degrees below normal average for April this year. Not seeing much if any bud movement yet.

Supposed to get down to 22 deg F tonight and they are not forecasting that we will see low 60s for at least next 2 weeks. Very late spring.

Maybe so on small trees , no way you could do it on the trees I planted in 2020 from Whitetail Crabs, they are huge already with tons of flowers and the wood is getting thick.
I can definitely understand that. My droptine is going to be hard to get all of the flowers off this year. It doubled in size from 4-8ish feet and has lots of branches and I can see at least 6 dozen little red buds. I want at least another year of growth before I turn it loose to produce.

29 deg F last nite and going to hit 42 deg F here. We have been ~15 degrees below normal average for April this year. Not seeing much if any bud movement yet.

Supposed to get down to 22 deg F tonight and they are not forecasting that we will see low 60s for at least next 2 weeks. Very late spring.
Wow High of 78 here today , with a low of 56

I can definitely understand that. My droptine is going to be hard to get all of the flowers off this year. It doubled in size from 4-8ish feet and has lots of branches and I can see at least 6 dozen little red buds. I want at least another year of growth before I turn it loose to produce.
So I finally got some pictures of my trees and to my surprise (not really actually because it did very well last year) the Wickson from NWC had the most buds/flowers starting followed by the droptine and all the others had leaves starting at least. The 3 libertys that I got from Blue Hill as whips last year are all starting to leaf out really well and one even has a fair number of buds/flowers.
Wickson, planted 3/21
IMG_6173[1].JPG
Small 3' droptine planted 11/21
IMG_6169[1].JPG
Regular sized droptine planted 3/21 (this was the best grower of the bunch now between 6-7', started as 3-4' whip).
IMG_6174[1].JPG

Winter Gold planted 11/21
IMG_6167[1].JPG
Liberty from Blue Hill, planted 3/21
IMG_6172[1].JPG
30-06 planted 11/21
IMG_6168[1].JPG

Last edited:
Those are nice, well cared for trees. Pretty ground too.

Those are nice, well cared for trees. Pretty ground too.
thank you! I gained a ton of advice/knowledge from everyone on this site, you included! I just tried to follow it to the best of my ability! It's cool to see the payoff (bigger, healthier trees and some buds in year 2) and I'm hoping that continues!