Crossbow broadhead recommendation

bueller

I tested out the new crossbow this weekend and as advertised my groups at 15 yards were touching. This was with field points. I've read that once over about 300 fps fixed blade broadheads don't group well. But I had some thunderheads on hand from my compound bow so I figured I'd give them a chance (not a fan of expandables). They would not group at all even at only 15 yards. So now I'm looking for an expandable to use with my crossbow, any suggestions????

I am going to assume that you did try to tune them, correct?

I use Grim Reapers. They seem like they have all the bases covered.....but I've not killed a deer with them. Just like their reviews.

Rage crossbow broad heads shoot great out of my ten point.

I lined up the blades with the vanes. When they wouldn't even group at 15 yards I gave up. It may not be an issue with all the fixed blades but it seems that the 100 grain thunderheads just aren't a good match.

This from the Barnett site:
"The design of some 3-blade broad heads is not conducive to accurate shooting with a crossbow. Some broad heads have an extremely large surface area, blade shape, or other design characteristics that, when used on an arrow shaft of 20" or less will not fly well. The shorter the arrow you are shooting, the more difficult it is to get extremely tight groups with some broadheads. If the heads have too much surface area or a very large cutting diameter, they will plane easily from catching air in flight."

You might want to look at the 100gr. Muzzy Trocar Broadheads. I have seen a few good reviews from xbow users, might be worth getting a 3 pack and trying them?

Rage crossbow broad heads shoot great out of my ten point.
This is what I use also.

I have shot the regular old 100 grain three blade muzzy through a Parker crossbow with no problems. It is very accurate out to 40 yards. I haven't shot it father than that.

I use rage as well - when I tried to use fixed blade even with tuning and the like the speed just seemed to be too much. Things where great with target points, but would quickly go to crap with a fixed blade. I also found a heavier broadhead seemed to work better also at least for me. I typically am not a fan of a mechanical broadhead, but the one deer I did kill with it didn't go far and the head did it's job just fine.

swhacker. I am not a fan of Rage. I feel they glance too much. I have yet to see a mechanical broadhead perform as flawlessly as swhacker.

I picked up a pack of slick tricks and they are much more consistent than the thunderheads were out of my crossbow. I only went out to 25 yards so far but I'm pretty impressed. Also grabbed a pack of swackers to throw in my kit in the event I wasn't happy with the slick tricks.