Crimping white clover?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
On the heels of a successful laydown of dead balansa, YSC, and red clover, I got to wondering if crimping isn't the way to make throw and _______ work with white clover?

I've tried mowing clover as low as possible during the hottest part of the summer to try to slow it down, but it doesn't have that scorch period as close the center pole as I am.

I used to be able to grow some big tonnage ladino clover that would go north of 18" and be so thick, you couldn't get oats within 6" of the ground if you were broadcasting. I think that biomass would be big enough and weak enough by that point that it should lay down nicely, and if hit a second time, it could crush all those stems and make that stuff come back from the soil, instead of a half mowed stem. I wonder if that would slow down that clover enough to get something up through it?

Talking white dutch? Might be a good idea to hit it with 24D, then wait a week or two, then spray gly when you plant.

Crimping might work one year and then might not the next. Depending on how the root system did recently. Could also depend on how much covering thatch you have that yar too.

Was going to dethatch my home's lawn this fall and frost seed dutch white into the lawn. I've read it's a better choice than ladino for regular mowed lawns. LEaving some space between the food plot and lawn, like 20 yards.

I'm trying to stick with 3 clovers for at home and for the camp up north. Trying Berseem, ladino, and medium red at home. Looking for a good zone n3 sandy soil clover.

The reason it does so well in often mowed lawns can be bad for no till enviroments. There might be some folks who need a very durable clover for drought periods or poor fertility soils.

Talking white dutch? Might be a good idea to hit it with 24D, then wait a week or two, then spray gly when you plant.

Crimping might work one year and then might not the next. Depending on how the root system did recently. Could also depend on how much covering thatch you have that yar too.

Was going to dethatch my home's lawn this fall and frost seed dutch white into the lawn. I've read it's a better choice than ladino for regular mowed lawns. LEaving some space between the food plot and lawn, like 20 yards.

I'm trying to stick with 3 clovers for at home and for the camp up north. Trying Berseem, ladino, and medium red at home. Looking for a good zone n3 sandy soil clover.

The reason it does so well in often mowed lawns can be bad for no till enviroments. There might be some folks who need a very durable clover for drought periods or poor fertility soils.
White dutch or Ladino.

Spraying is off the table. I've got too many good broadleaves to be able to use 2-4D.

White dutch or Ladino.

Spraying is off the table. I've got too many good broadleaves to be able to use 2-4D.

I doubt it would set it back enough. I’ve crimped a clover chicory blend before and the clover bounced back pretty quick but it took out my chicory (opposite of what I had hoped for)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you talking about crimping .....as in with a "roller crimper"? I roller crimped rye with decent clover under it. It does not phase medium red clover or Alice white clover.....it may possibly set it back a day or two. If anything....I think it may stimulate the clover and get it growing more. It takes a long stem to effectively roller crimp / terminate a crop.....IMO.

I am still having my all-in one ATV planting implement on the burner. One idea was to combine a seed hopper, cultipacker, and then a sprayer behind the cultipacker. Adding a sprayer nozzle to the crimper may not be a bad idea. I agree with foggy, clover is tough to kill once established. A light pint an acre of 41% might be the trick.

I'm liking what I'm seeing with balansa. That seems to wrap up right around the time I want to restart things. Still need to watch the rest of the fall to see how it goes.

I'm liking what I'm seeing with balansa. That seems to wrap up right around the time I want to restart things. Still need to watch the rest of the fall to see how it goes.
Does Balansa over-winter for you?

Does Balansa over-winter for you?
It was really an eye opener for me that it dried off when it did. I was under the assumption that clovers never die in season, because I've never seen it. With balansa being all done by early august and full of viable seed, it could be the missing link for throw and roll clover where YSC didn't volunteer for nothing. It sure laid down nicely too.