Creating Cover

andersont@maccray.k12.mn.

Yearling... With promise
Hoping to create more cover on our property. We have very few trees to hinge cut so that is not an option. I'm planning to plant some conifer, switchgrass, spray out brome grass and allow early successional growth. Wondering if it would be a bad idea to intentionally plant some goldenrod seeds to create a quick growing perennial that comes back year after year. Thanks for any input.

Is it low land? Wet land, dry land? What zone?

Located in Eastern South Dakota, dry with descent to sandy soil

Hopefully others more in your area can offer advice but us northerners around the Great Lakes really do not have problems growing trees and shrubs and experiences may not translate well.

Think conifer windbreaks/shelter belts would be a top priority out there. Dakotas think have plenty of grasses and kinda associate golden rod with that too so probably grows fine.

I have a fair amount of goldenrod on my hill and it does stand thru winter pretty well but it is not a tall cover and have advantage of plenty of trees and shrubs so goldenrod is not like a cover magnet or anything by me.

Now sloughs and cattails are good out that way but maybe you are too sandy to develop that kind of cover.

South Dakota has programs for private landowners to cost share habitat improvements, and you're not required to give up any land rights. Have a look at their site and maybe get one of their guys out to do a consult. I'd also look around your neighborhood for what is native to the area, or introduced and doing well. The closer you are to what is supposed to be there, the easier it'll be. Don't try to grow something that isn't in the neighborhood.

1651810715528.png

Golden rod seems to be a preferred area to hide fawns in the spring and summer in our area of NY. Probably any think cover will attract deer all year long, but stick to what is local to your area. Just my two cents - good luck!

Located in Eastern South Dakota, dry with descent to sandy soil

You should evaluate how native grasses do in your area. They are ok on decent soil, but a waste of time on the sandy soils of central Minnesota.

If you are not going to grow apples, I would plant strings and clumps of red cedar on the sandy soil. Let the grasses grow in between.

A strategically placed wind break of cedars and shrubs such as plums might also work. The cedar windbreak could be used to enhance a pheasant wintering area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talk to your local agencies and see what advice they offer up. Government programs can be great, but they often come with rules....that come with penalties if you don't comply. Nothing is free. If you want natives....the best thing is to release the seed bank and put up some bird wires and let mother nature do her thing. You can do some planting to help things along, but try to work WITH mother nature and what you have already vs trying to force something that is going to require a lot of management and work in the long run. The less you have to mess with it, the less you disturb it, the more the critters will use it!