Crockpot Recipe

PackerBacker

5 year old buck +
My wife is not a fan of venison (I think it is mental over actual taste). I sneak the hamburger into meals when she isn't home to smell the venison cooking or when I grill outside and she hasn't figured it out yet. Have a roast that I want to try to prepare in crockpot to see if I can sneak that by but my buddy's wife has me a little scared as she is telling me it is really hard to keep venison from drying out in crockpot.

Any of you have a good recipe that I might be able to try that is proven to work?

One that we do is very simple.

16 oz bottle of regular coke
1 packet lipton onion soup mix

Season the roast on all sides with salt and pepper. Sear all sides in a frying pan quickly with some vegetable oil. Use a cast iron skillet if you have one.

Put the roast, coke and lipton in a crock pot and let it go for several hours. It will pull apart with ease, and serve on a dollar bun.

Honestly, it doesnt hide the venison "taste" completely, but its very good. We have done it many times for get togethers and lots of men, women and children eat it up.

Pressure cook it if you can. I haven't done one outside a jar yet, but the stuff in the jar that I pressure cooked is fantastic and not a hint of game flavor.

My wife put bay leaves in the crock with venison. All other ingredients are just like for beef.

Pressure cook it if you can. I haven't done one outside a jar yet, but the stuff in the jar that I pressure cooked is fantastic and not a hint of game flavor.

She got one of those for Christmas from someone - might have to take the cooker out of the box and give that a try.

I'm new to cooking with a pressure cooker, so maybe do a little googling before you try it. But what I've pressure canned cannot be beat. That stuff is amazingly easy and tastes better than any other way I've prepped venison. The couple times I canned venison, it went fast. Blew through 12 jars in a month. After popping that last jar, it really drove home the fact that I haven't shot a deer since who knows when? Maybe 2010?

I normally put a can or 2 of french onion soup in with potatoes and carrots. I put some seasoning on the roast and set it on low for 8 hours and its as moist as any beef roast we have made.

One that we do is very simple.

16 oz bottle of regular coke
1 packet lipton onion soup mix

Season the roast on all sides with salt and pepper. Sear all sides in a frying pan quickly with some vegetable oil. Use a cast iron skillet if you have one.

Put the roast, coke and lipton in a crock pot and let it go for several hours. It will pull apart with ease, and serve on a dollar bun.

Honestly, it doesnt hide the venison "taste" completely, but its very good. We have done it many times for get togethers and lots of men, women and children eat it up.

I'm going to have to try this. We've never tried using coke before, we've always just used water.

I'm going to have to try this. We've never tried using coke before, we've always just used water.

This is probably our main roast recipe

Like BLB described Coke/Lipton Soup Mix, salt and pepper slow cook....very good!

We used Diet Coke one time and it worked just as well

Dr Pepper works too. "Sweeter" flavor in the meat.

coke, root beer, sprite, pretty much any soda will do. Add some of your favorite BBQ sauce at the end or on individual sandwiches if not everyone likes it that way.

Never tried soda before, I have always used beef broth. The wife also adds Bragg's liquid aminos.

I experimented once with smearing Dijon mustard all over a venison roast, adding 4 or 5 cloves of minced fresh garlic, and a large sweet onion cut up in bite-sized chunks. All into a crock-pot and simmered for about 5 hours. After that I added about 1 1/2 lbs. of baby Portabella mushrooms and finished slow-cooking for another 2 hours or so until meat falls off the bone and easily pulls apart. My sister and B.I.L. went nuts on it and she isn't wild about venison. Thought B.I.L. was gonna lick the crock clean !!

Just a blind experiment - followed no recipe - but it turned out fantastic. Got the idea from Dijon mustard on roast beef sandwiches.

Usually thats the beauty of a crock pot..... Anything goes....

One thing I would add to some of the above recipes would be try throwing some bacon slices over the roast. Bacon crisps up nice and adds quite a bit more flavor. Also another good add on is a can of golden mushroom soup with some heavy whipping cream.

Stu - How much maple syrup do you add ?? Or do you go by taste preference ??

I don't measure either - eyeball most everything. Parents were both good cooks and that's how they did things. Your description is close enough, Stu !! I'll give it a try.

Take your venison roast and soak it in salt water for at least a day. Then put it in a baggie with a can of beef broth for a day. Put the broth and meat in the crock pot with a stick of butter. Turn it on low, go to work. Dump the fluid, shred the meat, return to crock pot, dump in your favorite BBQ sauce and you have pulled venison sandwiches. Even my mother liked those and she was not a venison fan.

Take your venison roast and soak it in salt water for at least a day. Then put it in a baggie with a can of beef broth for a day. Put the broth and meat in the crock pot with a stick of butter. Turn it on low, go to work. Dump the fluid, shred the meat, return to crock pot, dump in your favorite BBQ sauce and you have pulled venison sandwiches. Even my mother liked those and she was not a venison fan.

I would try beer instead of salt water. Do not dump all of the beer out before the beef broth.

all these posts and nobody mentions beer. Sad situation.....

Seems I've seen you mention BEER on a number of other occasions, Bur. Land tours, habitat work, watching sports, cooking, picnics .......... I guess if someone was gonna mention cooking with beer, it might as well be you !!!!!!!!!! :D ( I agree with you - beer's great with venison or beef ) ;)

I love how these food threads take off and run with a load of ideas !!! We read 'em and get to starving - then want to go cook something !!!:cool: